PDA

View Full Version here: : Food for thought for IIS

sheeny
14-08-2006, 02:29 PM
I've been thinking for a while about how articles and resources are submitted to IIS and maybe ways to increase the number of contributions to the site and providing more opportunity for members to contribute. The following are just some ideas to kick around... I have no idea how easy or hard to implement and administer some of these ideas would be!

Opportunity for collaboration:
I have thought about writing the odd article to submit to IIS but I know unless I know my subject well, I'm reluctant to stick my neck out and go into print so to speak. I'm sure a lot of others feel the same. At the same time, I know that one of the best ways to learn is to put yourself in the position where you are teaching others, or have to do some research to stretch your own knowledge.

I have a few suggestions for how collaboration could be facilitated on the forum. One might be to allow articles on the site to be peer reviewed and modified by IIS members, with a credit section included in the article. e.g. Original article posted by.... Updates to section xxx by ... etc. I'm not sure if this process would need to be moderated however.

Another method could be via a moderated sticky thread perhaps? For example, a sticky thread on how to use Registax. The first post might be a beginners perspective on how to get started with registax, some one else might add a post discussing wavelets, etc. But ultimately the one thread would contain a lot of useful stuff on how to use Registax...

Of course the other way to do it, might be for someone to write a basic article then start a thread to consult and collaborate with others on the same topic - sharing the work, while ensuring the article is peer reviewed, etc. There's nothing stopping people from doing that now... just whether or not they want to or have thought about it.

Finally another thought about the site to help imagers, but it may be extendable to observers as well - a "recipe" page. It would be almost a database, where members can submit their most successful/best/favourite capture and processing details by say target and scope. Then others can easily find some rough starting points for imaging their desired targets based on the results of similar scopes. Just a thought, it might be an administrative nightmare, I don't know:shrug: .

Just some food for thought.

Al.

ving
14-08-2006, 02:33 PM
hmm... i like the peer review idea. :)

I too wouldnt want to stick my head out too far, it might get chopped off. :confuse3:

ballaratdragons
14-08-2006, 03:06 PM
I fully understand what you are saying Al, and it sounds great.

I would get a lot out of it, especially the Toucam settings, Registax info etc.

It would all be great as Help files, but I don't believe it would work as threads. There would be too much chatter in amongst the teaching.

There is a resources section in here and after peer perusal and editing any Guides could go in there with the other ones.

Blue Fire
14-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Collaborative article writing could indeed spark interest and valuable contributions that otherwise would be spread across and sprinkled here and there in various threads, etc. Don't know how you would implement it specifically, but I would think that someone would have be designated as the "main editor" who reviews and incorporates contributions/ideas into the process of the article ultimately.

sheeny
15-08-2006, 08:32 AM
I'll try a second time to post this... I lost internet service last night and this obviously didn't make it through the mayhem...:rolleyes:

Chatter in the thread is one of my big concerns, that's why I suggested a moderated thread. i.e. entries are submitted to a moderator for inclusion, perhaps. The chatter could be handled in a parallel thread like is done now for the monthly photo challenges.

:shrug:

Al.

sheeny
15-08-2006, 08:35 AM
PS Maybe this mechanism (moderated sticky thread) is just a way for the originator of the thread to collect the contributions of others before writing the collaboartive article???

Perhaps the originator of the thread could be given some sort of moderating privaleges over that thread only???:shrug:

Al.

iceman
21-08-2006, 07:36 AM
I think collaboration could work, it just needs someone to initiate it.

For example, someone could start a thread "writing a review on XXX", or "writing an article on YYY", and could then ask for input (either in the thread, or via PM/email) from people who also own XXX or have done YYY themselves.

The article can then be written collabaritively (is that a word?), with credit where it's due, and it takes the onus off a single person to come up with it all, and it might also help those who are worried that they are not "experienced" enough to write a review.

While it would be nice to have "experienced" people write all the reviews, we could wait for a long time to receive them.. There's nothing at all wrong with people with less experience writing reviews or articles. You simply need to state your background and where you're coming from, and people can take that into account while reading your thoughts on the subject.

Reviews are subjective anyway, so people reading the reviews should always do their own homework, read lots of reviews (to get varying points of view) from both experienced and less-experienced people.

And as suggested above, if you want some collaboration on your review, then put the call out, get some input from others, get some feedback if you like, and then send it in for inclusion on IceInSpace.

As you gain more experience, you might write another review, or submit an update to your initial review after you've discovered/leant more.

Your contributions are most welcome, as it adds content to the site and more information for people to use in their own search for equipment, and ideas about DIY projects they can take on themselves.

sheeny
21-08-2006, 07:54 AM
Thanks Mike. Makes sense - you've thought about this a bit!;)

Al.

jjjnettie
21-08-2006, 09:53 AM
I agree with you as well.
But if there are lets say 4 different points of view on a topic, put it to a Poll. Then you could contribute your opinion anon. without getting tromped on.
Critisism can be a hard pill to swallow.
It must be remembered that there is usually more than just ONE way to do a thing successfully.

Shawn
22-08-2006, 06:18 AM
Its a great idea, It would end up being a sub forum in itself..I certainly like the idea of having simalar info in one place , rather than spread all over the forum, Mike has put some thought into it by the sounds, but what an administrative nightmare.. I think the moderators have got enough on thier plates allready, maybe the PM message for inclusion into the thread is a go, put the ownus on the initiator of the thread.

Great idea though...that, and dark adapted colour schemes, "shameless plug":rofl: