PDA

View Full Version here: : Tak MEF-3 dual speed add-on opinions

LewisM
18-08-2014, 12:03 PM
Just ordered an MEF-3 dual speed add-on unit for my Tak FC-100 (OLD version, not the new D models). I have heard mixed reports with users, but also many users fail to realise that the dual speed's clutch is adjustable to the users liking. A properly user-adjusted MEF is apparently smoother than the Feather touch replacement unit.

Anyone got opinions on these retrofits? Difficulty in adjustment?

Kunama
18-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Nice little add-on Lewis

PM sent

Larryp
18-08-2014, 12:45 PM
I fitted one to my TSA120, Lewis. Worked perfectly from the start and needed no adjustments.

SkyWatch
18-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Mine (on my TSA 102) needed a bit of tweaking, and does the job nicely now. They are easy to adjust.
However, I sent the first one back because it was a bit "gritty" as you turned it- even with clutch adjustments. Seemed to be a manufacturing fault. Claude was happy to replace.
Don't know how they compare with the Feathertouch. The Feathertouch looks nicer though: the MEF-3 is obviously an "add-on" with that little plate underneath.
In retrospect I would have been tempted to pay the extra for the Feathertouch.

RD400C
20-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Does anyone have any tips on the adjustments needed to prevent the ball race type clutch slipping?

Cheers Garth

LewisM
26-08-2014, 11:43 AM
My MEF-3 unit arrived 15 minutes ago, and I already have it fitted and adjusted.

Sure, just like the Vixen dual speed retrofit, it is a tighter feel after adding it, but it is EXTREMELLY positive and fine - I "adjusted out" the click-stop feeling some complain about to the reduced assembly, and it is now as smooth as silk. Compliments the FC-100 perfectly.

HIGHLY recommended!