PDA

View Full Version here: : Lost with a lot of stuff i dont understand

Garron
27-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Hi all
i was hopeing that some one can help me PLEASE.
i just got a telescope for a gift and i have no idear how to drive it.:eyepop:
this is what i have
1 Vicoda telescope 76700. Reflector. i think it a 6 inch
it came with a book on how to put it together and that is all ( damn it lol)
it also came wit 1x. 1.5x erecting eyepice
and 1x. 3x barlow lens
and 1x. sr 4mm eyepice
1x. f 12.5 mm eyepice
1x. h 20mm eyepice
and 1x green thing that says moon on it
now if i knew i was going to get it i would have got some books so i have at least a little bit of a idear how to use it.
i guess my question is that if i want to look at the moon what do i use ?
any advice would be a big help

Thanks
Garron :P

ving
27-07-2006, 02:17 PM
first up, hi and welcome aboard :)

76700. 76 is the size of teh primary mirror 700 is the focal length... 76mm is about 3 inches

for bird watching and other terestrail viewing
this will increase your magnification 3 fold or there abouts. you probably wont use it much as you will get too much magnification from it for your scopes practical power limit.
[quoteand 1x. sr 4mm eyepice
1x. f 12.5 mm eyepice
1x. h 20mm eyepice [/quote]the 4mm gives you the most magnification and the 20mm the least. i am thinking the 4mm will be very hard to use properly.
this cuts down on teh glare produced by the moon. it screws into the bottom of the eyepiece

the moon isnt out at night at the moment but wait a few days and it will be out in the early evening. right now (at night not litteraly now) if you lokk pretty much straight up the brightest star is jupiter. I have one of those scopes (like yours) at the moment i am trying to sell for a friend and with it i can make out the banding on jupiter and see the 4 main moons.... give it a try. you will mainly use the 12.5 and 20mm eyepiece, infact start with the 20mm

now if your scope is anything like the one i have then when you look at a bright star it may not focus into a roundish dot. the main mirror was pinched in this one and i had to pull it apart and losen off the mirror clamp.

feel free to ask more questions :)

iceman
28-07-2006, 06:10 AM
Hi Garron!

Sounds like your typical ebay/dept store refractor. It might keep your interest for a while, but before long you'll get frustrated at the wobbly mount, the small aperture, the fuzzy views - and you'll either give the hobby away or long for something more.

Hopefully it's the latter! And we can help you spend your money to get you something more! :)

Try to get along to an observing night near you, and check out the view in a REAL telescope. You'll never go back to the small wobbly refractor! :)

Garron
28-07-2006, 07:28 AM
Hi Iceman

Thank you for the relpy
You hit the nail on the head i did get it of ebay $60 and its IS a wobbly and fuzzy lump of @#*T

it made my first nights viewing trumaic to say the least
but i can see the fun it could give me.
And to see some of the pics you guys have posted made my mouth water
if only lol
anyhow thanks again all you guys have been very helpful

Clear skys Iceman

Garron

ving
28-07-2006, 11:38 AM
he has a reflector mike :P