PDA

View Full Version here: : defork or sell celestar deluxe c8

DENMONKEY
28-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Riddle me this,

I have a celestar deluxe C8 as per the pics below (pics not of my actual unit) and with the recent purchase of the EQ6 I'm considering deforking it and throwing a dovetail on it.

As I don't see alot of these around and I often see request for parts from the mount (motors and the like) would I be doing the wrong thing by breaking it down?
Is it a shame to do it, as it might have some value to someone as a complete unit who appreciates such things.

Or am I being stupid, just defork it, sell the mount and be done with it ?

I've got a couple of refractors and a c6 for imaging but would like something in an SCT the same size or larger for visual.

If I was to sell it as a complete package I would be looking to grab a C9.25 OTA.

Roughly how much would I ask for it ?

Based on a recent sale for a C9 that went for around $800 I 'd like to think I could get that or a tad more.

Any advice or EOI are of course welcome.

cheers Brett

http://www.company7.com/celestron/graphics/celest8dlx.gif

http://www.astromart.com/images/classifieds/842000-842999/842119-2.jpg

Dave47tuc
28-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Hi Brett,
I have the same scope,C8 Celestar Deluxe. I tossed this over many many times. I was going to down size actually!
But I really liked the optics in my scope tested against many scopes and the C8 preformed very well. When cooled and collimated the C8 works very nicely.

So I deforked the tube easy done, sold the mount and tripod . I purchased a vixen dovetail plate ADM from the US . Now I'm about to purchase a mount for the OTA.

The 9.25 is a step up but not a real gain in my opinion a C11 would be a better step up. A HD 11 would be a better set up!

I did not go that way to big and heavy. The C8 is plenty for me.

Good luck with what you do. But if you like your C8 as most advised me you may regret selling it. Oh and you won't get as much as you think for it!

See pic for my OTA off the mount.

All the best.

Dave

DENMONKEY
28-07-2014, 10:31 PM
ah, nice to get a reply from someone who has gone through the same process.
I'm very happy with it and thus the consideration of just deforking it.
I guess I'd like to see it go to a new home in one complete piece :(
Would almost feel like I'm modifying a classic car in a way.

The known quantity thing would make it hard to let go. Especially considering getting another could be a lottery draw as far as quality goes.

I'm in no hurry at this point and research says the c11 as per your comment.

I believe you are also correct about its value. I guess they're only worth what someone is willing to pay :)

Thanks for taking the time . your insight is appreciated.

The_bluester
31-07-2014, 09:06 AM
I am looking at the same decision. I have found the mount on my CPC925 becoming more and more of a distraction from observing the way I want but I like the OTA.

I have pretty well come to the conclusion that my best approach will be to defork it, sell the mount complete for whatever I can get and remount it how I want (Probably an AZEQ6) The value I would realize by selling it complete and then buying again just does nto stack up, it would probably cost me about the same either way but I am back in the lucky dip of if I get a good OTA or an average one.

louie_the_fly
02-08-2014, 11:08 AM
I deforked my C8 last year. Swapped the mount & tripod for a 2" diagonal with an IIS member. I was happy with that because I got rid of something I didn't need and got something I did need. I have enough junk as it is. I put my C8 on a HEQ5Pro (as I mentioned in the PM) and although I haven't used it much I really like the change.

We're looking at buying a house at the moment, which then I can install a pier and put the mount & scope on that. Been homeless since mid March. Looking forward to it. :D

DENMONKEY
03-08-2014, 01:56 PM
cheers for the replies fellas.

It would seem my path is set.

Any suggestions on a source for said parts?

from looking around I should get away for sub $100.

Some of the sites I'm looking at have radius blocks then the plate attached to those.
Others appear to be just the plate attached to the OTA.
As I have 2-1 screw set up , is there a preference for either or?

Brett

rogerco
03-08-2014, 04:20 PM
Your idea seems to be to attach something to the tube it self, sorry if I misunderstood the photo.

When I deforked my C8 I had no problems getting the radius blocks and bars from Losmandy to fit the existing screw holes in the front rim and back plate. I just got mine from Bintel but I think there are other brands to do the same.

I would avoid attaching anything to the actual tube as I think you would get flexing problems.

Dave47tuc
03-08-2014, 04:26 PM
Hi Brett,
This will do just fine http://admaccessories.com/V_Series_Dovetails.htm?
This is what is used for my OTA.
Cheers,
David.

DENMONKEY
03-08-2014, 04:47 PM
thanks Dave, I like the ADM stuff, so would check them out.