PDA

View Full Version here: : SW 10" Go To Dob problem ?

Alderney
08-08-2014, 02:26 PM
Hi Guys.
I am not sure if this is a problem with my scope or not. When moving a long distance, without using the slew buttons on SynScan, the Alt bearing movement is a lot stiffer than a none go to dob but seems ok. The Azimuth bearing is the problem, it is so tight that when pushing to slew the scope the whole dob base slides round on its feet. The only way I can slew it without loosing my tracking is to push down on either side of the Alt bearing with a lot of my weight and then turn to slew. I am sure this isn't how it is meant to be.
Any thoughts from SW go to dob owners.

Allan_L
08-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Hi Dave,
I had the reverse problem.
I found this document on adjusting the slip clutches.
It was in German so the translation may be a little sloppy in places.

Oh, with all the images it is over the file upload limit.

PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.
... and anyone else who wants a copy.

Allan_L
08-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Document sent.
It is in MS Word (.docx) format.

I can also send the original German version in PDF format if wanted.

NOTE: Use with caution. No responsibility taken for the correctness of same.
Be aware that carrying out this procedure may void some warranties.
User discretion recommended.

Alderney
08-08-2014, 03:31 PM
I might give the suppliers a ring before i try anything.
dave

Alderney
08-08-2014, 04:08 PM
I just spoke to a very nice guy at Tasco Sales and explained what was happening with the scope. He advised me that it was not a good idea to use them as a push to but to always use the SynScan slew control. He also said that to get the best tracking even the Alt-Az base needs to be dead level and of course to use the 2 star setup.
So I think I will leave the scope alone.

Dave

NQAstro
08-08-2014, 04:23 PM
Hi Alderney, I'm too considering buying a GOTO dob in the near future, the first thing ill be doing is making a trolly frame for it out of aluminium with in-build spirt level so i can adjust the height of each wheel. Maybe something for you to consider too?

Alderney
08-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Hi Chris.
Movable/adjustable base already in the pipeline.

Dave.

Monstar
08-08-2014, 05:04 PM
I thought you could use them manually so I looked at the SW site:

"With the patented Freedom Find (dual-encoder) technology which allows the telescope to be moved manually or electronically in either axis without losing its alignment or positional information. After moving to a new object the telescope will automatically begin to track the new object accurately. No re-setup is required in one observing session."

http://ca.skywatcher.com/_english/01_products/02_detail.php?sid=352

Allan_L
08-08-2014, 05:30 PM
YES, I use mine in a combination, If I know where I am going I push it to the general area and do a goto slew from there.
It saves battery and its quicker.
It always works fine for me.
(I can't believe the Tasco guy quoted, that's just ridiculous, It is one of its main selling features as far as I am concerned, and as per the above excerpt from the manual, it is designed to be used that way).

And I too have a levelling platform, just to get the best out of the setup.

NQAstro
08-08-2014, 05:40 PM
The base of the dob needs to be accurately level for the GOTO function to work correctly or the scope wont slew to the object properly, that goes for any mount with GOTO functionality, And yes you can move the Dob by hand and it will still know where it is pointed with the encoders.