PDA

View Full Version here: : Synscan - Consign it to history Please

glend
02-05-2014, 09:55 AM
I received my new shiny NEQ6Pro mount this week and set it up last night for the first time. I am very happy with the ability of the machinery, fabrication, and quality of the mount - but that Synscan hand controller is diabolical! In the age of Graphic User Interfaces why are we still handed two line LED displays that are little more than complicated low level interfaces. I started my career as an Assembler programmer, using punch card decks to load programs into IBM mainframes, so I considered myself fairly tolerant of low level control systems, but even I am amazed at Skywatcher continuing to provide this sort of control function to a GOTO mount (and without GPS as well). I have to assume that Skywatcher takes that view that they have to provide a basic level of control and for that purpose the Synscan suffices - if your patient and work through the limitiations. Serious users will be using other control systems anyway, and Skywatcher can't cater for all needs in that department. The state of the art (at least in terms of visual use control) has to be Sky Safari Pro (or other apps) connected via wifi for scope control (which I use on my big dob).

So I am not going to bother with wasting anymore of my time with Synscan, and ordered the Astro Devices Nexus-S, which plugs right into the bottom of the Synscan controller and provides the wifi to RS232 connection for Sky Safari Pro to control the NEQ6.

I will need to review this when it come time to setup imaging control, and welcome any suggestions from those that have been there and done that. Is it EQMOD?

LewisM
02-05-2014, 10:38 AM
I have used large GUI GOTO's - Vixen Starbooks of all incarnations. I HATE THEM! It's like a gameboy!

I like the Synscan simplicity VERY much. It tells me what I need and that's it. I am not in need of an atlas etc. Tried them, HATE them. Don't even like EQMOD through Stellarium etc on my PC. Even the multi-line iOptron display to me was too much.

I prescribe to the KISS principle, and this is what Skywatcher seems to do too. I have never needed anything else, don't think I will either. It makes imaging easier in my opinion,as the HC is easy to hold as you adjust target centering, focus etc (if not robotic).

To each their own.

Steffen
02-05-2014, 11:24 AM
If you want to dispose off your SynScan hand controller in an environmentally friendly way just send it to me ;)

Cheers
Steffen.

julianh72
02-05-2014, 11:35 AM
It may be too late for you, but IIS member "coldknights" (Cathy) is based in Victoria, and makes a range of WiFi and Bluetooth adapters for GoTo telescopes, for very attractive prices. See this thread:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=108338

I am using one of her Bluetooth controllers with a Meade LX90, driven from SkySafari 4 Plus on a Nexus 4 phone and a Nexus 7 tablet, and it works great - I can't speak too highly of it as a means for tracking down targets, or power-driving the telescope manually, and for logging observations on the fly!

I suggest it's well worth contacting Cathy if anyone is looking for an affordable way to control their powered GoTo telescope.

glend
02-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Unfortunately I have to have it to plug the Nexus-S into, otherwise I would send it to you.

As I said it provides a basic level of control, and information, no more, and for some people that's all they want. Horses for courses.

Astro_Bot
02-05-2014, 02:28 PM
It's simple because that's cheaper to make. :) There is the GUI SynScan Tour handset for people who want more, and it's fairly easily connected to a computer/gamepad/tablet/etc. for those that want to, but I like the simplicity. In fact, there are functions available in SynScan that I don't need.

SynScan is low power, low (red) light, light-weight/one-handed, survives being dropped and has big buttons. Really, once I've finished alignment, the only thing I need is the identity of the next target and the RA/DEC keys.

If I were to add anything to SynScan, it wouldn't be a GUI. I'd add custom tracking modes for comets and, say, the ISS - you'd enter some ephemeris data and SynScan should calculate the rest.

julianh72
02-05-2014, 03:37 PM
SkySafari won't drive a telescope so as to automatically track satellites in real time (as far as I know), but you can select from hundreds of satellites as GoTo targets, and if you tap the "GoTo" button periodically, it can keep the satellite centred pretty well in the field of view in real time. (Although it can be a bit of a challenge keeping up with some of the brighter and faster satellites such as the ISS and Iridiums, which can move pretty quickly - depending on how fast you have set your slew settings.)

Shiraz
02-05-2014, 05:40 PM
it is a bit PL/M 8080-ish isn't it? :lol: Does the job well enough though and is reliable (apart from the cable).

EQMOD is good.

peter_4059
02-05-2014, 07:31 PM
one word .... EQMOD

raymo
02-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Yours might be reliable, but mine is giving trouble, and will probably
cost a fortune to fix; [it's not the cable, I've already been plagued by
that problem].
raymo

coldknights
02-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Hi Raymo have a look at the hand-controllers circuit board under a microscope if you can to see if you have any dry joints !If you find any dry joints use a flux pen and a good solder something with 2% silver would be good and go over any bad solders you find!if you have not got this gear maybe someone you know might be able to help.

raymo
02-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Hi Cathy, I don't have a microscope, but I've had a look under an
8x loupe, and found nothing obvious. The graphics disappear from
the screen at least once per session, and all the command buttons
become deactivated, although it usually continues to track.[ not always]. Switch the mount off and on again, and the HC returns to normal, but, of course you have to start from scratch. Most frustrating.
raymo

coldknights
02-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Hi Raymo,
We got some USB gear from china a few weeks ago and the soldering was well shocking and they used a very cheap solder paste and there was a dry joint on every component on the board,we had to remove all the bad solder clean the boards down with a cleaning agent use solderfux pens and then reassemble the componets back onto the boards and solder them back on there Smd pads.
And these boards were new in the packet !
Sounds like a dry solder but would be hard to locate and would take at least 1hr to go over the whole board maybe have to cut your losses and buy a new or second hand controller .

raymo
02-05-2014, 09:57 PM
I'd pretty much reconciled myself to getting another one. Our two major
dealers quoted approx. $400 and $600. I found one in the U.K. for
159 euros. I can't imagine where I would find a used one.
raymo

coldknights
02-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Wow what a price !
There was someone in Tasmania a while back selling one don't know if they sold it but maybe worth putting up a wanted advertisement for a SynScan hand controller.

Good luck with it hope you find a good cheap one or you could use a EQmod cable a lot cheaper but a steep learning curve.

Let us know if you need a EQMOD cable we can make one for you !

raymo
02-05-2014, 10:57 PM
Thanks Cathy.
raymo

LewisM
02-05-2014, 11:37 PM
Steve at myastroshop.com.au sells them for $299 AUS with $12 post - I just asked him as I want a spare.

raymo
02-05-2014, 11:59 PM
Thanks Lewis.
raymo

coldknights
20-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Hi Raymo,
Did you get the hand controller working or did you buy another one ?