PDA

View Full Version here: : GSO Linear Focuser

codemonkey
18-08-2014, 08:22 PM
I'm looking into buying an RC6 in the near future and I'm wondering what focuser I should put on it. I understand the stock focusers are pretty average, but I read somewhere that the linear GSO focusers are ok and for $100 that sounds like a good deal.

I'll be hanging an Atik 314L, OAG, QHY5L-II and filter wheel off the back of it, so it needs to take some weight.

I've got a Moonlite on my ED80, which I absolutely love, but the wife is starting to put her foot down now so I better not push my luck ;-)

MattT
19-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Hi Lee,
I do visual only but have had a couple of GSO LB focusers. Pretty good for what I need, Never had trouble lifting 2" diagonal 80mm extension tube and 1kg eyepieces. From new both needed to be tightened up a few months after use but that's all. Not in the same class as the Feather Touch I also have. but not far off.
Have you thought about getting an adaptor from Moonlite to take the focuser you have on the ED 80....one focuser two scopes?
Matt

codemonkey
19-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Thanks Matt :-)

Good call about the Moonlite adapter! Unfortunately I tried that avenue already but was advised that there's a bit of difference between the two with both flange and drawtube differing.

I'm now not 100% sure if the focuser I was looking at buying was "the good one" because I've seen people talking about these good GSO focusers but I'm not sure now if they're talking about these small, screw-on linear microfocusers that Andrews are selling, or if they're talking about another linear focuser by GSO.

MattT
19-08-2014, 07:58 PM
From the pic on Andrews site it looks the same as mine...$99 is an amazing price. Having said that I am not into the photo side of AA so have no idea on weight etc. Have seen a few GSO focusers for sale from people wanting to upgrade though.