PDA

View Full Version here: : Skylight Telescopes 102 F7 R.ED

Camelopardalis
22-04-2014, 01:27 PM
I had my first experience of Richard Day's work at AstroFest in London a couple of years back. The Skylight Telescopes (http://skylight-telescopes.com) long focal length achro refractors were a stunning sight to behold, but being a bit of a "cat" man I already had a long focal length instrument.

Having met Richard and had the opportunity to admire his work a couple of times, when he decided to try a new direction to complement the long achros with a wide field instrument, with a quick email discussion with him I was sold :)

My Skylight Telescopes 102 F7 R.ED arrived a couple of weeks back, but the weather in Sydney has been pretty awful, and while eager to get first light I've so far found myself catching glimpses between the clouds :sadeyes:

My first impressions of the scope, the feeling of joy and awe, haven't subsided in the time it has been sitting in my lounge. It really is a work of art, a beautiful hand made piece that has been skilfully crafted, and I am very proud to own one of the first. My attempts at photographing the scope sadly do not do the finish justice, so I encourage you to come see me at IISAC for a further look. The candy apple red and brass is simply stunning.

For me, the beauty of the scope's form will be in synergy with it's function... my main dark site scope (C11) has a focal length of about 2800mm, so the 102mm f/7 Skylight with its focal length about a quarter of that at 714mm will serve as my wide / rich field scope. Many people criticise SCTs for their narrow FOV, but I feel it presents an opportunity for a perfect complement such as this :D

From a practical sense, the scope weighs about 7kg and mounts perfectly into TeleVue's 4" clamshell as shown here, riding on a TeleVue Gibraltar. The scope features a Skylight rack and pinion focuser which is smooth and with good resistance, reassuring since I am using with a TeleVue Everbright 2" diagonal and the eyepiece shown, Pentax XW 40mm, weighs 700g. With this eyepiece, this gives me a maximum FOV of about 3.7 degrees, although at about 17x this magnification would only be useful at a dark site. The scope includes a 2" to 1.25" adapter and a brass 1.25" stop (not shown).

As you can probably tell from my gratuitous collection of pictures, I am very pleased with the Skylight 102 R.ED...it is an exquisite piece to behold. I look forward to adding some observational experience once I get some quality time under the stars...I simply can't wait to get under the Milky Way with the Skylight!

cometcatcher
22-04-2014, 01:41 PM
Very nice. Would be good for astrophotography too.

killswitch
22-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Thats a neat setup Dunk. Hand made stuff always has that nice finishing touch to it.

Should have saved first light for IISAC ;)

brian nordstrom
22-04-2014, 03:59 PM
:) That is one seriously handsome telescope Dunk :eyepop:, and I agree with your comment on SCT's , perfect for easy high power work and mine is optically/mechically perfect so that's why I have a Takahashi SKY90 at 500mm's fl , its awesome and compliments my C9.25 well as I recon this sweet scope of yours will be to your C11,
, congratulations mate . :thumbsup: .
Brian.

Wavytone
22-04-2014, 04:06 PM
Hmm methinks someone wants to copy my setup :rofl:

Dunk, at the risk of receiving virtual kicks under the table from others here, I'm going to suggest the novelty of the refractor will wear off. While at first it seemed like A Really Good Idea™, I hardly use my 102mm ED f/7 these days.

However 700mm is a useful focal length for photographing the moon or a solar eclipse with say an APS-C or m4/3 camera body.

MortonH
22-04-2014, 05:47 PM
True, a refractor is unlikely to be the scope of choice every night, but for quick and simple setup it's a wonderful change from the bigger scopes when the mood takes you.

Plus, I'm looking forward to seeing the entire Veil nebula at once with a 40mm Paragon :D

Camelopardalis
22-04-2014, 06:41 PM
Thanks chaps :)

It will really seem like proper first light at IISAC, hoping for decent weather. It has sat in the garden with me a couple of times while I despair at the disparity between the forecast and actual :sadeyes: one time I caught sight of the (practically full) Moon and it was beautifully crisp, with just a little false colour on the outermost edge.

The Skylight will fill multiple roles, not least of which is looking pretty, wide field viewing (Veil should be easy), one piece grab and go, but it's also plan B for times the SCT is dewstruck :D copying setups wasn't on the list, so that one was accidental - sorry :lol:

PlanetMan
22-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Hi Dunk

First - I can certainly relate to your weather experience as first the forecasts haven't matched the actual conditions. It has felt like almost 3 weeks worth of rainy nights and now while there isn't any precipitation it has been cloud free but frustratingly hazy!

I think the real question with Richard Days latest foray is the glass. He started out with a F15 achro, then switched to a very well regarded Carton F13 and now back to a F15 which isn't made but is QC'd by Televue. So, what would be interesting is who is making the F7 ED lens he is now using in these models

Camelopardalis
22-04-2014, 08:27 PM
Interesting question PM...Richard is choosy about the glass he uses - the reputation of his telescopes depend on it - and I think it's a case of letting the glass speak for itself in this case too.

Camelopardalis
20-05-2014, 09:52 PM
I'm pretty impressed with the glass so far - beautiful sharp stars and a nice flat field - prefect for my intended purpose :)

For anyone interested in seeing it, I'll be at SPSP, so just look for the candy red and brass scope :D

MortonH
20-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Good thing summer's over. Those colours would probably attract all sorts of wildlife! :lol:

MortonH
03-06-2014, 11:35 AM
You can now get a white version by special order. How cool would that be on a cold, frosty night!

Camelopardalis
03-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Very smart :) Richard has also shown a version of the AR101 in black too.

killswitch
03-06-2014, 02:40 PM
I like the Gold/Red better, its Iron Man like...

MortonH
03-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Yeah, but white and gold is like... Elton John?

vaztr
04-06-2014, 07:32 AM
Iron Man!!!,

We need to get Baz (bloodhound31) in his homemade IronMan costume to this scope so we can get a picture!!!

VAZ

Camelopardalis
04-06-2014, 10:30 AM
:lol: I hadn't made the iron man connection but now you come to mention it :D