PDA

View Full Version here: : Gemini-1 not talking to GPS and a couple of other oddities

mithrandir
15-05-2014, 06:43 PM
I've sent off a query to the StarGPS people but this might be a Gemini fault. My scope, G11 and Gemini have been outside under a Telegizmos cover for a few months. The last time I used it - about a month ago - it was working OK and the GPS was setting the time and location.

Last night the GPS set the time but not the location, which the Gemini reported as W000:00 N00:00. I was in a hurry so I just set the location.
Today I've replaced the Gemini battery (it did need replacing but hadn't dropped far enough to lose the CMOS), left it out long enough for a CMOS reset, powered up the GPS, waited for it to lock, powered up the Gemini and it did the same thing - set the time but not the location.

The only other clue I have it that the GPS stops flashing after the 5 seconds which tells you it has a lock and is checking for a mount.

The other thing I noticed was that sometimes the buttons on the hand control don't seem to be responding and it just cycles through the list of options that include Park. Power off is the only way out if it does that.

mithrandir
15-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Would you believe after being left running another two hours the GPS has finally decided to work.

That doesn't explain the buttons on the handpiece misbehaving.