PDA

View Full Version here: : 6.3 Focal Reducer

mick pinner
23-08-2006, 08:06 PM
does anyone know if placing a focal reducer in different positions in the imaging train (SCT) effects the actual focal reduction.

asimov
23-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Hi Mick.

Not sure about that one but an F-0.6FR will produce F-0.3 if a 1.4" extension is used to get the FR away from the chip on a toucam.

But when you look at it, it is actually putting the FR closer to the SCT corrector & the chip remains the same distance away IF your seating the webcam into the focuser all the way on both occasions..

http://webcaddy.com.au/astro/adapter.htm

I could be looking at all this in the wrong aspect though..

Gama
23-08-2006, 11:50 PM
The simple aswer is YES.
When i used it with my SCT i used a diagonal then the ccd camera. This lowered the f ratio even more. Try it..

Lester
24-08-2006, 07:54 AM
Hi Mick,

I am led to believe that there are different kinds of Meade f6.3 focal reducers. When I mounted mine at the rear of the SCT and then the flip-mirror, and the camera, I couldn't get focus. I had to get adapters made up by Steve Mogg. Now I have the focal reducer after the flip-mirror and then the camera, and focus is achieved.

When Meade got the focal reducers made in China some of the characteristics changed eg focus point.

Striker
24-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Yes Mick it does.

The further the camera is away from the reducer the lower F ratio...but it does have an optimal distance...something around 100mm from the reducer to the chip is F6.3.....I dont think you would want to push it any further then that.

mick pinner
24-08-2006, 12:43 PM
thanks guys.

rogerg
24-08-2006, 01:50 PM
I find the focal reducers quite sensitive to position in the imaging train. Not only in the focal reduction provided but the quality of image (edge distortion, non-flat field, etc). I find the 3.3 reducer much more fussy than the 6.3 which is really quite tollerant of positioning (and distances).

Roger.