PDA

View Full Version here: : Telrad question

matt
13-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Sorry guys, but I have to ask a very newb-like question.

I'm looking to replace the 6x30 finderscope which comes with the 9.25 with something a little better.

I'm thinking of a Telrad. I'd like to know where to attach the base plate on the OTA??? Anyone with pics of how they've got their finders set up on their scopes?

Also, do you have any other recommendations other than a 1x like the Telrad?

Thanks in advance of your answers:thumbsup:

astronut
13-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Hi Matt, Firstly why do you want to get rid of your optical finder?
I've used optical finders all my life and recently with the new LB I've used one of these Telrad like finders. Personally I find them a nuisance.
If you're not seeing enough sky, try a 8X50mm finder, I have this on my scope now and it makes life a lot easier:lol: My 2 cents.

matt
13-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the reply John.

You'd need to use the one that comes with the 9.25 to understand. It's not absolutely rubbish, but not far off:lol:

Big thick crosshairs which make it not ideal for lining objects up for imaging. Also a really bad rubber o ring which I'm still confused about. I know it's meant to sit under one of the finder holder rings and provide some resistance for when you're using the nylon set screw adjuster rings, but I can't figure it out for the life of me!:D

It's also not very nice to look through. A ton of coma etc

Just considering options

astronut
13-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Matt, I went for the G.S.O 8X50, you can get them straight through or right angle. Their good quality with thin crosshairs about $90 from Bintel or Andrews.

Lee
13-08-2006, 02:15 PM
I use the telrad and an optical finder.... set up on my Dob like so....

The base plate is 175*55mm in size - quite big. It comes with two full length double-sided-tape pieces to stick on with, although you can use the holes and screws if you are particularly brave and trust yourself with a drill and your OTA! :scared:

I'm going with the tape, seems to hold nicely.

The tape is on angled pieces to match (not so perfectly) the curvature of the OTA - would probably match a 6" perfectly, 8" quite well.

I just stuck it on then use three zeroing knobs to aim it and you are done....

Hope the pics help. :thumbsup:

beren
13-08-2006, 02:39 PM
A telrad is a great tool, I use both my 8x50 finder and the telrad on my scope . The base plate of the telrad has two bolt holes either end , i use one of these to connect up to one of the mounting holes on the back of my LX200.No need to use the mounting tape :) .

GrahamL
13-08-2006, 03:11 PM
I slipped mine on a little closer to the focuser .. wherever your comfortable
with it I guess.. I rarely use the 8x50 these days ,once i find my way round a a bit of sky I can nearlly useing the telrad get close enough to find
What I'm looking for 'mostly' and very quickly to ..... great tool:)

EzyStyles
14-08-2006, 05:50 AM
I completely replaced the finder with the telrad:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15664&d=1155430250

The telrad is great to do your star alignments. i personally find it much easier than a finder. on your c9.25, i'll probably put it right at the back of the scope sitting slightly on an angle so you can also attach guidescope etc ontop.

Tamtarn
14-08-2006, 06:55 AM
Hi Eric

We have our Telrad positioned as shown in Nightstalkers post.
This was recommended position by Roger at Bintel.
But I guess it depends on what is suitable for you.
After using the Telrad for some time, we found it so good, that we removed the finder scope.

Barb & David

Hammerman
14-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Here's where I placed mine on my 8" dob.

http://home.comcast.net/~astrohammer/Telradand9x50RA.jpg (http://home.comcast.net/%7Eastrohammer/Telradand9x50RA.jpg)

rmcpb
14-08-2006, 03:55 PM
I don't use an optical finder, just the Telrad for me. After saying that, if you live in any form of light pollution then don't try that trick as you will not have enough guide stars.