PDA

View Full Version here: : Narrow beam torches: Which has the longest throw?

Star Hunter
12-07-2014, 01:22 PM
I'm looking for a torch that has the longest, narrow throw beam instead of using a green laser pointer. Anyone got any idea of what brand torch can be used to point out stars, constellations?

astro744
12-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Mag-Lite 4 D cell full metal torch has a focus ability for wide and narrow beam. Batteries dont drain either like they do in a Dolphin torch so the torch is available when you need it. I picked one up at Coles once for under $30 (less than 1/2 price clearance) over 5 years ago and the batteries are still good.

I'm not sure of the model number but it is all metal and holds 4 D size batteries and looks like a police truncheon and probably could be used as one. It is very well built and even at full price I would highly recommended it. The narrow beam can point to the stars quite well.

dannat
12-07-2014, 01:43 PM
LED lenser, you can get one with AA's, the D torches i find too bulky & heavy

geoffw89
12-07-2014, 01:48 PM
I have an led headlamp, single cree focussable led and rechargeable 18650 battery. Tightest beam I've come across yet. There are torches like this as well on ebay.

geoffw89
12-07-2014, 01:49 PM
My brightest is a 12W HID for cycling but it doesn't have the same tight beam.

LewisM
12-07-2014, 02:04 PM
I have 2 LED Lensers - I picked up the "Police" version recently at Cash Converters, NEW, in the box for $49.

Bright? Oh hell yes! Blindingly so. Bright enough to easily make a "light sabre" in the air - you can most definitely point something out in the sky with one (well, the better versions, like the M7 and up).

I tried the M7 the other night on the balcony. I was easily capable of well illuminating a large Norfolk Island pine tree that is over 200 metres away - EASILY. In wide beam, I cn stand on the balcony from the third floor and light a LARGE section of road below, well illuminated. Narrowed down,it is not only literally blinding, but FAR reaching.

Zen Imports also covers warranty one these - replace/repair. They usually simply replace the unit with a new one for you. I have never had to return one yet.

hobbit
12-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Thrunite have extremely bright led torches. They have a good selection from flood to throw and everything in between.