PDA

View Full Version here: : trimming ebony star?

Astroman
12-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Okay while I have a big square of Ebony Star drying on the bottom of my dob, I thought I would ask some easy questions like.... How do I trim the ES around my base? I have heard of several different ways like trimming with some metal cutters, using a blade, using a jigsaw with a fine tooth saw on it, filing the edge.....

Which ways has everyone else done and how did it go?

xstream
12-08-2006, 06:24 PM
I use a Laminex trimmer, father in law has one probably a bit expensive to purchase for a one off job though. There is a trimmer bit that will fit your router, certainly a much cheaper option.

Astroman
12-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Even more expensive I dont have a router :D Sorry forgot to mention that bit

Wombat_In_Space
12-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Time to buy one Astro they are very handy. :D :thumbsup:

Astroman
12-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Fathers day soon :)

ausastronomer
12-08-2006, 10:02 PM
Andrew,

Don't waste your time with the jigsaw. That will just make a mess and you will end up with a tacky looking job.

As the others have recommended, either use a laminate trimmer or a flush trim bit in a router.

If you can't wait till fathers day, take your dob rocker box to a local kitchen refit company and ask if they can run a laminate trimmer around your base. It will probably cosy you less than $10. I have 5 companies I could go to within a 5km radius of my home. But then I also own a router with several flush trim bits :D

CS-John B

acropolite
13-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Since you don't have what's recommended, you can score then snap the laminate with a sharp object as close as you can to the finished edge then use a file to finish, stroking only in one direction (so as not to lift the laminate). Using that technique will give as good a finish as a router (I have done it on a kitchen bench with perfect results). If you don't feel confident scoring the laminate, you can carefully use a disk grinder to get close, then gently file the last millimetre or so. Use some scrap laminate to practice first.

Astroman
13-08-2006, 01:22 PM
OKay thanks for the input guys, I will give it a go and see what the outcome is.