PDA

View Full Version here: : PC Control and Guiding

ZeroID
21-10-2014, 07:03 AM
Following on from my earlier postings on Autoguiding I am attempting to put together a fixed system in the Ob just using the normal PC, Guider package and get to some sort of stable accurate setup so I can concentrate on actually doing some pix and finding things.

My preferred configuration is Stellarium as the scope control and probably Metaguide as it works well with the ZWO ASI120 camera.
I have been using GPUSB via ST4 to connect guiding and PC through the handpiece to control. But I assume there may be some conflict using two methods to manage the mount, ST4 and the Handpiece.

If I connect to ST4 via the ZWO ST4 connection can I also control via that from Stellarium ? ( or CdC if that is the better option although I prefer the more natural view of Stellarium).

There just seems to be so many different options, combinations and systems. I still don't get what or how Pulse guiding works or what is needed for that. Is it better ? Guidescope will be the usual 80 f5.

Basically I want a minimal hardware (less dang cables all over the place ) that works 90% of the time so I can get back to astronomy instead of DIY.

Imaging via another ZWO ( to be bought ) will be on another PC. I am contemplating also getting a Canon 1100D or similar with Live View just for dedicated imaging.

glend
21-10-2014, 07:31 AM
Brent, my ZWO ASI130MM guide camera ST4 port is connected directly to the NEQ6 ST4 port via the RJ cable (with the guide camera USB connected to my Netbook running Metaguide). This setup works very well for me and there are no problems. My mount is on its tripod on pavers in my yard so I try to keep the subs to 5 minutes but I am getting good round stars at that duration. Make sure that you keep abit of weight on the RA axis so that there is no slop in it that might oscillate or wobble.

As far as the planetarium app, I use Sky Safari Pro on an android Nexus 7 tablet, connected via a Nexus wifi box to the aux port on the Synscan handset. With that setup you still need to use the handset for alignment, but once aligned the android tablet does it all.

My guidescope is the ZWO 60mm F4.6 sitting on a Skywatcher guidescope mount on a top mounted dovetail rail. The Skywatcher guidescope mount is a great piece of gear, allowing independent control of the guidescope in X and Y axis and much more range than normal rings (and no chance of sliding out of the rings).

I am very happy with my old Canon 450D (un-modded) as the imaging camera - for now.

ZeroID
21-10-2014, 07:53 AM
Thanks Glen, I'm trying to get PC control as well rather than using the handset. I'm using the handpiece except GPUSB and a laptop but if I can get PC control via the same connection and a single USB via the ZWO connection it would so much simpler. Less connections = less problems in my book. I've had it working via a serial to handset connection but it starts to look like spaghetti junction.
My next stage is to get rid of the GPUSB anyway, go via ZWO>ST4 and just use Stellarium or CdC to identify and handset to locate.

ZeroID
22-10-2014, 05:52 AM
Last night I was in the Ob despite the clouds. Reinstalled my repaired PC, updated ZWO camera driver, tested Metaguide connection over longer USB cable. All go.
I'll double screen the PC to better see guiding and Control apps,

Added a 3 meter serial cable extension to the Handpiece. Now it can sit on the desk with me no problem and cable is under carpet. One less to trip over. Why didn't I think of that before ?

Stellarium with it's Open GL requirement is proving to be a major problem so CdC may be the best alternative.

ZeroID
28-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Upgraded the video card in the PC ( can't do THAT in a laptop ) now Stellarium is working albeit a bit slow.
And in breaking news a LVI 'clone' Autoguider, the Orion Starshoot Solitaire has appeared on our local auction site ! Price isn't too bad although I'll wait to see if it gets any interest and maybe negotiate if nothing much happens. I still like the idea of standalone and maybe might take the EQ6 out on the tripod to a dark site one day.
Decisions ! ! < sigh >

pluto
28-10-2014, 01:31 PM
I control my EQ6 in the way you're looking to do it.
I have a shoestring usb cable from the mount to the computer and I'm running EQMOD to control the mount.
You can also connect to the mount through the SynScan controller with the supplied serial cable and a usb adapter, just make sure you choose "PC Direct" mode on the hand controller.

I then run StellariumScope which connects to EQMOD and acts as a telescope in Stellarium. I then control the mount pointing with Stellarium.

As for guiding (I'm not sure about Metaguide) I used to use a QHY5L-II with PHD. PHD guides with pulse guiding through EQMOD by selecting ASCOM mount when you connect.
When I say it guides through EQMOD I mean that EQMOD issues all the commands to the mount for both pointing and guiding and PHD communicates only with EQMOD and not the mount directly.

This setup works really well and you can also use Astrotortilla for plate solving so you never have to star align again ;)

ZeroID
28-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Cheers Hugh,
Yeah, I've had that configuration working before except with CdC. I'm almost at that point again but I was looking for simpler systems to reduce cable load and the difficulties I've had with getting Stellarium to behave with it's OpenGL dependency. Trying to apply the KISS principle. At the price for the unit I've seen I'd be getting a QHY5 camera chip which had other uses at least so not a complete waste of $$ if it is not totally suitable and it could work through Phd and GPUSB anyway.
Still scratching my head over whether this option is worth trying.

ZeroID
30-10-2014, 05:36 AM
Clarification please. Is EQMOD running through the GPUSB to the mount ST4 rather than using the PCDirect mode via the handpiece ?

If so it seems simpler than having 2 possibly conflicting connection points.

Didn't buy the Autoguider after all, at $300 secondhand it did not compare well with the new unit from Aus at $279 even with exchange rate and postage to be added.. And no camera control either so it didn't give all the benefits I was hoping to gain.

pluto
30-10-2014, 08:46 AM
The GPUSB goes from the lappy usb to the serial port on the EQ6, not the st4 port on the mount.
In the setup I described there is nothing plugged into the st4 port on the mount.

From EQMOD's point of view there's no difference between using the GPUSB cable and plugging in via the hand control in PC Direct mode. If you don't want to buy the GPUSB cable and you already have a usb-to-serial cable then you're already good to go.

I should mention that you can still control the mount through EQMOD/Stellarium/Astrotortilla AND guide through the st4 port on the mount.
That's how I do it now with my SBIG, to guide with my AO unit I use CCDSoft and it will only guide through the st4 cable and not through EQMOD.

Merlin66
30-10-2014, 10:33 AM
Hugh,
I'm confused....
The Shoestring GPUSB connects between the PC (and the guide software) to the ST4 port on the mount.
""
The Shoestring Astronomy USB Guide Port Adapter is designed to allow personal computers to control ST-4 compatible autoguider ports as found on many telescope mounts
""
http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/User_Manual_GPUSB.pdf

ZeroID
30-10-2014, 11:13 AM
Hmm, I sort of get it. I'd like to keep the Handpiece in the equation personally. Sometimes for quick and simple I won't bother to turn the PC on, Moon, Solar etc is less critical and I can also run off battery rather than connect mains AC up.
Ok, PC Direct through the handpiece seems the way to go for control. I've already added a serial extension to the Handpiece so it can even sit on the desk.
Guiding can work off GPUSB to ST4 connection. I have this setup before so just need to refine the process.

pluto
30-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Ah yes sorry, I assumed the cable I have is called a GPUSB but now I see that the GPUSB is a different thing.
The cable I have is called "USB2EQ6", the top one on this page:
http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/products_eq.htm

Sorry for the confusion!