PDA

View Full Version here: : EQ6 SynTrek mount

Striker
13-08-2006, 06:35 PM
I picked up a EQ6 Syntrek mount on Saturday...the difference between the standard EQ6 and Syntrek is the Syntrek has the Skyscan motors and a different basic hand controller as per link..it does not have the skyscan goto hand paddle in which they want to charge $600 extra for....but it does have the autoguide port...wahoo

Knowone could tell me if this mount can autoguide with out the Skyscan controller not even the Tasco reps so I dedcided to test it myself...THE MOUNT AUTOGUIDES which is awesome...so now you can get this mount with the better Skyscan motors and the autoguide port for just a couple of hundred dollars more then the standard EQ6...this is perfect for my needs for widefield imaging.

The syntrek mount can slew up to 800X and has basic feature's superior to the Standard EQ6.

So if anyone is intersted in this mount I hope I have answered some questions because TASCO dont know their product.
http://www.myastroshop.com.au/products/details.asp?id=MAS-043

Astroman
13-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Great to hear Tony... Can you please let me know how it goes tracking etc.... I was thinking of this setup instead of the GOTO version so I can get something else :) also upgradable to the new Handcontroller when it comes out (v3)

Striker
13-08-2006, 06:57 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing Andrew.

It's been guiding with the toucam for the last hour no problems with guidedog.

I'm guiding with a Meade Schmit-Newt 8" F4

Doug
13-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Luck with it Tony. Did you purchase it with the tripod or the head alone?
If you have the tripod, are the 'stainless steel' legs non magnetic? (I know true stainless is)
Can you tell us about PEC? Looking at the specs I see that the guide rate only goes up to 1x. To my mind that would mean that any PE might not be compensatable. Maybe I'm not reading the specs the way they are meant to be read, but I thought I'd ask the silly, anyway.
cheers,
Doug

Striker
13-08-2006, 07:06 PM
You are reading it correctly Doug.....you want have any PEC control until you get the skyscan controller.

I think PE is over rated....lol....I have yet to do any PEC training when I had my EQ6 skyscan or my G11 with Gemini...This will be my travell setup so imaging at 800MM wont need the precise gearing that I need from my G11 mount imaging at 2500mm.

Regarding the legs....not sure....their just the standard EQ6 tripod and yes I purchased the whole mount including the tripod.

netwolf
13-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Tony perhaps you could answer a question for me that i can not find an answer to on this mount. Is there a port for the Synscan Goto hand controller on this version of the mount? If so I have read you can connect via handheld palm etc to get get Goto on this mount.
See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EQ6/message/11330
Done using this Palm software
http://www.aho.ch/pilotplanets/

Regards

Astroman
13-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Net, the Synscan GOTO controller connects to the same port as the handpad, it actually replaces the handpad as the controller. You need the Synscan GOTO controller to control the mount via a PC or Palm device. The Palm or PC connects to the bottom of the Synscan GOTO controller via its RS-232 port.

Striker
13-08-2006, 07:32 PM
HI Netwolf,

I can not open the link to the Yahoo group without becoming a member....The EQ6 Syntrek mount is identical to the EQ6 Skyscan mount..the only difference is the EQ6 skyscan has the skyscan GOTO controller which has the same connection used for the basic Syntrek controller....I know it's the same connection as I used to have the EQ6 Skyscan.

Small glossary of the mount.

Standard EQ6......standard motors max slew rate 16X NO autoguide port and very very basic hand control.

Syntrek EQ6 .....Skyscan motors max slew rate 800X same face panel as the Skyscan which includes the Autoguide port...updated basic hand controller.

Skyscan EQ6...identical mount and face panels as the EQ6 Syntrek mount but has the Skyscan GOTO controller.

netwolf
13-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Andrew/Tony,

Edit: Sorry did not read the yahoo group correctly.
From what i can gather from the long thread in the group the Palm can be connected via its serial cable to the EQ6 HC serial port mount not directly to the mount.

I thought perhaps it could replace the HC and act as the HC. Not so it seems.
Regards

Astroman
13-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Which group? the EQ6 group?

Striker
13-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Net...there is definelty no connections capable to the basic syntrek handcontroller, it does not have the RS232 port the Skyscan goto hand controller has.

Astroman
13-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Also reading through the EQ6 group messages, I could not find anyone that has successgfully conncted a Palm or PC directly into the mount, it HAS to be done via the Synscan GOTO handcontroller through its serial connector. If it has been done it would be common knowledge and everyone would be doing it, since the current version of the GOTO controller is somewhat limited.

h0ughy
13-08-2006, 08:06 PM
top stuff tony, looking forward to some happy snaps of the mount. Did you get it from Steve? Will you exise the grease and get the worm drives and gears meshed? I have never done PEC in my life with the meade or the two mounts i have. i will need to look well into the autoguiding bit, for my other mount. I just bought the extension tube to mangle together a pier mount from Steve. Progress on that project later...................

Striker
13-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Hi Dave...the mount will be staying as is...yep grease and all.

I purchased the mount of Lex Star Optics.

I did get Lex to do a slight Mod...replace the counter weight bar with a solid stainless steel one whitch is 3" longer then the standard counter weight bar..this will reduce the amount of weight needed on the counter weight bar.

h0ughy
13-08-2006, 09:56 PM
how much was that worth, I will be mounting the 12" on it,the extended bar sounds like a good mod?

Striker
14-08-2006, 07:39 AM
$100 Dave.

h0ughy
16-08-2006, 02:38 PM
can you take a picture of it to show me?

Striker
16-08-2006, 02:51 PM
No problem Dave,

It's actualy about 4" longer...nice and solid....and Lex fitted it for me.

The weight bar is very short on the EQ6..alot shorter then most other mounts...I think I made a wise choice.

Here is some pics.

Dave47tuc
16-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Nice mount.;)

valenliao
19-01-2009, 07:41 AM
Where did you get it? :thumbsup:I would also like to get one, however, HEQ5 Syntrek. I have been after Syntrek for a long time :shrug:.