PDA

View Full Version here: : camera mount options

TidaLpHasE
28-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Hi all, i have just purchased an eq5 to use as my widefield imaging platform.

I would like to mount both the 350d and the 5d to the dovetail when imaging, and need advice regarding the most stable connection between the camera and the dovetail.

I have looked at the range of manfrotto ball heads, and also some o/s products, also the orion slow motion adapter.

If there is anyone here who has made an adapter of some sort, or could reccommend a decent system, i would appreciate the feedback and any suggestions.

Thanks

Trevor.

IanW
28-07-2006, 11:54 PM
All of the Manfrotto quick release systems suffer from a major defect. They allow the camera to rotate on the quick release plate, this becomes a real issue when using longer lenses or fast heavy glass.

I'd suggest you have a close look at the "Arca Swiss" type quick release system (QR) which is the industry standard for QR's in professional photography.

Manufacturers such as Kirk Photo (www.kirkphoto.com (http://www.kirkphoto.com)) or "Really Right Stuff" can supply not only the QR base but also a custom non rotating plate designed specifically for your cameras bodies. Plates for the 350D and 5D run around $55 USD each and the QR platforrm clamps range from $40 to $115 USD each depending on length. Shipping is via FedEx only though.

Cheers,
Ian

TidaLpHasE
29-07-2006, 09:23 AM
:)Thanks Ian, they look like a really pro product, definately worth the price.

I am a little impatient when it comes to buying stuff, i wanted it yesterday with most things:lol:

I might try the manfrotto product first, as i can have it now and at least use the new setup, i may later on invest in a more solid product like the arca swiss.

Thanks for the reply, cheers

Trevor.

IanW
29-07-2006, 12:00 PM
No worries Trevor,

The Arca style release is the standard system used worldwide by professional photographers and many advanced amateurs.

If you're going the Manfrotto route the Hexagonal plates are the toughest Manfrotto produce. The newer release plates are hollow underneath from memory so you might be able to attach a small stop plate (scrap of right angle aluminium) or a cap screw, bolt etc to stop the camera twisting on the plate.

Good luck!