PDA

View Full Version here: : McLennan gear box mod for G11, anyone here done it?

White Rabbit
21-07-2014, 06:53 AM
Well those big motors on the side of this mount lived up to my expectations. "Mmm, one of these days they're gonna take a hit". And so my gear box is stuffed. Now that I've taken it apart I'm not surprised, it's made from plastic.

Had a look and I can get a replacement from Losmandy for $35, but while I'm at it I may as well upgrade them.

I've seen a few tutorials and it looks simple enough, or am I deluding myself? If you done the mode I'd love to hear your thoughts, tips trick...

Cheers
Sandy

multiweb
21-07-2014, 08:01 AM
PMd

Poita
23-07-2014, 10:46 AM
I'd also like some info on gearbox alternatives, pros and cons with the G11.
Locally the gearboxes are available from Radio Spares.
http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/gearboxes/0336444/ for under $50

netwolf
23-07-2014, 11:29 PM
Peter are the ones you linked same as the McLennan ones?
Is thee a guide on how to replace the original gearbox. I recall reading you had to remove the pinion gear from the old one is that right

el_draco
29-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Says so on the page. I'd be interested to know how they perform. Any feedback?

Rom

cfranks
29-09-2014, 09:29 PM
I replaced my Losmandy gear boxes with the McLennan ones 4+ years ago and have never had a problem. The Dec on my G11 is driven by the original motor and the RA by a Maxxon. I had to enlarge the G/B mounting holes as they had metric dimensions and had to make a sleeve to get the output shaft to fit but it was long enough ago that I don't remember much more! I bought the G/B directly from McLennan in the UK, not knowing I could have got them from Radio Spares.
Charles

cfranks
02-10-2014, 09:42 AM
I just remembered, once the McLennan g/b are fitted you have to define your G11 as an MI-250 because the g/b changes the gear ratio or something.

Charles