PDA

View Full Version here: : 80mm Rings

Octane
14-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Hi team,

I was wondering if anyone is able to recommend good quality 80mm rings to hold my FS-60CB scope on top of my FSQ-106N? If you can provide a link to your recommendation, that would be great, too.

I'm looking at buying narrowband filters and will need to commission a guidescope as I won't be able to self-guide, due to very long guide exposures.

Thanks, in advance!

H

LewisM
14-08-2014, 10:23 AM
Parallax - Joe made me a set for my FS-60, and they are superb.

I will PM you his email address. Cost by memory was $125 US plus $40 post. Expensive, but RIGID and very secure.

Octane
14-08-2014, 10:29 AM
I thought Parallax might be the way to go.

Thanks, Lewis! :)

H

Octane
15-08-2014, 09:18 AM
He got back to me.

$150 for the rings and $32 for postage. Ready in one week. I've said to ahead.

Thanks, Lewis!

H

LewisM
15-08-2014, 11:59 AM
BTW, you can ask Joe to make them white or black - your choice. He will also do custom bolt spacing too.

Best to ask him for some spare 1/4x20 cap bolts too - I assure you, Bunnings DON'T stock them! (though one local hardware store DOES) He included 12 for me, gratis.

Just be careful with the paint for a while - mine were still quite fresh/soft, so let them harden a while before bolting anything strenuously to them :) Not sure if he offers an anodised option, but you could ask.

I have Tak green paint if you want to go that route too - though all your gear is hidden under a metric tonne of cables, so you can't see hem anyways :D

Octane
15-08-2014, 12:18 PM
hahaha. Yes, it's cable city. Although, I've tidied it up a /lot/ since you last saw it! Velcro and black tape. I bought one of those spirally conduits with applicator, but, for the life of me, can't work out how to thread the cables through it, so, just went the Velcro and tape route.

Joe mentioned that the flat part of the rings will be 3" in width. He's asked me where I want the holes drilled. I said I'd get back to him after I check my accumulation of dovetail plates. I will also ask him for the cap bolts, too. I was thinking about that earlier wondering whether any of that stuff I've bought from Bunnings would work or not.

Happy to just go with black rings, as the dovetails are all black, too.

Cheers!

H