PDA

View Full Version here: : 20 inch SDM Telescope Ordered

Rodstar
26-08-2006, 09:14 AM
It's official. I have ordered an f/5 20" Obsession-style dob from Peter Read of SDM Telescopes. :)

If you haven't checked out their website, it is at sdmtelescopes.com.au

From all I have read, heard and seen, SDM scopes are as good or better than Obsessions. They use the same mirrors (if you want), the same alt azimuth bearings, and the finish of the scopes is so professional as to put any furniture you may have to shame.

My scope will have an OMI Torus mirror, and will be fitted with a CR2 moonlight focuser. It will have a powerboard, digital encoders, and have Kendrick dew heaters fitted for primary, second and the EP holder, and a fan for the primary. Also, as standard inclusions, it has a light shroud and removable wheelbarrow handles.

One aspect of Peter's service which I find quite extraordinary is that he is going to deliver the scope to my door (in NSW, he is based in Victoria) without charge. The plan is that it will be delivered for New Moon in November.

I can't wait. :cool: :party: :jump2: :jump: :love: :nerd: :lol:

sheeny
26-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Cool!:thumbsup: Congratulations Rod!

Your should be able to see 3 days ahea... no wait a minute, millions of years into the past with that!;)

Al.

davidpretorius
26-08-2006, 09:32 AM
WOW, that is service!

top purchase, can't wait to get a look thru one of the large diameter scopes one day

Starkler
26-08-2006, 09:59 AM
20" f5 :eyepop:

You'll also need to get a nice stable ladder too.

RB
26-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Awesome my friend, I'm so happy for you, it's a dream setup and look forward to your tours of the universe.

First up Eta "Carina", I think.....:D

Rodstar
26-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks guys. I am looking forward to revisiting some of those close doubles, and driving a proverbial Mack Truck between them!

Geoff, I actually investigated ladders before settling on the f/5. I wanted to be sure that I could find something that I would be comfortable observing with. I have found a product which consists of two or three steps leading up to a platform which is at the perfect height for zenith. It folds flat for easy transportation. Google Grahams Ladders, and you will see what I am talking about.

Ziggy
26-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Congratulations Rod....I'm not in the least bit jealous :P

I haven't really considered any of these big dobs, but having looked through some of the websites of the big American companies, it's certainly got me interested.

I see SDM only make 18" as their smallest size. Does anyone know of any manufacturers in Australia making truss dobs in the 14" - 16" range? I tried googling, and searching here, but couldn't find anything.

Sometime down the road I could be interested. Has anyone ever ordered a large scope from overseas? I just find it hard to imagine the cost after transerring to Aussie dollars, then adding shipping, GST, customs etc. Will make a very expensive scope out of range for most people. Shame really, cause they look very nice.

Anyway, well done Rod. And great to hear about the excellent service you are receiving too.

Rodstar
26-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks Ziggy.

FYI, the freight cost quoted to me by Obsession for a 20" f/5 was $US1,400, which, by my reckoning, equates to about $AUD1,850.

By ordering locally, you can rely on post sale support, which, with a purchase of this size, is a must IMHO.

wavelandscott
26-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Congratulations Rod!

Sounds like a great bit of gear...I look forward to seeing your scope in action.

You are now just a few Naglers, an Argo Navis and Telrad away from "bliss" ;)

What did you decide on the Paracorr?

It should all be sweet. I'm happy for you.

xstream
26-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Congratulations Rod!

I'm sure you're going to just love it.

Peter is only a short distance from where we live. So he should stop by here on his way to you, so we can make sure it is in excellent operating order. :P

Starkler
26-08-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm after exactly the same thing, but have yet to find anyone in Oz doing it commercially. I did ask SDM about making a smaller one, but they were not interested.

astronut
26-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Congratulations Rod:thumbsup: Please keep us informed on the performance of the "Beast"
We're (my club) hopefully (on funding) going to purchase a 30" SDM in the not too distant future.:)

stringscope
26-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Wow :eyepop: Way cool Rod :thumbsup: . Can't wait to see it at the next SPSP.

Cheers

Rodstar
26-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks everyone. I suspect I won't be able to quietly observe "in a corner" at star parties ever again with the size of this baby!

Scott, I will see how the performance is at f/5 without a paracorr, and if I am unhappy with coma (which is likely to be a lot less than f/4.5 would have been) then I will probably invest in a paracorr. I have pushed my budget to its limit already without a paracorr.....and I would rather buy a Nagler or Pentax EP rather than a paracorr next time I have a spare $560 lying around....

h0ughy
26-08-2006, 12:34 PM
rod change your signature mate! Nice purchase too!

iceman
26-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Can't wait to see this beauty in action.

What's the FL?

You'll have to think about what eyepieces you want now, since you probably don't have too much in the shorter FL since your LX was 2.5m FL.

astroboy
26-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Congrats Rod
Thought I would include a pic of the 24" thats on its way to us , I hope to have the mirror from Steve Kennedy in October , if its as shinny as the mirror box we'll be doing well.

Zane

Rodstar
26-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Mike,

Apparently the specs are exactly the same as per Obsession scopes, so based on the Obsession specs, the 20" f/5 has a focal length of 100", ie 254cm, which is EXACTLY the same as was my LX200. In other words, same magnification as before.

HOWEVER, as the 20" will be able to handle up to 1000x on a regular basis, I will, as you suggest, have to get some shorter focal length Ep's. I might have to start by making Matt an offer for the return of my 13mm T6 Nagler. :P

Other specs:
2" thick primary mirror, with 96% reflectivity
3.1 inch secondary mirror, with 98% reflectivity
11 lbs upper assembly
100 lbs lower assembly (25 lbs with wheelbarrow handles)
Height at zenith 8 feet
limiting stellar magnitude 16.5
Rayleigh Resolution limit 0.27 arc seconds
Lower assembly dimensions: 31"x29"x25"x27" (huge!)

Lee
26-08-2006, 01:40 PM
I'm not happy - I bought one eyepiece and it rained for 2 weeks - imagine what a 20" Dob will do guys..... would you mind moving from the Central Coast before you take delivery? :P;)

Seriously - sounds fantastic, hope you don't get vertigo mate....

Rodstar
26-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Very nice Zane. :eyepop:

Peter Read was telling me this morning that the glossy finish can tend to show the finger marks. I for one don't mind...I am happy to have any excuse I need to polish my baby...

I would love to visit when you have taken delivery. Maybe we can compare scopes after mine arrives?? I am sure I could find a few other people who would like to play, too!

What are you going to call your scope? I am going to give mine a name...I am open to suggestions.

iceman
26-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Have you considered how you'll transport it? Will it fit in the back of the van? How will you lift it into the car? I imagine the rocker box will turn out very heavy!

Rodstar
26-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Yeah Mike, it will fit very nicely in the back of my Odyssey. I have 10 weeks to build a ramp. I will use the wheelbarrow handles to get it in and out. If Cheryl on the Obsession DVD can do it, I think I can manage! ;)

iceman
26-08-2006, 02:51 PM
And with your DIY skills, you'd better start this weekend :P :lol:

Astroman
26-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Drool x 100000000 magnitudes.......

That will be one nice scope. I had thought of getting a 20" one day, maybe as an inheritance, but would settle for an 18" f4.5 I think that would be my limit.

Well done on this investment.

astroboy
26-08-2006, 05:35 PM
As far as names go I think Scope-A-Saurus or Dobzilla and its looking forward to the scopeout , hope I don't strain the mirror on some distant quasar:P

Zane

AstroJunk
26-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Hey Rodstar - Fantastic.

As the proud owner of the other SDM 20" f5 I know you'll NEVER regret a second of it!!!

Give me a shout if you want the low down on living with the beast (and I'll post a pictute of my ladder sometime:) ). BTW, Black is the best colour.

Check the link in my sig for more ...

Go here http://www.sdmtelescopes.com.au/johnconnellycustomscopes.html for 16 inchers - these are very nice.

Rodstar
26-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Hey Astrojunk, so you are the bloke with "Blackie". I thought I saw an IceInSpace T-shirt in the pictures of SDM-6 on the website.

Great looking scope!

I would love to see the ladder you are using. I have seen a ladder which has three steps leading to a platform at a height of 86cm. Just perfect if observing at zenith, I hope. Happy to hear anything you have to share!

AstroJunk
26-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Bunnings - 6 foot double sided ladder, most steps on rear side removed, the rear braced, steps then used on front side to make 6 inch steps which are much more comfortable for viewing. And an extra grab rail too.

A 6' ladder is plenty long enough for the 20".

On the negative side - this is a cheap ladder (around a hundred bucks or so) so it is on the heavy side - ArgoNavis's 8 foot is lighter (please comment AN). Also the steps are thick, which makes it possible to get your foot stuck!

AstroJunk
26-08-2006, 09:58 PM
And by the way Zane, that finish on your baby is stunning!

Dobzilla is a fantastic name - Mine may get renamed to the black widdow due to the number of redbacks that seem to like living in it!

AstroJunk
26-08-2006, 10:04 PM
And another thing ...

Loading ramps:

http://www.husqvarna.com.au/node2178.asp?pid=77&cid=209

300 bucks, ultra light and perfect for a waggon (but too short for a 4x4)

[1ponders]
26-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Hey Rod, I checked out Jonathan's scope at astrofest. Sweeeeeett!!!

You lucky bugger :lol:

MarkN
26-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Good for you Rodstar!

I've also been looking at the SDM site for a while now since Don at Bintel told me about it. The 18" would suit nicely.

Can I ask how long it takes to assemble?

Mark.

Ziggy
27-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the info Rod. Definately agree that local support is very important. And all that postage can go towards some major accessories!

Will be a little while before I'm in a position to purchase anyway.....so will just drool at the pictures of the scopes in the meantime!

Rodstar
27-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Mark,

There are two ways I could interpret your question, so I will answer both ways.

1. If you mean how long is the set up time each time I want to observe, I am led to believe from the Obsession DVD that a scope of this design can be easily set up in 10 minutes. Whether this is true in real life, maybe others on this forum are in a better place to comment.

2. If you mean how long does it take for Peter Read to deliver a completed scope from the date of order, the delivery date Peter is working towards for me is 18 November. Given that I placed the order two days ago (25/8), that makes a total construction time of less than 3 months. The timeframe cannot be much shorter than this. The length of time beyond this principally depends on who is supplying the mirror. I have ordered an OMI Torus mirror, who also supply Obsession, and they have a very fast turnover rate. One supplier I was talking to in Australia for a slightly faster focal ratio (f/4.5) was talking in terms of 6-7 months for a mirror. I was not prepared to wait that long!:whistle:

Rodstar
27-08-2006, 11:32 AM
I had in mind something more like this:

http://www.grahams.com.au/grahams/index.cfm?ID=272&ProductView=613

They have one which is 86cm to the platform, which should be perfect for me to observe at the EP at zenith (8 feet)

Rodstar
27-08-2006, 11:49 AM
These are the final specs as confirmed by SDM today:

It includes

20” Premium optics from OMI with 96% reflective coating
3.1” secondary with 99% reflective coating
Moonlight CR2 focuser
8192 step encoders and mounting brackets
Plus power distribution rail (inside rocker box)
Plus wired fan
Plus 1000-Oaks dew heater system for telrad and eyepiece with 2 spare heater strap outlets and 1 constant 12v outlet for accessories
Plus auto sensing secondary mirror heater
Plus digital temp. gauge which monitors air temp and mirror tep.
Aluminium side bearings
Ebony Star on Teflon bearing surfaces (Teflon pre routed for servocat upgrade)
Superbly crafted marine ply cabinetry
Superfast modified secondary cage attachment system
Astro Systems spider and secondary holder
Fully wired ground board plus 6 meter power cable
Telrad
Barlowed laser collimator
Ripstop nylon shroud with monogrammed carry bag
Transport handles
Heavy duty Kydex on secondary cage (will not warp in the sun)
Heavy duty carry cases for secondary cage and truss poles
Personalized cast brass plaque-with your name and telescope details on it.

With an Argo Navis from Wildcard Innovations, that should keep me pretty happy for a while. :)

spacezebra
27-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Excellent news !!!

Cant wait to see the scope - looks like you will have it well and truly ready for Lostock, Wiruna and the Border Stargaze in 2007.

It will be great to see the comparison in mirrors when our 20" is finished.

Cheers Petra

RB
27-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Oh Rod, it sounds Fantastic !
Wishing you all the best mate with this new aquisition.

:)

AstroJunk
27-08-2006, 06:44 PM
Fully packed to fully functional in under 20 mins is realistic, 10 at a push if you don't stop to chat! And it's just as quick to put it back at the end of the night.

As for ladders - that 86 cm platform would work for me at 6' tall - but would be no use for anyone shorter, and you will share won't you;)

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15380&d=1154688806

Rodstar
27-08-2006, 07:31 PM
Now that is something to think about....

Isn't your scope 8' to the EP at zenith? An 86cm high platform (2' 10.25")would mean only another 5' 1.75" of height is needed to the EP, doesn't it? Now I know that my eyes are not at the peak of my skull, but allowing for loss of 3.5" for eye to skull-peak difference, and then adding .25" for additional height courtesy of the soles of my shoes (minus the diamonds),
wouldn't a person who is 5' 5" be able to reach the EP?

I am 5' 10" ish, so I figure that is perfect for me. I am confident even Ausastronomer is at least 5' 5". And those requirements are only at zenith. Anything lower than zenith, and severely height-challenged people (and the kids) will be able to see as well.

It's a good point you have raised. :rofl:

AstroJunk
27-08-2006, 07:59 PM
My eye is exactly 80cm below the center of the eyepiece (I've just measured it!), and that's bolt upright which isn't normally the case as the ladder is slightly away from the scope usually. In that photo of my mum in law (at a lanky 4'10") she's standing on a step 116 cm high - so with some basic maths I recon the platform would be just right for you but tip-toes for anyone smaller.

PS - that's a nice looking ladder!

Rodstar
27-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Sounds like I will be getting the next platform ladder up from the 86cm platform. After all, I need to be prepared, just in case your lanky mother-in-law should show up at my door for a look through SDM-12! :lol: :rofl:

Argonavis
27-08-2006, 08:42 PM
John Connelly of the Gold Coast used to make 16s, but the lack of readily available optics has put a hold on this.

http://www.sdmtelescopes.com.au/johnconnellycustomscopes.html

Peter Read will make you a 16 if you push, but the effort is just as much as an 18, so the price difference is marginal. You would be better off ordering an 18, or waiting for the long waited for GSO/Meade Lightbridge 16 inch telescopes at the unheard of price of $2500, if rumour is correct.

Robbos30
27-08-2006, 11:36 PM
Hi Rodstar,
My names peter Robbins,just new to this forum,just noticed your purchasing a 20 inch f/5 SDM

Robbos30
28-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Hi Rodstar,
My names Peter,i just noticed your purchasing a 20 inch f/5 sdm telescope from Peter Read vic.I'd just like to let you know from personal experience you have made a wise decision in choosing a vendor to purchase from .Peters workmanship is superb to say the least.I have Peters first commercial scope made SDM number 1, 30 inch f/4.8 dobsonian.I took possession of my baby in September 2005.It a big bugger.Since then i've had the servocat, kendric dew heaters added and all works magnificiently.Peter has an eye for extreme detail and knowing him for over 2 years is a genuine guy who loves the art of atm.BTW he's not paying me to say this.Nothing is too much trouble for him.A rare thing today.
I had a 20inch obsession f/5 from 1997 to mid 2005, and it worked great but the finish on Peters SDM scopes i must admit is superior to obsession in my opinion.They make a very nice scope but on getting my 30inch straight away the finish on Peters is noticably superior.He is also very invative.He adds his personal touch which is nice.Sdm's move very smoothly and Peter personally star tests every scope before he delivers.The 20 inch is an all round deep sky scope.The f/5 focal length produces very little coma so i've never needed a coma corector.You do need a step ladder to reach the eyepiece though.the 20 inch catagory show galaxy structure which is my passion and allows you about 15000 galaxies to view.Most things in the Urametria are visible.Best of all you dont need a 10 foot trailor like mine,it fits into most station wagons.The best i found was the late commodore wagons.It just freely wheeled in and heaps of room for the poles and a ham sandwich.My very best wishes for your future purchase and viewing.You'le fall in love it i'm sure.
Clear skys Peter Robbins.
PS.If you get a chance use the Roles Royce of eyepieces,in my oppinion use the Nagler series and televiews binoviews.A real space walk experience.
Cheers.:thumbsup:

iceman
28-08-2006, 05:57 AM
Welcome Peter! I was chatting with Rod this morning (I gave him a lift) about his new purchase, and boy we are both excited.. ;) Obviously him more than me :)

The biggest topic of discussion is what to "name" his new beast ;)

Rodstar
28-08-2006, 06:15 AM
Peter,

Welcome to the forum. You will find plenty to inspire you here.

15,000 galaxies to view sounds mighty fine to me. Through my 10" scope I have really enjoyed some of the brighter galaxies and planetaries, but I would like a deeper view, and to see more structure with direct vision. I am expecting an awesome experience when I take delivery of 20"!

As for transportation, I have it all sussed. I have an Odyssey (people mover) with fold down seats in the rear, and removable middle row of seats for a clear area with a depth of 1.9m and height of about 90-95cm. That is more than enough room for the 20", which at its highest point (side bearings) reaches approximately 86cm, and to fit in a 1.8m ladder. I just have to organise a ramp!

Your comments about the quality of Peter Read's scopes accords with everything I have heard. He is a quality craftsman, as well as a nice bloke to deal with.

Where do you go observing? One day I would love to sneak a look through your scope! :scared:

Robbos30
28-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Hi Rod,
Thanks for your quick reply to last nights note.Im home today with a sore back,not the result of the 30,fortunately,although she can be a jealous lady sometimes.I normally observe at Ron Knights place at Cambroon QLD and Leyburn on the darling downs.Leyburn is twice the distance as Rons place and the company there is just as friendly.I love sharing the images from the 30 with anyone who's interested.I've known Ron Knight for 10 years now and have always been impressed with his extensive knowledge of astronomy.I have spent many weekends with him in the past picking his brain and if it clouds out like it did on saturday just gone,enjoy the odd drop of astro port or two and talking astro turky with him.
The only other thing i would say about Peters scopes is that due to the imaculate finish,one may become very conscious of scratching the beautiful finish.I know i have and to date my 30 (VOYAGER),very origional,is still in perfect condition.When shes in storage i had a kingsize quilt altered to fit it snuggly so to reduce dust and acts i suppose like a padded parjama top.This also reduces any heat which comes through the trailor top or sides when in storage.As a joke with Peter, i had matching mittins made up for the polished wood wheel barrow handles.Im sure you'le love looking at it as much as looking through it.
Sorry if my reponses are a bit long.
Regards Peter.

Robbos30
28-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Hi Rod,
I look forward to your feed back regarding the quality of the images through the OMI Toris mirror.I havn't had any experience with this company and hope you get a great optic.Cheers.Peter.

ving
28-08-2006, 11:21 AM
i want aperture now!!!! :)

very cool rod :)

Ric
28-08-2006, 02:40 PM
I've just had a look at the website, their are some very impressive toys there and real works of art as well.
You are going to love that scope but how are you going to survive the wait until November, I had to wait 4 weeks for mine and I was climbing the walls.

cheers

RB
28-08-2006, 04:24 PM
G'day Peter,

Do you have any photos of that awesome scope of yours, we'd love to see some.

:thumbsup:

gary
28-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Hi Andrew,

See http://www.sdmtelescopes.com.au/SDM001.html

Best Regards

Gary Kopff
Managing Director
Wildcard Innovations Pty. Ltd.
20 Kilmory Place, Mount Kuring-Gai
NSW. 2080. Australia
Phone +61-2-9457-9049
Fax +61-2-9457-9593
sales@wildcard-innovations.com.au
http://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au

RB
28-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks Gary.

:thumbsup:

Robbos30
28-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Hi Rocket Boy,
Thanks for your request.An anternate web site to view pickies of the 30 is if you google sdm telescopes and lookat the 3rd web site from the bottom of page 2,People/Telescopes @queensland astrofest.My three other picks are the last 3 on the bottom.Cheers Peter.

gaa_ian
28-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Good on you Rod, welcome to the BIG Dob club !
I am very impressed with our 18" F4.5 & was out observing with it till 2 am on Sat night :eyepop:
I have found with the F4.5 it is quite selective on the eyepieces it likes.
Best view was with a 40 mm 2" widefield, would love to get a 28mm TV panoptic, as I am told any focal length longer that this is not using the whole mirror !
A 40mm 1 1/4 possol was like looking through a drainpipe !

Rodstar
04-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Hey everyone, check out the SDM website now (www.sdmtelescopes.com.au) .....the home page features Peter Read's speaking engagement at Lostock, and the order placed by yours truly (thanks Astrojunk!).

wavelandscott
04-09-2006, 10:43 PM
That is so cool (the website)...I can't wait to see your new scope!!!

Rodstar
17-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Time for an update.

Peter Read has advised today that he has already made most of the scope, he is finalising the secondary assembly at the moment. It looks like I will have a Moonlight filter slider mounted on the inside of the UT assembly, which allows any of three 2" filters (or larger opening for no filter) to be selected at any one time, rather than fumbling to change filters on the base of EPs'.

Spraying is not far away. :cool:

I wonder how James Mulherrin is going with that 20" mirror?! :whistle:

gaa_ian
17-09-2006, 10:46 PM
So Rod, what EP's do you plan to use with this scope ?
Same ones you have ATM ?

Rodstar
18-09-2006, 06:46 AM
Gaa_ian,

My finances (and SWMBO) dictate sticking with my current EP line up for a while, but down the track, the plan is something along the following lines:

31 Nagler (82x)
20 Nagler (127x)
13 Nagler (195x)
10 Pentax XW (254x)
7 Pentax XW (362x)
5 Pentax XW (508x)
Teleview 2x Barlow
Paracorr (if required)

Fortunately, I can pretty much make up that range of EPs from amongst my IIS observing buddies, so at least once per month, I'll have the perfect range! :D

gaa_ian
18-09-2006, 06:55 AM
Thanks Rod
No real surprizes there.
Gee ..... I need some IIS mates close by so I can play with those kind of EP's too :thumbsup:

RB
18-09-2006, 08:17 AM
Yes but these observing buddies would appreciate it if you showed up now and then to observe with them even if you are scopeless atm......:poke: :whistle:
:rofl:

Rodstar
18-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Andrew, a bit harsh mate, I was in Port Macquarie selling my scope last Saturday night.....all for a good cause...to finance the SDM that you will benefit from my friend!!:D

RB
18-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Yes I know, I know.
But you could have organised to meet and hand the scope over at Kulnura mate.
:whistle:
No one wanted to share the cigars with me!

:lol:

Rodstar
18-09-2006, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=Rocket Boy]Yes I know, I know.
But you could have organised to meet and hand the scope over at Kulnura mate.
[QUOTE]

That would have been no easier for Peter (Odlaw), than suggesting we dock at the International Space Station, and hand over the scope there.:lol: :P

AstroJunk
21-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Which one's yours then Rod?!?

Rodstar
22-09-2006, 07:58 PM
...you tease, Jonathan.....:lol: :rofl:

Actually, I can recognise the UTA which is mine...it has the gold Moonlite tri-focuser attached!

Rodstar
03-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Some pictures of the scope in progress, for those interested....

The wait is just about killing me!!!! :P

xstream
03-10-2006, 06:46 PM
It's looking good, Rod.

RB
03-10-2006, 06:57 PM
oh man, it's killing us too !

AstroJunk
03-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Tick, Tock,
Tick, Tock,
Tick ...

Rodstar
10-10-2006, 09:18 AM
I have just received word that my scope will not be ready until mid-December due to a delay in production at OMI Torus........Peter Read has been great in doing everything he can to push it along.

It seems that I am just going to have to wait a bit longer..... arrrrrrrrhhhhhhh!!! :scared: :doh:

wavelandscott
10-10-2006, 01:01 PM
And you thought waiting was going to be easy!!!

I'm sure Peter Read will do everything possible to speed the process along but remember what I read in a fortune cookie once, "good things come to he who waits"!

In the meanwhile, enjoy the "extra" time with your family...they will be scope orphaned/widowed soon enough :D

astro_nutt
10-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Hi Rod...
That is one impressive instrument!!!..congratulations to you and I wish you many years of enjoyment!
Here's a name or two..
Starchaser.
Galactic Voyager.
The Astroteer.
Cheers!!

GTB_an_Owl
10-10-2006, 02:07 PM
first one that comes to mind for me is

Starsolicitor

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
thinking , thinking, thinking

Rodstar
22-11-2006, 10:20 PM
To my dear fellow-Kulnurians,

I have most disappointing news.....James Mulherin (OMI) emailed me tonight to advise that due to production delays the mirror won't be shipped to Australia until early January. I think even delivery to Lostock is looking ambitious at this stage....I can't tell you how disappointed I am.

I miss my LX200 terribly.....oh to be able to just wander out the back and split some doubles before bed.....those were the good ol' days....

AstroJunk
22-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Boo :sadeyes:

These big mirrors are as rare as rocking horse doo-doo

Sorry to hear that - but the wait will be SO worth it!

seeker372011
22-11-2006, 10:28 PM
sorry to hear that...but you are welcome to share the views through my ETX 70 anytime you want

h0ughy
22-11-2006, 10:28 PM
so a d1ck smith 39 dollar special is looking good about now Rod??? Or not quite that bad yet?

Rodstar
22-11-2006, 10:31 PM
A finderscope is not much good without the main scope, Narayan! :whistle:

Thanks guys for your sympathy. I'll just have to take in the views through John Bambury's new 18" Obsession for the next few months.....I guess there are worse fates to suffer. :P

wavelandscott
22-11-2006, 11:08 PM
Sorry to hear your bad news...oh well the best laid plans of mice and men...

Cheer up, it won't be that long until you get to experience your dream :thumbsup:

h0ughy
22-11-2006, 11:19 PM
newsflash::D

OMI today announced their new work for the Dole Scheme where skilled staff are selected from WFTD opportunities from the neighbourhood.

"We are giving our first Job to Nigel, who fresh from the Ministerial Nigerian parliamentary School of Futures and Stock improvement and benevolent society scheme, is eager to fulfill his new job in the production line for large mirrors. Nigel is good with his hands, and despite the missing 2 fingers on each hand is quite capable of grinding his first mirror, for some Australian North of Sydney Australia" the manager was quoted as mumbling earlier today at lunch. "It is expected that Nigel will start after he gets his first pair of glasses for severe astigmatism.":whistle:

iceman
23-11-2006, 06:57 AM
ah what a shame Rod, I know how disappointed you are.

You're welcome to set the observing agenda at Kulnura on the 16th Dec as well!

astropolak
23-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Rod
I am sorry to hear about the mirror. You are welcomed to show me how to use the LX200, splitting doubles is not something I've learned a lot about yet...

On another note - is OMI the only decent mirror manufacturer in the world? The only way to keep the *******s honest is to face them to their competition.
The alternative is allowing them to charge as much as they want and deliver whenever they want...

RGDS Joe

Starkler
23-11-2006, 10:56 AM
No they are not.

For the 15" SDM I am getting built I wanted a 15" f4.8 mirror. OMI has this size/f-ratio as an available option on their website but didnt want to make one for me. It appears that they are geared up to churn out standard sizes for obsession scopes in maximum numbers and variances are unwanted delays.

I spoke to Mark Suchting of Deep Sky optics and even after paying extra for a custom focal length, I will be paying $750 less than what it would cost to import an OMI mirror.

From what I have read around the place, it seems that the only large truss dob maker providing reasonably instant gratification is Obsession Telescopes. This is largely due to the partnerships with OMI and others. For anything else its a rather long wait.

ausastronomer
28-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Rod,

Come to the party. You are not totally photon deprived, you have Noah's ED80 to play with until the big fella arrives:)

As you can appreciate it's far better to get a good mirror, than get it fast.

CS-John B

Rodstar
28-11-2006, 01:42 PM
The other way to look at it is that I already have the finderscope (the ED80), I just need the wee other bit (the 20 inches) ......

Yes, I keep telling myself that the wait will be worth it. With every new moon that comes and goes, the delivery day is nearer...:D

RB
28-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Rod I know it's not the same but if it's any consolation, I'll bring the 12" LX200 up next time mate and you can take us for a tour.

:)

Rodstar
28-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks RB, I'll look forward to that.

I have never actually seen your 12" LX200. Been wondering if it really exists!!? I want proof, man!

spacezebra
29-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Hang in there Rod

If Peter builds it - "it" will come. Sounds like a movie.

Cheers Petra

ausastronomer
29-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Just think Rod if you have to wait long enough you could be lucky and get Nigel's "2nd" mirror off the production line which should be a big improvement on his first :)

CS-John B

nightsky
30-11-2006, 12:03 PM
G'Day Rodstar,
I have a good idea how you feel, when I ordered my 18" DOB back in Oct 89
the weather was very bad in the US and they could not test it for a few weeks,then I was told it would arrive in Australia before Christmas,to cut a long story short, it was sitting in the Customs Dept for 10 days over the Christmas period but no one told me,Andrew Murrell lent me his station wagon to drive down to Sydney and pick it up from Customs 2nd week in Jan 90,but it was worth the wait,believe me when you get your scope,everything will be forgiven :)

Rodstar
30-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks guys and gal for the support....I am sure it will be worth the wait.

wavelandscott
30-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Good things come to he who waits...and his friends too :D

We are all anxious for you too...

Gama
30-11-2006, 10:26 PM
When i ordered my RCX400, it took them 3 months to deliver it. I know how the wait feels for such a time. But its been 1 year now, and time fly's past now.

Rodstar
31-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Had dinner last night with Peter Read (SDM), and a few other guys (John Bambury, Andrew Murrell, Gary Kopff) + some of the wives.

Peter is up in NSW doing some modifications to some Obsession telescopes for 3RF - 4x 18 inch and 2 x 25 inch telescopes. He is fitting dew systems, mirror thermometre, wire stalks, wiring truss poles, etc. It was nice to finally meet Peter, and see some of his handywork.

Peter is working hard to develop his telescope-building business in Australia. He said to me that his aspiration is to leave some fine telescopes in the hands of amateurs in Australia. A lot of vendors are interested in making a buck first, and worry about the cause of astronomy second (or third). Peter clearly has his heart in the right place, with the cause of astronomy coming a clear first. :thumbsup:

As for my scope, all is in readiness, pending receipt of the mirror from OMI Taurus. The mirror is expected in Australia sometime in January. Realistically, probably not in time for Lostock, but now that it is so close, I can wait a few more weeks (so long as someone else will let me use their scope at Lostock!!?? :shrug: ).

Argonavis
01-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Rod - what is 3RF?

ballaratdragons
01-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Hey Rod, it's now January!!!!!!!!

That means it's getting awful close to getting your 20 incher!

gary
02-01-2007, 01:46 PM
The Three Rivers Foundation (3RF) is a Texan-based non-profit organization
whose mission is to promote the arts and sciences. Their 50 acre, dark sky
site named Comanche Springs is close to Cromwell in Texas and already
includes an impressive array of telescopes, including the largest privately
owned collection of Obsession large-aperture Dobsonians in the world,
complete with Argo Navis DTC and ServoCAT GOTO systems.

Best Regards

Gary Kopff
Managing Director
Wildcard Innovations Pty. Ltd.
20 Kilmory Place, Mount Kuring-Gai
NSW. 2080. Australia
Phone +61-2-9457-9049
Fax +61-2-9457-9593
sales@wildcard-innovations.com.au
http://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au

Rodstar
02-01-2007, 01:52 PM
For full information about the Three Rivers Foundation, read their site: www.3rf.org

3RF is a Texas-based philanthropical organisation committed to fostering interest in various sciences, including astronomy. Amongst other things, they organise astronomy outreach, such as to school groups and interested adults in the community.

3RF is expanding its outreach activities into Australia. I am sure those guys on IIS who are involved will reveal all in due course.....;)

gaa_ian
06-01-2007, 08:16 PM
That is very interesting Rod, the world needs more 3RF's !
I am attempting to foster a similar interest here in NE Arnhem Land & have a grant application in for a big Science & Astronomy fair in 2007 for National Science Week.
Hmmm ..... 50 acres of Dark sky land, sounds like a great Idea, I will have to see what i can do up here, you are giving me Ideas ;)