PDA

View Full Version here: : evaluating an old Meade SCT

Blue Skies
08-08-2006, 12:22 PM
(Hope this is the right place for this, as the telescope is not actually be sold, we're just interested in a current value for it.)

I've been asked to look at a very old Meade SCT and try and work out what it might be worth. Going by the shop sticker it was bought around the very early 1980's. I've done a little googling and think it might be a LX6. It has a motor for RA but no other controls or ports. The manual RA knob is missing.

The optics are in good condition, although there is a mysterious piece of tape peeling off the lower baffle that worries me. It is also missing the visual back, diagonal and eyepieces, but the original heavy-duty tripod is with it and ok.

h0ughy
08-08-2006, 12:31 PM
size, any pictures? I had one of these, added an dec motor and digital setting circles, it was a 10". when I got mine I paid $1000 and that was 6 years ago (sold it to mate who sold it on since) the optics were beautiful. there is no coatings on it though at that age. Anything under $1000 I suppose, but an image of its condition would be needed.

Blue Skies
08-08-2006, 12:32 PM
It's an 8". I thought you'd be asking for a pic! :) Hang on a tic....

Merlin66
08-08-2006, 12:39 PM
The LX6 had a larger handpaddle with provision for the DSC display, otherwise identical to the LX5.
Very difficult to upgrade to GOTO etc but nevertheless a good scope. I also had the LX6 10" version for many years. Sold early last year for $1800; with the usual collection of extras.

Never seen any "tape" type issues before on the baffle???!!! Maybe a loose mirror spacer... don't know. Coatings back then were pretty average compared with todays. I assume the HD wedge comes with the tripod?

Blue Skies
08-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Here's some pics:

h0ughy
08-08-2006, 12:54 PM
corrector plate view and down the guts please! (view that is, hehe)

Blue Skies
08-08-2006, 12:55 PM
I have to say I've never seen the tape issue before either, I have no idea how or why it should be there. but the corrector plate does need a good clean, both inside and out, so it could be taken care of then.

GrampianStars
08-08-2006, 12:58 PM
early 80's would be the LX3
take a look here
http://www.telescopebluebook.com/sct/meade.htm

Blue Skies
08-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Ah ha! It's an 2080. As I mentioned, it has no drive controls at all, you plug in the power and it goes. Thanks for that link, Robert.

Here's the guts and the tape.

h0ughy
08-08-2006, 02:19 PM
looks like a bit of teflon tape or bearing tape, well are you hopeing tor sell it? Given the age and the condition, and lack of features I would ditch the mount and stick it on a EQ6 or heq5 mount;) the optics might be alright but your not looking at much unless you manage to find someone who likes old SCTs. A 1990's 8" celestron SCT went for 650 a while back, so you would be below that I would think.

Blue Skies
08-08-2006, 02:39 PM
No, not looking to sell. Someone considers it a waste of space and doesn't care about it but might end up with my club and in that case we would clean it and use it for looking at the moon with, so no special use. Just the RA dirve is all we need, but having the RA fine adjustment knob would be nice.

I had a look at the Telescope Blue book site and the last price mentioned there for 2001 was US$647, which is about AUS$860. With the missing accessories and the need for a clean it will certainly be lower than that. I'm just thankful that the primary mirror is in good nik.