PDA

View Full Version here: : Height adjustable chair review

expon
01-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Hi all,
I have taken so much value from this site I thought I would try and contribute in some way to save some people a few bucks. Forgive me if this is not everyone's cup of tea.

My scope is the exact height, or should I say I am the exact height to get a sore back after long sessions of viewing. I wanted to get an observing chair but gawked at the prices. I considered building my own and had priced up the materials and was going to start the next day. That evening I was browsing on ebay and came across

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Height-Adjustable-Foldable-Stool-Seat-Chair-Made-In-Europe-/301163278666?pt=AU_Chairs&hash=item461ebaf14a&_uhb=1

I ordered one and have had it for a few weeks now (I actually ordered 2 expecting one to be a bit broken due to the price so I could butcher them into one mega chair)

After 3 weeks of light use due to work schedule and lots of clouds in Melbourne I have found it to be more than satisfactory. It's not padded but my butt is well padded so I find it comfortable but it's not like sitting back in your favourite chair. It’s is sturdy and I can lean back in it without the thing moving or ‘adjusting’ to the weight. I’m sure it’s heavier than more expensive designs but I can carry it in one hand with ease.

It can be adjusted to heights between a sitting height of 46cm and 71cm off the ground. It is easy to transport as folded up the chair is 50cm at it’s widest point and 110cm long and about 5cm thick. There are little nobs to hold the seat to the frame when folded so it doesn’t randomly unfold.

It's easily adjustable however there is a little extra fiddling involved that some may not like in the dark. I account this to the holes drilled a little to snug for the bolts, everything fits, it just doesn’t glide through like butter. I found that the plastic clips to stop the chair from unfolding when packed away tend to fall off when adjusting the chair. Some tape or glue would remedy this problem. The bolt assembly that threads through the frame to adjust the sitting height is of terrible build quality. It’s not going to break but out of the box it would be a massive test of patience in the dark. The bar is basically a long bolt with a plastic cog on each end to assist in spinning. The cogs are the issue and come loose making adjustments difficult. I glued the bolt head end to the plastic cog to stop it slipping out. The nut end could do with the same, or you could replace the nut with a wing nut or something similar and do away with the plastic cog all together.

It’s only available in one colour, a boring grey however im not sure black would be the best colour in the dark.

Overall I would recommend this chair to someone who is not fussed on keeping up with the jones’ and doesn’t mind to take the few mins to tweak the chair into quite a useable state. It’s sturdy and comfortable and a very affordable price to boot.

Sarge
01-05-2014, 10:36 PM
I bought a similar one from ALDI. Sold as an adjustable "ironing" chair. Painted steel, padded seat and folds for transport. Cost me $25 and it is a great match with my 12" dob.

Clear skies

Rod
:D:D