PDA

View Full Version here: : Which mount to Buy for Astrophotography?

Garyh
27-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Hello all,
I am farily new to this forum so Gi-day to everyone.:hi:
I am in the process of upgrading my equatorial mount which is a chinese eq5 mount which I have modded but still not happy with and was wondering which way to go? Something that will track very well with low PEC and goto if possible but not essential. Load of about 10kgs about. Anyone can recommend any gear? I have followed a thread recently about mounts but astrophotography was not the main reason for upgrading. The vixen sphinx was recommended by a few..how do the meade lx-75 mounts fair up? Anyone with any of these mounts with good or bad news..
I love to hear owners opinion on there mounts and what would be best value for hard earned cash...as like most of us we are lacking that stuff!!!!
Gary

ving
27-07-2006, 02:28 PM
heq5 eq6?
whats your price limit?

Dennis
27-07-2006, 02:34 PM
If you want a mount that should satisfy you for the next 10 or so years, have a look at the For Sale (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=11958)forum at the Takahashi EM200 for sale by Stefan at $2900. Not cheap by any means, and no GoTo, but if you are going to stay in the hobby and the astrophotography bug bites you, the EM200 is an excellent mount.

Cheers

Dennis

rogerg
27-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Gary,

Depends largely on your budget. I do'nt know the seller, but this EM200 would be excellent... +/- 5 arc seconds... MMMm nice for astro photography. [edit: damn, Dennis beat me to it...]
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=135449#post135449

Only down side is I don't think you can link the EM200 to a computer for GOTO etc. Also not sure what that means for auto guiding?

Other than that..I chose the Losmandy GM-8.. see my comments here:

http://www.rogergroom.com/rogergroom/esh_rog_item.jsp?Item=260&ParentNodeId=57

Roger.

Garyh
27-07-2006, 02:48 PM
hi Ving and Dennis, havn`t looked at the eq6 as it seems a bit on the big side for what I want and the em200 would be great!!! I just saw that add too a min ago, wonder if my wife will let me spend all our money? Hoping to get something under $2500 but boy will be broke!!!! Will check out the Losmandy gm-8 somemore....who sells them over here anyways?
Gary

rogerg
27-07-2006, 03:23 PM
I got mine from Matthew... www.telescopes-astronomy.com.au (http://www.telescopes-astronomy.com.au)

Roger.

Dennis
27-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Hi Gary

The EM200 listed does not come with a tripod. New, Tak tripods cost around $1000 although AEC have a demo one listed at $690 (Takahashi SE-M Hardwood Tripod $690). (http://www.astronomy-electronics-centre.com.au/)Also, you would need a mount adapter and mounting rings, so the costs will blow out by a significant amount if you decide on the 2nd hand Tak EM200.

Cheers

Dennis

astro_nutt
27-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Hi Gary, I've seen a Meade LX-75 EQ5 mount at Bintel(Melb)..I think it retails for about $2450 with autostar..A neat feature is an (optional) adaptor which is fitted to the bottom of the counterweight shaft..this will allow you to mount a second camera tracking another object other than your scope!!
Anyway I hope you find what you're looking for!!

Dave47tuc
27-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Hi Gary,
This thread mite help you as it helped me!
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=11518

Good luck.

g__day
27-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Read the following * * * A definitive guide to GoTo Mounts

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8135&highlight=goto

Garyh
27-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks guys,
Yeah Dave thats the same post I have been following as well. Not many votes for the lx-75 mount!!, I don`t know why as yet?
The eq6 is to heavy for me I think and I am leaning towards the GM-8.
Interesting reviews Roger! seems to reinforce what I might go for. Should not be too dear without the gemini goto..I can get that latter down the track maybe, Though the Sphinx with its starbook is very tempting to me as well..:shrug:
The em200 would be sooo nice but too many extra costs...I don`t think I could afford it...
Any other mounts worth looking at in this price range?
Gary

Dennis
27-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Hi Gary

Gerald Sargent at the Qld Astrofest had a Losmandy G-8 for sale, with Gemini GoTo I believe. Would you like me to find out his contact details (lives in Brisbane)?

Cheers

Dennis

Garyh
27-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Hello Dennis
Yes please, that would be great if you could find out his contact details.
Cheers
Gary

ausastronomer
27-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Gary,

You indicated your CG5 was not up the task you required in terms of PEC and wished to upgrade to a mount with low PEC for high level astrophotography.

You can forget about some of the Chinese crappo mounts that have been recommended. Yep they have the load capacity, thats about all. Low PEC requires a precision mount built under the best quality control. The Chinese mounts aren't quite there yet. Some of them are fine and people produce great images with them, a lot are not so fine. Unfortunately, it's a lottery. With low quality control and poor machining/manufacturing tolerances, the chances of getting a mount that tracks about as accurately as me walking home from the pub on a Friday night after 20 schooners (all over the place) is pretty high. For every one that tracks very accurately there are five that won't track. IMO you can forget about things like the EQ5, EQ6 and the Meade LXD-75 as it's too risky as to getting a dud. Your CG5 is also in this very same class. If you were to go with one of the larger Chinese/Taiwanese mounts, you're only improving the load capacity not improving the quality and PEC correction.

I would be looking for one of the following mounts.

1) The Takahashi EM-200 is an excellent mount which can be retrofitted with Argo Navis or the Temma 2 controller for goto capability. A top grade mount in every respect. There has already been reference to one of these available 2nd hand. Give this a lot of thought, no better mount in this size class.

2) Vixen GP-DX with Sky Sensor 2000. This is an excellent mount with proven low PEC. It can be picked up for between $1,500 and $2,000 2nd hand, including the Sky Sensor 2000 Goto controller. If you can find one, this would be my choice as the best value for money option.

3) Losmandy GM-8 with Gemini. Another excellent mount and ergonomically very user friendly. The older ones didn't have quite as good a PEC as mounts like the GP-DX and the Tak EM-200 but I believe this QC issue was addressed a couple of years ago and those of recent manufacture are excellent.

PS: Do you have the original F5 TV Genesis or the later F5.4 version ? Are you aware the TV Genesis uses some optical tricks and although the scope is F5.4 the doublet operates at F12?
It's a lovely scope BTW

CS and good luck !!
John B

Garyh
28-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi John, thanks for info the guys, I think I might go for the Losmandy mount and chase up some prices..
My old televue genesis is the older f/5 version not the first but second revision I think..nice scope I wish I could fix the focuser up a little, I understand that the newer ones they fixed up the focuser. Takes some nice pictures still for a older scope.
Gary

Harpspitfire
30-07-2006, 10:35 AM
good post john b!!!- im the owner of CG5,s and know what you mean- when i post something like that at astronomy com about chinese mounts and PEC- i get my a** chewed out with a PM form the moderator soldiers- LOL, really, i like to read honest opinions!!