PDA

View Full Version here: : USB Extension for Camera

darrellx
11-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Hi All

I have read where a number of people have used a powered USB hub to attach a number of devices at the Pier, then run a single USB lead back to the laptop.

So I thought I would give it a go, but I cannot get my cameras to work.

I have a QHY5 for my guiding and an Atik 314 for the imaging. I first of all tried a powered USB Hub then tried a 4 Port USB2 Over Gigabit Hub. In both cases the lights on the camera came on, but I get the message:

"This device is behind a USB Hub. This device might not work".

Well, the message is right - I cannot connect.

The USB leads from the device (Camera) to the Hub are standard USB cables 1 metre long. I have tried short and longer leads from the Hubs to the laptop with no success. I would eventually like to have a single lead about 8 metres long.

Both hubs are powered.

I am wondering if it is either the cameras I have, or the particular hubs I have tried to use that is causing the problem.

I would be interested to find out exactly what Hubs others have used, or if anyone has a suggestion. My only other option would be to purchase a USB2 Active Extension Cable.

Thanks
Darrell

Astro_Bot
11-07-2014, 03:21 PM
I bought a 4-port powered USB2 hub from JayCar which worked with my QHY5 and DSLR. (The power input is 5V. There's no power supply provided.)

Before that, I had a hub I bought off eBay that didn't work - that was apparently a chipset compatibility problem.

Here's a link to the JayCar item:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=XC4864

04Stefan07
11-07-2014, 03:42 PM
I too would like to know as well.

Plug the camera and telescope control in a hub then run that back to my laptop over 5 metres or so.

darrellx
11-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Well, I wonder then if it may be the USB cables I am using. The first powered hub I tried was a Belkin "Hi-Speed USB 2.0 4-Port Hub" with a power supply with an output of 5v 2.5A.

This sounds very similar to the one you used, Astro_Bot.

If it is a chipset issue, I don't want to keep buying device til I find one that will work. But maybe the $20 for the Jaycar model is a good bet.

Thanks

coldknights
11-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Hi Darrell,
We got one of these cables a few years back and connected it to our Canon 5D mark 2 from our small notebook and had no problems we even had the small cable that come with the camera attached and worked fine.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-10m-USB-Active-Repeater-Hi-Speed-Extension-Extender-Cable-Lead-USB2-0-480MPB-/120985113968?pt=AU_CablesConnectors&hash=item1c2b465570&_uhb=1

JohnH
12-07-2014, 02:39 PM
This is a dark art I am afraid, I wish it was not.

I have a Canon 20d, SBigST2000xm, QHY5, an Opticstar 616C, a moonlite focuser with serial interface and a G11G with a serial interface, I can get most of these, but not all to work at the same time, via a usb hub. FWIW the issue seems to be in the chipsets, the QHY5 simply will not cohabit with the Opticstar nor is that happy with the Belkin serial/usb I use to drive the G11, under the covers it appears many USB devices are in fact serial - just with onboard convertors.

Plug in/power up order can be important so build up your config one device at a time and then, once you have a working setup, always use the same plugin/power up sequence.

I suggest you use a powered USB hub with a mains suply, many laptops will not provide enough power for multiple devices - the QHY5 is a known power hungry device.

Make sure your laptop is not running agressive power saving schemes (that can shut down usb devices) or unnecessary services (eg internal cameras), keep total cable length to 5m or less (25 m if you have active repeaters). And this last piece of advice you will not like. If you use two cameras like I do you should have them plugged in to two separate USB ports on your laptop (that means two cables sorry)- and make sure those are in turn on different controllers on the pc/laptop (check in the device manager). That is the only way I have reliably been able to prevent conflicts, a possible alternate is to use the same s'ware for guiding and acquisition so that frame downloads cannot conflict and cause issues.

Good luck!

mldee
12-07-2014, 03:40 PM
As I mentioned in an ONAG thread here recently, I am running my backyard pier via an active USB cable, an ATEN model UE 250, 5m long. It is working very reliably over a total 6m distance from a spare Quad-core AMD desktop PC bought from Aldi about four years ago.

There are two 5v powered hubs at the pier, connected in tandem. The first, a generic model I have had for years, feeds the power-hungry DSI II mono guider camera, plus a USB cable to the second powered hub, a small 4port Logitech, also some years old. This hub feeds the azeq6 mount, the FCUSB + focusser motor and a QHY 8 or 9 imaging camera, which also uses a separate 12vdc power connection.

I run 12vdc to the pier and use a couple of car-style 12v to 5v converters there.
As I said, runs like a dream. I do all my work from inside the warm house, using a Dell laptop plus large monitor, connected via WiFi to the PC, using Microsoft Remote Desktop. All the guiding and imaging work is done at the PC.

I'm surprised how reliable it is. (touch wood).

darrellx
12-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Cathy

Yes, I have seen these Active Extension Cables, and I suspect that is what I need to do.

However, here is something that I cannot explain. I have been trying all this on my Dell Precision M6600 with2x USB2 and 2x USB3 ports. I purchased what I thought was a good Belkin Powered USB2 Hub. I tried my other options with the same laptop (Generic Powered Hub and the USB Over Gigabit) and none worked.

I then got an old Panasonic Toughbook with 4x USB2 ports. The Generic Hub worked first go. Then I tried the Belkin Hub and it works.

Back to the Dell laptop - no go. Looks like it is an issue with the Dell. Bugger.

But I intend to get one of the Active cables and give that a run.

Darrell

Amaranthus
12-07-2014, 05:02 PM
It's possible you have allocated all of your COM ports - try clearing some out.

mithrandir
12-07-2014, 05:16 PM
When you open "Device Manager" turn on "View"->"Show hidden devices" otherwise you may not see COM ports allocated to devices not connected.

coldknights
12-07-2014, 05:22 PM
I bought a extension cable and had so many problems with no connections and dropouts, so I got one those cables in the link and all worked great I did a Registry clean of all com ports and all worked great I had a cable to our EQ8 USB prolithic and plugged it into the active 10 m cable and plugged it into the pc and it loaded up 2 drivers at the same time and worked great may be a registry clean may help !as it did the same thing on the netbook as well until I did a registry clean on it as well.

http://www.bisque.com/sc/forums/p/446/430.aspx

g__day
12-07-2014, 07:39 PM
I am pretty happy with this http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/mbeat-7-port-usb-3-0-2-0-powered-hub-awm43hub

For $44 I get 4 USB 3.0 and 3 USB 2.0 powered hubs with individual on off switches. I run a ($16) 4m USB 3.0 cable from it to the PC in my Astro-labs PCI express 2 port USB 3.0 add in cable ($59).

I have mains power going to a 6 port individually powered adapter that is velcro taped to the pier. So I run my imaging cameras power and USB connectors respectively from AC/DC adapters connected to the mains plugs and the USB to the powered hub. The HUb of course is powered by a 3amp mains converter also plugged into the mains switch on the pier. My OTAs focusers power and USB connections also go into the power supply and powered hub.

I haven't put the Guider (Meade DSI II Pro Mono) into the powered hub. This I could probably do without issue.

I also have a TempPerHum connected to the Hub.

The USB 3.0 ports are for if I ever want to run high speed video from the OTAs.