PDA

View Full Version here: : Occultation of 10199 Chariklo - this evening at 10:16pm

tonybarry
02-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Greetings All,

Felipe Bragas-Ribas has posted an update for his predictions of occultations of TNOs and Centaurs.

One prediction, for tonight, can be seen here:-

http://devel2.linea.gov.br/~braga.ribas/campaigns/2014-06-02-12.271_NIMA_Chariklo.jpg

The star is mag. 15.2, the central time is 10:16pm AEST and the body is in Scorpio, high in the sky.

The prediction central line is Victoria and the error bars appear quite tight, unusally so for such objects.

For those with an inclination to chase shadows (and the requisite gear), here's hoping you can make it.

Regards,
Tony Barry
WSAAG

Blue Skies
02-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Ohhh, bummer, a bit late notice for me...but I don't think I could do the mag 15 (although I have just bought a 10" scope, but haven't had time to try it out yet.)

tonybarry
03-06-2014, 12:27 AM
Hi Jacqui,

The 10" would certainly have made a good showing with Chariklo tonight, weather permitting. A good size for the higher magnitude targets.

There are a few more on Felipe's page, but they are all really low on the horizon, along with high magnitude stars.

WSAAG TNO team observed from Linden, Blue Mountains, for the Chariklo prediction tonight, but no occultation was seen.

Regards,
Tony Barry