PDA

View Full Version here: : 12" Bintel/ GSO Focuser upgrade Help Please

PeterHA
08-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Hi All,

Has anyone replaced the stock focuser on a Bintel/ GSO 12" dob with a Feathertouch or Moonlite 2" focuser?
I am interested to hear which adaption parts, bases and draw tube length/ options have been used sucessfully.
Have not decided on Feathertouch versus Moonlite yet.
Thanks.

barx1963
08-10-2014, 05:10 PM
Hi Peter.
I changed over mine about 2 years ago. I no longer have the GSO 12" but I loved the Moonlite so much I kept it for my 20" when I moved the GSO on.
I ordered it direct from Moonlite in the US who had excellent customer service. I simply obtained the universal kit http://www.focuser.com/cgi-bin/dman.cgi?page=productdetail&plugin=dstore.cgi&product=UNI-KIT which worked very well. Has a variety of height bases, from memory I used the 1/2" base as well as the curved adaptor.
With the drawtube, I ordered the 2.75" comp ring one but ended up swapping it over to the 1.5" with single screw. The two main reasons for this was the 2.75" projected a long way into the OTA and I simply didn't need that much travel I found. Also with the single screw it sits flush and gives more movement downwards and looks neater.

Cheers

Malcolm

rustigsmed
10-10-2014, 12:14 PM
hi peter,

I also upgraded to a moonlite for my 12" bintel (gso) f4 newt and can highly recommend them. I also purchased the high res stepper motor and v2 controller. I just ordered the stock draw tube and found that I needed an extender to reach focus (which I already had a part for) on my dslr w CC. It is purely an imaging scope so i'm not sure about at the eyepiece and this may not happen if yours is a f5 scope.

highly recommended option.

cheers

rusty

Allan
10-10-2014, 12:51 PM
For visual use with a fast Dob the SIPS is the Rolls Royce of focuser setups. It is a Feathertouch focuser with a built in TeleVue Paracorr. Wayne at Starlight Instruments is very helpful and they have most adaptors to connect the Feathertouch to your existing focuser base, or can machine parts up to suit.

The setup is not cheap, however you can buy the focuser first and add the Paracorr component later. The focuser in the SIPS setup has the 1.5" drawtube length. It's one of the better mods I have done to my Dob as far as improving the performance and enjoyment out of it.