PDA

View Full Version here: : Vixen SXP mount

LewisM
18-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Anyone used an SXP here? Current owners?

Considering to sell a lot (what a surprise!) and get an SXP, which is supposedly Vixen's best AP mount apart from the AXD.

I have loved every Vixen mount I have owned or used (yes, even the Sphinx SXW - once you upgrade the Starbook to the firmware released a MONTH ago, it eliminates all the tracking in Dec issues, which negates needing to get the Nex board etc). I regret having sold them all (one GPD2 and 2 Sphinx's).

Appreciate any insights. The SXP is NOT a cheap mount - close on $4000. I don't need high load capacity, just precision.

Badger
20-06-2014, 05:55 PM
I try again. Can't handle this site, and lost the last message after asking for a preview. I have an SXP loaded with 13kg of an RH200 with a Sbig 11000M. I upgraded from an SXD. The SXP is a big step upwards. Smoother quieter drive, it just hums. Tracking can be down to less than a pixel on the tracking graph in good seeing without any adjustments or setup. At worst to 2 pixels, which is over twice as precise as the SXD. PEC has not been set , it goes up and down about 1 pixel. The controller is intuitive, and I went straight on to it without mucking around. Crossing the meridian is a problem which I haven't solved yet. It's not automatic, and I can't find how to flip it until it is past. Unlocked and balanced it spins with a feather touch. It is a light weight portable mount which does the job of much larger ones. Don't know what else to say except I am delighted with it.

Submit this time, and hope it doesn't lose my log in.

LewisM
20-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Many thanks - I have begun the savings effort :) It is NOT a cheap mount, that's for sure!