PDA

View Full Version here: : Deleting Apps & Widgets

Ric
26-09-2014, 11:30 AM
Hi all

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 2014 edition which is a great little tablet.

I am wondering though how do you permanently delete all the unwanted garbage that was factory installed? It is easy enough to delete apps that I have downloaded but when it comes to their rubbish it seems almost impossible.:mad2: The user manual curiously make no mention either. :rolleyes:

I really have no interest in things like the New York stock exchange, Flipbook and other such things that are filling up the hard drive and are constantly demanding that I update them everytime I start the tablet up.

All help gratefully received or if someone know of a third party website that I can check out.

Cheers :)

pluto
26-09-2014, 11:39 AM
On a Samsung you'll need to root it to remove all the crapware.
If you Google "root Samsung <insert model here>" you should find a guide.

Alternatively you could just install a faster cleaner ROM like Cyanogenmod or one of the many others, that's what I did with my Galaxy Tab 8.4.

It's a shame they they pile so much crap on their devices, it's why I stopped buying Samsung phones and moved to Nexus. And when I bought my latest Sammy Tablet I knew before I got it that I'd be chucking Cyanogenmod on it asap.

Redshift13
26-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Pleanty of info/instructions on the xda developers forum (http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-10-1), including instructional walkthroughs for rooting, custom ROMs, etc.

Ric
26-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the info.

I was checking out the info, but I might have to wait another eight months until the warranty runs out.

Redshift13
26-09-2014, 08:40 PM
You're right that rooting your device may void warranty, and there's always the risk that you can brick the device totally during the process, but that risk is minimised somewhat given the large number of people who successfully root their devices without issue.

ZeroID
29-09-2014, 05:25 AM
Can you not kill the unwanted apps from the Settings, Installed Programs > All list ?
I have a Samsung and it comes with Accuweather as a header but it is anything BUT Accu(rate) with temp and time.
Flipbook I quite like for it's photo, scence and tech sections. You can always kill any unwanted feeds.