PDA

View Full Version here: : My PST is back !!!

seeker372011
05-08-2006, 04:32 PM
I wasnt sure where to post this but on balance thought it belongs in this forum rather than general chat..

My PST is back-no doubt you have noticed the clouds around Sydney-after being sent to the US for repair

all in in took about four weeks which I think is pretty good seeing I shipped it to Adelaide, from there it was sent to the US for repair, then back to Adelaide and from there to me in Sydney

HUGE difference!!!

didnt try to image or anything just took it out now as the sun broke through the clouds and the visual difference is startling

earlier-with a deteriorating objective lens i could see prominances and no surface detail at all..now plenty of surface detail is visible..can see filaments and the sun's surface quite clearly, as well as prominances and some fine detail

the sweet spot effect is now noticeable-there is a well defined area in the eyepiece where the image snaps into focus..earlier i suppose there was no sweet spot at all, the whole image was so degraded

and its no wonder I struggled to image before

so its something for all PST owners to watch out for-the dreaded bloom ..and the attached picture shows what to look out for if you havent seen it elsewhere

matt
05-08-2006, 05:08 PM
Good stuff. Glad you got it sorted and have ended up happy.

What exactly am I looking for in the pic, by the way?

sheeny
05-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Yes, that's good news to have it back and that you're happy with it!:thumbsup:

Please, tell us more about what to look for. I'm not sure what I should be looking at in the photo.:shrug:

Hmmm you ention the sweet spot and focus just snapping in... I don't think mine is like that, focus is not what I would call definite, and at times I do struggle to get surface detail, especially, say, orange peel. I hope mine doesn't have a problem as well...

I'm keen to understand what problem your scope had, so I can be sure if mine's OK or not!

Thanks,

Al.

seeker372011
05-08-2006, 06:54 PM
Look at the picture I posted---do you see the orangy-red stuff on the top right hand of the objective? thats the stuff

It can only be seen in direct sun light BTW..when it got really bad I started seeing actual spots on images

for examples from other people's scopes look at

http://www.coronadofilters.com/board/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=11;t=1019;s t=0

and

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/616824/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/7/o/all/fpart/1

matt
05-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Interesting the manufacturuer described the problem as very...very rare..

and then there's a whole batch of 'em which are faulty:shrug:

Might want to rethink how "rare" the problem is.

sheeny
05-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the info!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'll have a look tomorrow and keep an eye on my objective lens!

Al.

jjjnettie
05-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Is it sort of like a cataract growing on the lens?