PDA

View Full Version here: : Progress

ZeroID
25-08-2014, 07:03 AM
Solved a few of my 'astro' problems over the weekend. Been plagued by guiding issues, accuracy of my SCP alignment and various computer issues stopping me from getting time to work on them.
But finally the weather and the equipment all decided to forgive me and cooperate.

Metaguide was recommeded as being a better option with the high frame rate ZWO cameras so I built a laptop solely for guiding purposes and got all the hardware talking, Problem 1 solved.

Connected via GPUSB and settings, found a star and calibrated. then watched the graphs, N/S & E/W drift. Slected 'Guide' and watched some more. Drift numbers said my SCP was out marginally in RA and more so in DEC. Half an hour later I was getting less than 1 arc/sec min in both. Problem 2 solved.

Ran some video capture on Saturn but all I did was prove my big scope badly required collimation, coma'd stars and blurred images. Shows what happens when you are not careful when you set things up. Too late and too tired to do then so it's on the next task list.

Conclusions:
Metaguide certainly works well and once you understand it the data it delivers is very useful. I won't compare it with phd as I've only used pdd1 intermittently and never managed to get phd2 with more data working with my setup.
Although I've said my pier is good it needs to be better, more stable. I can see me filling it with concrete or at least rocks one day soon or replacing it altogether.
Electric focussing is also looking as a good move to miniimise vibration and settle time. Not sure if that will be DIY or bought.
I've ordered a 50watt Peltier Module, $11.50 delivered and I'll get the ZWO attached to that. My ambient was 9* last night but the camera was running about 19*.
I'll see if I can get the SPC900 or the NexImage camers to work with Metaguide now as that will free the ZWO for my planned purpose, DSO imaging.
I have seen a Skywatcher 80mm f13.3 for sale I may get. If I mount that up with the Lunt and the 80mm F5 I can run guiding through either 80mm and still view the target. I like to be able to visually check on how it's going and lets me see if clouds get in the way. Metaguide seems quite capable of guiding at higher magnifications.
I'll run up another PC to handling imaging via CCD, the advantage of having an Ob and power handy.
My new roof is working well..

Can you tell it's been a good night ?? :P
Trouble is it's going to cost me more .. :shrug: ... ah well.

rustigsmed
25-08-2014, 09:32 AM
Nice work Brent,

Friday night was clear all night and I too finally managed to take a big forward step. In particular PA and guiding. Still more things to iron out up ahead but feels good to finally make some progress!

alistairsam
25-08-2014, 04:47 PM
hi Brent,

I've heard of guiding with Metaguide providing better results, but then what is the point of the guide camera providing a video stream if mount corrections are sent only once or twice a second? I don't think the EQ6 can practically handle more than 2 corrections a second depending on payload, inertia etc.

Cheers
Alistair

ZeroID
26-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Hi Alistair,

Metaguide will stack multiple images if the star is faint so video is the answer. Read up the User Guide, quite interesting how it works.

I'm just happy to get something that actually works for a change. I've had issues with PHD, PHD2 never even got off the ground. This one just found itself a very coma'd star and locked on and wouldn't let go even when I was adjusting dec and ra refining the SCP. It was neat to watch it 'crank' it's way back to centre the star and then settle down.

Now I can get on with next development.

Amaranthus
26-08-2014, 12:19 PM
The fast video stream is for accurate centroiding (star position characterization) of the guide star. More data = better (YMMV). With an accurate running mean of the centroid, more accurate data can be sent to the mount according to your guide period. The two are quite separate.

I use both Metaguide and PHD2 successfully with the ZWO ASI120MM-S. Overally, I think MG is the superior performer, but PHD2 has a better polar alignment routine (it's fantastic) and talks to Nebulosity for dithering. So I'm using that for now, until I can get SGP and its plate solving working properly (a medium-term project). For PHD2, I use the ZWO in WDM cam mode, taking 100ms exposures and sending a guide pulse to the AZ-EQ6 mount every 1.5 sec. Seems to give the best stability. I use an OAG.