PDA

View Full Version here: : Mount Recommendation?

glend
25-04-2014, 10:29 AM
I am in the market for a Goto mount for my 127mm iStar refractor build project. The OTA (tube frame, objective, and Moonlight focuser) looks like coming in at a weight of around 8.5kg and I still need to allow for the 2" diagonal, EPs, and the finderscope. Bearing in mind the folk lore that you should not run a mount at more that 2/3s of its rated capacity, I suppose I need at least 12-14kg of payload weight handling. This is for primarily visual use now, but I do plan on getting into imaging in the future. I think I will need PEC. The obvious local supplier choices are the HEQ5 (at around $1200) or maybe the NEQ6, which both seen to have the capacity I will need (or more). I like the iOptron ZE25GT which is available now at $1399 but seems to be abit payload limited for this scope. I have an iOptron Smartstar G goto mount that I like (now that I have mod'ed the Alt bearing and clutch) so I am familiar with the Goto Nova system. I would like a mount that I can drive using Sky Safari Plus or Pro, which I currently use for my big dob pushto system.
Also as the 127mm iStar has a fl of 1500mm I want a mount that can control (and damp) a long scope (which while well balanced) does have some of the heavy bits on either end.

Ideally it should be as light as possible as I go out to dark sites often, and don't have an observatory, etc.

Any advice? Other mounts to consider?

allan gould
25-04-2014, 11:01 AM
The ioptron cem60 is a possible choice but more expensive than an eq6. Lighter but higher payload.
Allan

Merlin66
25-04-2014, 11:14 AM
The NEQ6pro would do the job nicely.
A reasonably cost effective solution....

LewisM
25-04-2014, 11:17 AM
I DID have an NEQ6, but keeping that even after the NJP arrives - good back up mount, and one tuned so incredibly well.

I do have a GPD2 available, which rates 10kg PHOTOGRAPHICALLY, or around 15kg visual. Cheap for such a precise mount at $800 :D

glend
25-04-2014, 11:42 AM
I ran across this Uk article which reviews the Skywatcher and iOptron mounts performance, and from this it seems the iOptron mount performance (PEC and Resolution) is outstripping the SKywatcher benchmark mounts.

http://www.ioastronomy.co.uk/2013/12/ioptron-vs-skywatcher-comparison-review/

The NEQ6 (locally sourced from say Andrews) is very cost effective, and has good capacity, but the iEQ45 and CEM60 seem to have better performance with the same capacity. I'd like to keep the cost below $2000 AUD.

I need to consider that I will 'probably' build a larger iStar refractor in the future and will want 'reserve' payload capacity so that I don't need to replace this mount later. That eventuality is pushing me towards the NEQ6 - I think. :question:

brian nordstrom
25-04-2014, 12:16 PM
:) Glen , I had an IEQ45 and it was a great mount , it held my Istar 127mm f8 easily , but I had to buy a WO hardwood HD tripod as , as usual most Chinese mounts have tripods to short for longish refractor OTA's .
Your OTA will be about 1300mm long ? so you need either a taller tripod or pier extension with all the mounts that are easily available today ,, if you don't want to sit on the ground while observing anywhere near the zenith .

I recommend Ioptron's IEQ45 without hesitation .

By the way I love your build so far , awesome .

Brian.

nebulosity.
25-04-2014, 05:55 PM
I use an iOptron IEQ45 and it is brilliant! The GPS is a breeze and a quick PA (<3 minutes) with the illuminated polar scope will give me round stars with 2 minute exposures at 1200mm.

Jo

Shiraz
25-04-2014, 06:15 PM
an unbiased opinion from an iOptron dealer eh?

seriously, if you go the Skywatcher route, get an EQ6 - the HEQ5 is great, but the extra carrying capability of the EQ6 does not cost a lot more and they are still fairly easy to use as a portable mount.

glend
25-04-2014, 08:59 PM
In reading it I got the impression that his Skywatcher experience and research with the importer made him decide to adopt the product. Then again show me a dealer that is not biased. The chart he produced seems factual.

In any event my budget and the need for capacity growth will probably set me on a course for the EQ6.

Re the aluminium, I do have a good router and will give it a try to cut the front plate spacer. I found a write-up where a guy used kitchen cutting board which he cut out with a jig saw and scewed on aluminium collimation blocks. I will try a few options but lean towards keeping the natural product theme.

glend
28-04-2014, 11:11 AM
I decided to go with the safe option the NEQ6PRO from Andrews. I liked the iEQ45 but it was more expensive and has still has some issues with ASCOM drivers (as all iOptrons seem to) - and the local supplier who has it on special never got back to me.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

BPO
29-04-2014, 04:44 PM
That's possibly the best bang-for-buck mount around, and EQMOD takes it up yet another level or five.