PDA

View Full Version here: : Filter Wheel Advice

rogerg
25-07-2014, 05:06 PM
Hi all,

I have an SBIG ST8-XME with CFW-8 (5 position).

I want more filter space (7-10 slots).

The CFW-10 is no longer available. You might have noticed I have put a wanted add in IIS Trade http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=1102485, but assuming I can't get hold of one, I wonder what my options are?

I require seamless automation of the filters, so it needs to be motorised, ASCOM compliant, reliable, etc. It needs to be relatively thin to fit in similar thickness as the CFW-8.

FLI and many others have filter wheels, but I really don't know what's easiest to slot in in this scenario.

1.25" filters.

Any ideas?

Roger.

gregbradley
25-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Starlight Express make a 7 position USB powered filter wheel. It gets detected by Windows automatically and you are off to go. I have one 5 position one and its quite well made. They also sell an OAG that is easily used with it so you can get a guiding solution as well. They cost about US$425 from OPT. That's one of the cheapest around. There is one for sale in the classifieds with a full set of Baaders.

Greg.

el_draco
25-07-2014, 07:42 PM
The Starlight Express wheel is very good. You can switch carousels easily. I have one and the OAG. The OAG is also up for grabs in the classifieds. Its thin as well.

My 2c

rogerg
25-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Looks great, thanks guy's .. Will see what others have to say but certainly looks like a good way to go. :thumbsup:

NeilW
27-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Roger, there's a Starlight Xpress 7 position filter wheel and Baader filters in the IIS classifieds.

Cheers,