PDA

View Full Version here: : Different methods of collimating a RC

pmrid
10-05-2014, 04:53 PM
I have a new (used) GSO RC8 that I'm trying to get right and have been approaching it with 3 different tools. I thought I might make a few notes here in the hope others may find them useful.

The 3 methods I'm using are:

1. A plain Cheshire;

2. A Takahashi Collimating scope;

3. A Howie Glatter laser with circular hologram attachment.

I'd like to be able to say one of these methods has produced the required fine collimation. But that isn't the case. I rapidly concede the problem could be operator-error. Like computer trouble, 99% of the problem lies between the seat and the keyboard. The same (suitably modified) is true of telescopes.

The Cheshire is a non-optical device so what you see is what you get. It presents a non-magnified view so its usefulness depends as much on good eyesight as anything else and since my eyes are not good, I felt I needed a bit more help. I think that once I get the scope collimated, a quick check with a Cheshire will be all I need. But getting it there seemed to require something more for me.

So I bought a Tak collimating scope. And I watched a few YouTubes and read the guide on http://www.dosborne-astroimages.co.uk/equip_image/collimation_article.htm which was clear and helpful. Starting with the secondary and finishing with the primary, the result seemed to be bang-on. But my images still showed distinct elongation NE-SW. I began to suspect tilt in the focuser/filterwheel/CCD and therefore ordered a collimating tilt-plate from Bintel. Getting the focuser pointing directly at the centre-spot on the secondary made sense and here was a way to do that.

At the same time as waiting for the tilt-plate to arrive, I happened on the blog on collimating an RC8 at http://steveastro.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/collimating-my-gs0-rc8-telescope.html and that led me directly to the third method. Steve referred to the Cheshire EP method as well but my main interest was in the use of the Howie Glatter laser. That method is a 3-step process:

1. Use your tilt-plate to centre the focuser on the secondary. To do this you have to stand on your head and peer around corners almost in order to see down the throat of the scope to the reflection of the secondary centre-spot. You can do it but it's a real contortionists delight. Using the adjustments on the tilt-plate you use the small single spot from the Glatter and get it in the middle of that refleced spot. OK. Not easy but do-able.

2. This one is difficult. You put the circular hologram adapter on the Glatter and fir it up. It throws out a series of concentric rings which hit the secondary, are reflected back onto the primary and finally out towards you standing at the front. The trick with this step is to be able to block out the bright centre-spot on the Glatter and concentrate JUST on the reflected circles on the surface of the primary. It helps if your mirror is dusty so there is something thjat will show up where the rings are. The object of the exercise is to get those concentric circles centric with the primary by using the adjustments on the secondary. I found it very difficult to complete this step with any confidence. The maze of reflections coming out towards me was a jumble and it took quite a lot of effort to position yourself well enough to get it done.

Step 3 was to then project the same holgram onto a plat wall or similar a few feet away. Keep the scope level and at right angles to that surface so there are no distortions. The concentric circles a clear enough but it's not clear to me what I ought to trying to achieve. The innermost ring (others of smaller diameter are blocked by the secondary shroud) was incomplete as was the outermost ring. No amount of adjusting the primary was able to expose both rings fully so I contented myself with getting the rings seemingly of good shape and properly centered. I measured them to see that they were the same on all sides. Not sure what else to do.

NOW the result of all that was that the clouds rolled in and have stayed for the past few days and promise to stay for longer. As usual. So I don't know if I have succeeded or not.

However, I suspect I have not because I put the Cheshire and the Tak both back in the scope to see whether they all agreed. They didn't. The result of the Glatter method was that the primary was well out of whack.

I'm sure others have tried these and other methods and my guess is there are quite a few who would like to get this right. So feel free to tell me what I'm doing wrong and lets see if we can find a workable answer.

EDIT: I've solved the problem of Step 2. Use a compass and felt pen (or similar) and scribe a circle equal to the diameter of the primary - in my case 204mm. Also scribe circles at about 20mm intervals inwards. Then, using a pair of calipers carefully measure the diameter of the baffle tube that comes out of the primary and scribe a circle about 1 mm larger in diameter on the same sheet of paper. The tube is wider at the base than the opening end. I made the diameter 67 mm and that seems about right. Cut out the centre hole and also cut out the outer line so you end up with a fat donut the same size as your primary with a hole in the middle the same size as the baffle tube. Use paper that is a little stiff so it will slip down over the baffle tube and sit on the primary lightly. That becomes a screen onto which the hologram can be projected from the secondary and without the distraction of the reflections off the primary and also giving you a clear guide for the orientation of the secondary mirror using the secondary collimation grub screws. When you're done, remove the paper and proceed to step 3. A HINT, attach a bit of sticky take firmly to the paper with some cotton thread or similar into it so it is not too hard to pull the paper ring back out when this step is finished.

I've now gone through the process again using the īmproved" Step 2 method above. As long as the centre circle for the baffle tube is cut right and the paper ring does not slump, it is fine. The rings project back clearly and it isn't at all hard to get them concentric with the baffle tube.

The third step remains a bit unclear. I projected onto a white board 3 feet away and the rings were clear, complete and of equal width - my best assumption was that the scope was now collimated. The problem is thjat the actual shadow of the secondary assembly does not show up distinctly and you have to intuit it somewhat.

BUT, the problem was that the Tak scope did not agree with the Glatter. It still placed the primary as being a half-turn off in 2 points. So we have quite a disconnect between these 2 methods.

Until I get some sky I won't be able to tell you which one is best.

peter

pmrid
11-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Some edits added.
Peter

torana68
11-05-2014, 01:45 PM
can be frustrating cant it, Im looking at one of these (anyone have a second hand one?)

http://www.hotechusa.com/category-s/23.htm

pmrid
11-05-2014, 06:24 PM
I thought these were only for SCTs. Am I wrong?
Peter

Hans Tucker
11-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Says in the narrative:

Works on CT, SCT, SN Mak, & RC

Star Catcher
11-05-2014, 08:22 PM
Hi Peter

Yep, these things can give you a headache when collimating. I could never get the Howie glatter concentric circles to agree with the tak scope. I believe part of the problem is the inconsistent way the laser or indeed the tak scope is held parallel in the 2 inch compression band type focuser.

You can test this by using the glatter spot laser getting it centered on the secondary spot and then removing and putting it back, tighten up three screws in the focuser and the spot has shifted. Similarly if you use the concentric adapter, you'll find it has likely changed its concentricity pattern thrown on a wall.

Off course another problem could be that the centre spot is not truly centered on the secondary!

I also have a hotech advanced laser collimator and it generally agrees with the Tak scope. However once again you might be chasing shadows with the tolerances in the focuser screw pressures. The Hotech is very dependent on proper set up and has more variables to go wrong as compared to the tak scope.

What ever the limitations of the fit and flex in the focuser, the Tak is your simplest and best bet, especially to see any primary misalignment. The tip tilt ring is also likely to be needed to sort out focuser or other axial tilt.

I have also found the slop in the Tak scope needs to be addressed to reduce another source of error. The closeness of fit between the two telescoping tubes is large and this space is filled with a thick grease to slide the focus point. These two sections tend to sag (worse in summer) and this can be addressed with a split collar made from PVC pipe that bridges the two sections and aligns both segments.

I would recommend sticking with the tak scope and many others with RC scopes in the forums would probably echo this sentiment.

One more thing to remember is that further inconsistency may arise from how the CCD camera fits into the focuser. Some in these forums have had made up a direct fitted (screw) adapter rather than using a push fit held by a compression band and three screws.

My 2 cents worth :)

Ted

Asterix2020
11-05-2014, 08:27 PM
Hi Peter,
You know I share your pain in this :)

DJT
11-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Hi Peter

Firstly, thanks very much for this post. I clicked the link on " how to collimate using a Takahashi etc" and had a lightbulb, or rather a "duh" moment.

I have the RC8 with a moonlight focusser and a tak scope as well as the threaded adapters. As I am very averse to dropping Allen keys on mirrors, I also invested in Bobs Knobs for the secondary.

I also recently picked up. 2.5" flattener plus threaded adapters although natively the field is actually pretty flat but I have a reasonablyv large chip so if I can improve on native that's all good.

My initial issue though was not understanding what I was seeing when collimating however after your post, angels where a-singing and I spent a happy 10 minutes nailing the sucker with the Tak thing.

Waiting for clouds to clear for a star test.

I have made sure that all components in the imaging train are threaded which Paul H highlighted recently.

I have seen some good images (David Naskies for one) from this scope and with upgrades I reckon you are still going to get bang for your buck.

Just wary of spending more on collimation tools than the scope itself is actually worth.

Keen to see how you get on though so keep this thread going please.

Cheers

DavidTrap
11-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Hi Peter,

I've emailed you a couple of documents - just to confuse the issue further!

DT

Paul Haese
12-05-2014, 08:31 AM
I have a Glatter and a Tak scope and have seen results that differ with each piece of equipment.

The Glatter collimator is less accurate than the Tak scope in my opinion.

With the Tak scope you have to be very particular and then need to do a star test to do final collimation on the secondary.

Collimation of RC's is very finicky and can be very frustrating. I am still not 100% satisfied that I have collimation correct on my scope but it is very close from what I can see. Persistence with the Tak scope is my recommendation. Watch Ken Crawfords video too. Perhaps check that the secondary is centre spotted correctly too.

BTW, threaded junctions are the way to go with getting collimation totally correct.

casstony
12-05-2014, 09:14 AM
I assume you guys are familiar with the hall of mirrors technique, but here's a link in case you're not: http://www.davidcortner.com/slowblog/20110815c.php

allan gould
12-05-2014, 11:14 PM
I seem to have been lucky with collimating my scopes previously an SCT, a Vixen VC200L and finally a 10" GSO RC.
I had tried laser collimation previously but realized very early on that if it's not perfectly centered in the focuser you can forget any adjustments as they are off line. I learnt early with the VC200L that Vixen had its collimation well thought out and that it's all done by eye. And guess what, it works if each step is done carefully and precisely. Until I followed the vixen method I had the classic triangular stars but then collimationg as a final step on a real star and using Al's collimation aid I had it spot on and it stayed there. The next scope was the 10" GSO RC and I used David Cortners procedure (hall of mirrors), then a real star and finally Al's collimation aid. No problems at all and the scope has survived travel and remounting many times in the last year.
I have the tilt plate but never attached it to the RC as I havnt needed it.
Allan

pmrid
13-05-2014, 09:34 AM
Good morning everyone,
this has become an interesting discussion and I am very grateful to you all for your suggestions, offers of equipment and provision of links and files. I now have, courtesy of a very generous offer, the use of a Hotech Advanced Laser collimator. Also, thanks to DavidT and Allan Gould, the Vixen collimating methodology.

I got he scope close last night using the Tak scope but having read the Vixen procedure, can see that another night of testing is in order. I pick up the Hotech tomorrow so it'll be extremely interesting to compare it's assessment with the best I can manage with the Tak scope.

I'll keep this thread updated with those outcomes.

Peter

allan gould
13-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Peter
This is the PDF that I followed to visually correct the VC200L (http://www.skybadger.net/equipment/telescopes/vc200l/VixenNorthAmerica_VC200L_Collimate. pdf). It should be the same for the GSO RC's but do a final touch up with Al's collimation aid is my recommendation.
Allan

torana68
13-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Peter,
Waiting with interest as I mentioned Im looking at one of these myself
Roger

pmrid
19-05-2014, 01:38 PM
I've now had an opportunity to use a Howie Glatter 2" laser with circle hologram, a Takahashi Collimating scope and, thanks to a very generous Brisbane member, a Hotech Advanced Laser Collimator.

Before starting I had installed a focuser tilt plate and taken quite a while to get the Feathertouch pointing precisely at the secondary centre-spot (on the assumption that GSO placed the spot properly).

I then used the Tak scope to get the secondary lined up with the focuser. I didn't do the primary at that stage.

I then put the Howie Glatter laser in the focuser and projected the hologram onto the Hotech screen. As you'll see from the photo, it was bang on. On that basis, I made only minor adjustments to the primary.

Then, with the Hotech screen in the same position (since I had already spent an hour or so getting it into the right spot), I urned the Hotech on - with the centering cross-hairs and the 3 lasers. As you'll see from the image attached, the thing seemed pretty darned close to being centered but the 3 dots were far from in agreement either with each other or the Tak or the Hotech.

There seems to be gebneral agreement between Tak and Glatter and appreciable difference between them and the Hotech.

If the weather breaks, I'll do some star testing to see whether they agree with the Tak/Glatter camp or the Hotech, or none of the above.

Peter

allan gould
19-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Im finding this a very interesting post and await you conclusions Peter.

graham.hobart
19-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Me too !:thumbsup:

pmrid
22-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Well, the startest was a disaster. Way off. So It was back to basic. And my friend Mike (owner of the Hotech) offered to see if two heads could be better. I jumped at the offer so today we went step by step.
Step 1. Get the focuser pointing to the donut on the secondary. Used the Glatter with the narrow beam for that. OK.
2. To get the secondary in the same axis, I inserted the paper mask down over the baffle tube and got the return reflections from the Glatter circular hologram back to it and got it all concentric. So far so good.
3. The next trick was to get the Hotech hologram lined up properly with the Hotech screen. We did this by just projecting the circles onto the Hotech screen and centering everything.
4. Here's a new trick. And why 2 sets of hands work. By withdrawing the Hotech from the focuser tube and moving it around, it became easy to see the shadow of the secondary on the screen. So I got Mike to use a pencil to quickly mark the circumference of the shadow. That is what should be the centre of everything. So it was then easy to adjust the primary while centering up on that. I found that focusing way out helped too.
5. Having done that it was easy to go back to adjusting the secondary again an then using the Hotech to finish. The 3 dots were so close that it took some light tweaking on the primary to finish.

I reckon it's nailed.

Sky time required now.

Peter

graham.hobart
23-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Peter, which hotech collimation thing are you using? is it the 2" tublug thingy with the laser and screen?

pmrid
23-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Graham, this is the Hotech gear:
http://www.hotechusa.com/category-s/23.htm

The Glatter gear is the standard Glatter 2"laser with the narrow beam and the circular hologram. No TBlug.

Peter