PDA

View Full Version here: : Kendrick heater controllers

The_bluester
04-08-2014, 03:57 PM
Following on from a nice observing session on the weekend, where heaters were essential. Does anyone know what voltage the Kendrick controllers cut out at?

A friend was at my place for some AP and when we finished visual work for the night, he borrowed one of my straps to help keep his guidescope clear while we went to bed. On getting up later the heaters had cut out but the mount (EQ6) was still tracking away happily.

Does anyone know how voltage sensitive the Kendrick controllers are? I am thinking about getting a regulated 12V supply to run gear off (We are close enough to my shed to run out heavy gauge DC cabling so the PSU can stay in the shed) but if they are a 12V supply and non adjustable then any voltage drop across the cable could pose an issue. A supply set to about 13V would fix that.

killswitch
04-08-2014, 04:05 PM
http://www.kendrickastro.com/lvc.html

The_bluester
05-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Thanks, I had done some googling but did not find that page. given proximity to my shed, a DC power supply for the heaters sounds like a plan, leaving batteries for the rest with resultant lower current draw.

I am thinking of batteries still for the mounts as a short power interruption is not going to bother a heater but could really break a night of imaging when the mount stops tracking long enough to loose the guide star after we have gone to bed for a couple of hours.