PDA

View Full Version here: : Collimating a GSO laser

MattT
12-06-2014, 06:12 PM
There have been a few threads on this subject.
Instead of building a cradle for the laser and doing the spot on the distant wall I have been wondering about another method.
I have a few refractors at f8 f9 f11 and f12 all of which are in collimation with a Cheshire eyepiece. On all these refractors the GSO laser is 10mm off centre so if I adjust the lasers dot, using a refractor and moving it to the centre does that mean it is now collimated for use in a Newtonian?
Seems easier than the cradle and wall thing, or am I missing something?
Matt

glend
12-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Matt when using the laser in a cradle technique aiming at a distant target the idea is to mark the spot and then rotate the laser 90 degrees and mark again. You want the spot marks grouped as close as possible. The problem with your refractor test is that the result is the same in each scope, regardless of focal length - which just seems wrong as it should be further out on a long scope if its the laser alignment. Stick to the spot grouping against a target. I tuned mine to a tight group of spots , with 1/2" circle at a distance of five metres - good enough for any reflector or refractor. I also used it to collimate my iStar build refractor focuser and it was perfect. You should only use the laser to align the focuser to a centre spot on the obective (or a target taped over it) and then use the Chesire from there to merge the reflective spots on the objective using the push/pull cell screws - stuff I am sure you know.

Of course Lasers are known for tube slop, the tube of the laser maybe too narrow to allow a close fit in your focuser and is sagging slightly in the focuser and that causes the spot to appear off centre. I have a very thin shim of plastic that I use to create a good close fit for the laser in the focuser tube. If you rotate the laser in the refractor focuser does the spot stay in about the same place - a good indication that the laser is sagging in the focuser tube. If you lift up on the laser does it move the spot?