PDA

View Full Version here: : A night with Marana

Oleg
22-10-2014, 10:16 PM
G'day everyone.

A couple of months ago I accompanied Alex Massey (Gondwana Telescopes) to the Queensland Astrofest where I had great opportunity to try the telescopes he makes.

Since then Alex asked me to write a review based on my experience with the Marana telescope. So here are my humble observations.

The scope was a 12" Dobsonian reflector, no Servocat, no any pointing device, pure vanilla push-to Dob.

You can see Marana here (http://gondwanatelescopes.com/ultralight-telescope-marana)

I got my first impression when I saw his 3 telescopes in the boot of his Outlander. The box for Marana is as thin as my box for eyepieces, very compact for a telescope, I recon he could put 7-8 Maranas over there without any problem.
At that time I couldn't figure out how everything is packed inside, all that looked very impressive and quite secure at the same time.

I must say that I'm relatively new to the Amateur Astronomy, I had only 3-4 scopes, and most of the time (about 2 years) spent with my full metal 14" Orion push-to Dobsonian, it could probably be used as a rocket launcher due to it's big weight and stability.

Fast forward to the second day in the camp, Alex had a presentation of it's new scope Marana, where he showed the guts of the box, all bits and pieces, all is neatly located inside, - that's really nice feature, you don't need to have a dedicated box for your scope parts, everything including the telescope is securely packed within the telescope itself.

The assembly took reasonable time, it was not much faster than assembly of my scope for example, but it takes less effort to assemble Marana due to it's small weight.

I was surprised to see the secondary mirror on a magnet and honestly was doubtful of it's ability to hold a collimation properly, but it turned out to be a very solid piece and it hasn't changed it's position once during the night session.

The next comes a small secondary mirror heater powered by a 9v battery, very important piece of equipment. It's painted black, small and completely unnoticeable.
Just remembered my last night at Katoomba when dew was the heaviest I ever saw there, we were constantly using a 12v hair drier. I was using my scope and Alex were drawing a sketch next to his 17.5 so the Marana were standing alone for a while and at one moment I said to Alex "mate why there is no dew on the Marana's secondary, I remember we never used a drier on it?! is it has some kind of special coating? Alex said "... mate, there is a heater on it.. " ..arrgghhh.. I've been laughed at for the rest of the session :-/ so you will forget that you have a heater on your secondary, believe me!

OK, eventually the night at Astrofest began and so my dance under the stars with Marana. She was very light, her movements were graceful, fluid, I felt that connection between other worlds and me was "cleaner", there were less interference, more freedom, we easily glided from one location to another numerous times.

I found the focuser though rather short was positioned wisely so I didn't have any problems with my eyepieces, I used 20 mm Nagler, 13 mm Ethos and 20 mm ES 100°. The counterweight that comes with the telescope helped me to restore balance with the ES bomb, was very happy about it. that combination gave me one of the best views with the telescope - a wide field view that is achievable only with a smaller aperture.

The "tube" upper assembly is light and there is almost no friction, that probably will be a problem on a windy day with a shroud, but that would be a the case with any lightweight scope.

I liked the carbon poles and the wood upper cage, they are not as freezing cold as metal parts, won't steal pleasure from your sky gazing.

In overall the telescope left me with the very positive impression, the performance of the scope is really nice, it's light and sturdy at the same time, each feature is well thought and wisely implemented. The views were not spoiled by clumsiness of the telescope nor by flimsiness nor by inability to focus, nor by due, collimation or anything else, only the size of the mirror limited my experience, but then with the bigger mirror I wouldn't get those wonderful wide-field views.

I believe Alex put his heart and his soul into his work, if you get one of his scopes you will get a piece of his heart too.

I'd like to thank Alex for letting me play with his masterpiece.
And thank you all guys for reading! :)

MortonH
23-10-2014, 07:30 AM
Great review. Thanks for sharing.

mental4astro
24-10-2014, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the review Oleg.

I am pleased you found Marana a joy to use. Yes, a lot of thought, design and redesigning has gone into it.

Oleg mentioned how he could not figure out how I had packed three scopes (two Marana and one 17.5" Karee) into the car AND with all the stuff we took up. EASILY! :D Have a look in the pictures below, :D This was one of the criteria that has to be satisfied when I design all my scopes - design them so they can be packed in safely and comfortably with everything else that you chuck into the car so you don't need to be paranoid about them.

There are two Marana here: 171991

And the 17.5" Karee is here: 171992

I have two 12" Marana scopes on commission that are nearing completion. I am keenly awaiting to be able to put these two creations along side the other two I have for a family photo, ;)

And to remind you of their transformation, a packed Marana goes from a sturdy box to a finely tuned instrument in just minutes,

171993 171994 171995

Alex.

hickny
24-10-2014, 08:22 AM
When Alex told me he was going to build a light weight 12”scope with a view to going into production I was interested to see what he’d produce.
Having already built many custom dob telescopes including his pride and joy, Odessius http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment_browse.php?a=74636 (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment_browse.php?a=74636) he agreed to help me build my pride and joy, Tantalus http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment_browse.php?a=79200 (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment_browse.php?a=79200)
Marana is his latest project. From conception to realisation has taken some time but the product is outstanding.
Alex has based his construction on the book “The Dobsonian Telescope A Practical Manual for Building Large Aperture Telescopes” http://www.willbell.com/tm/dobtel.htm (http://www.willbell.com/tm/dobtel.htm) and knowledge gained over many years of building and using telescopes.
Alex’s work is meticulous. He has sourced light weight components and when unable to locate mass produced components he has designed and manufactured his own.
Oleg is correct when he says that it is perfectly balanced. The altitude and azimuth bearings are Teflon based and as smooth as silk. The helical focuser is a standard design that Alex has had improved by the manufacturer. The carbon fibre poles are interchangeable and the mounting components are all hand made.
The secondary mirror assembly is an innovation that is long overdue, collimation is a breeze. In short my opinion is that Alex has thought of everything yet he tells me he still has ideas up his sleeve.
Alex can also fit Argo Navis to the scope and the mounting hardware is again custom built.
The fact that the components all fit into one neat package which weighs a little more than 20kg is an absolute bonus. It’s an ultralight that can be packaged into a size no larger than a small suitcase, stored under a bed, lifted easily and a joy to use.