PDA

View Full Version here: : Titan 50

Jeffkop
17-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Is there anyone out there willing to talk to me about this mount.
Messages are OK but if I could talk to somebody that would be better.
I am located near Lismore in NSW if there is anybody close I could meet up with as well.
If any of these options sound feasible then please respond here and I will call or meet you.
Thank you

DaveNZ
20-06-2014, 06:59 PM
I see you've had no local takers.

I'm based in Dunedin NZ and have had a Titan 50 for about 16months. I was running a Meade 12" Lx200 on top and recently have been imaging with a GSO 10" f4.

I'm happy with the mount. Seems to work as per spec. I bought it through optcorp in the US.

If you have any questions yell out I might be able to help.

Dave

Star Hunter
20-06-2014, 08:34 PM
Geoff,

I have a Titan 50 and bought it from Bintel 18 months ago. I do research astronomy and astrophotography. The mount swings a C14 fitted with a Canon 40D fitted with a Full Spectrum sensor. I use this mount with either AstroArt5/ObsMng (for automated work) or The Sky X Pro for happy snaps and other stuff.

While all mounts have their good and bad sides, the Titan 50 pros outweigh the cons. AFAIK, this is the only Titan 50 in Qld.

I live near Kingaroy in SE Qld - just a cool 3 hour drive NW of Brisbane, so Lismore is not that far really if you fancy a drive!!

We have heaps of accom. here for visiting astronomer. My skies reach Mv6.5.

Why not PM me and we go from there??.

cheers,

Jim

h0ughy
20-06-2014, 09:57 PM
Jeff, what are you wanting to know? weight, size, use, serioously need to compare to other mounts in category. Bang for bucks that produces results look at an eq8. at almost double the price look at the titan, the software is getting better as too the computer links for it. Just what are you trying to achieve or do. I have both mounts

Star Hunter
21-06-2014, 01:46 AM
So do I...!! :) Also, FYI, the Titan was built with quality, not in quantity. Big difference, mate.

Star Hunter
21-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Jeff,

If you are on a budget then the EQ8 is the way to go. But if you want quality and a mount that will serve its time over and over again , the Titan 50 is the best choice.

I have both mounts and each are used for automated astronomy.

While the EQ8 has some faults (what mount doesn't these days) it is nonetheless a superb mount. The Losmandy Titan 50 however comes with the Gemini II software which is great if you have no other program to control the mount. But if the mount is going to be a permanent fixture, then one can use EQMOD with numerous 3rd party programs or connect it to The Sky X Pro.

You have to decide what is best for your intentions. If you want portability, then neither the EQ8 nor the Titan are really designed for casual setups. Some will disagree on this, but seriously, the weight and time to set up these mounts for some casual love-ins with the stars then pull it down and go home, is IMHO, a waste of time.

You didn't say what you want a mount for and what gear you want to load up. Both mounts will take a C14 OTA + g/scope, finder and camera.

When properly setup, the EQ8 will track unguided for 5 - 8 minutes (at 1000mm f/length) and the Titan 50 for 10 -12 mins. (at 1200mm f/L) That is what I get on mine.

So while David and I are here to help you Jeff, it's now up to you what you want to do. Your call.

Jim

Jeffkop
23-06-2014, 06:08 PM
Thanks Dave, I have sent Jim a PM with description of the problem.
Basically the mount has very poor operation at guide speeds only.
Ive been trying to find a cure for over a year now.

Regards

Jeff

Jeffkop
24-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Have sent a PM Jim