PDA

View Full Version here: : Microscope binoviewer converted to telescope

cometcatcher
10-05-2014, 03:42 PM
I couldn't help myself, I had to try it! I've been reading threads on binoviewers and the in focus problems they sometimes have, but really wanted to try something to see what two eyes through a telescope is really like. I know that two eyes with the microscope is like night and day compared to only one eye. So, I MacGyvered up an adapter to fit my microscope binoviewer to my ED100. In case something went horribly wrong in the vice, I used another old Skywatcher focus adapter instead of the new one. All I needed to do was drill a third hole and use longer screws to hold the microscope viewer in place. It worked out well. I am left with 35mm of in focus left!

I use the microscope eyepieces that came with it. Their quality isn't too bad, they have a wide field of view with the wide angle set being equal to about 20mm I would guess, the higher power ones about 10mm.

There is probably some light loss in the system as the hole in the microscope binoviewer isn't that big, but it's plenty to get a taste for the Moon and Sun at least.

Using an Orion full aperture solar filter and my newly converted binoviewer, the Sun looks amazing. I have not seen it in such detail. Two eyes walk all over one. What have I been missing out on all these years with a single eyepiece? Can't wait to see the Moon and planets!

brian nordstrom
10-05-2014, 03:46 PM
:thumbsup: Well done Kevin ! .
Brian.

cometcatcher
10-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Thanks Brian. To now I've been mostly into astro photography with less visual, but this may change everything. I feel like I've rediscovered the visual aspect of the hobby. It's like I'm starting all over again.

raymo
10-05-2014, 05:54 PM
I've wanted to go bino for years, but the cost of the viewer and pairs of EPs was more than wallet could handle. I hope the moon blows you away;
raymo

brian nordstrom
10-05-2014, 05:57 PM
:thumbsup: I feel the same , ever since I got my WO bino viewers I cant wait to use them , wait till you see the moon , beautiful .

Brian.

cometcatcher
10-05-2014, 10:50 PM
There's definitely light lost in these microscope ones, but I did get a taste for what is possible. Took a look at Jupiter and Saturn with the 10mm eyepiece set. Wonderful view. At higher power with both eyes, floaters and noise from the unused eye in a conventional system are no longer a problem, making the planets clearer to view. Unfortunately I didn't get a good view at the moon due to cloud.

Binoviewers would be great for viewing 1 or 2 objects in length, but a messier marathon type session would be a pain as they take a lot of mucking about to get all the angles right. A singe eyepiece is much easier to use.