PDA

View Full Version here: : Orion CF 80T

dennisjames1
18-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Well I got the Orion CF 80T. I love the look the feel it does say quality. I seem to having an issue with sharp focus, I'm hoping that perhaps it was the seeing conditions or perhaps the CF tube not adjusting as quickly as they say they do to the outside conditions, l just had the feeling it was slightly off exact collimation. could that happen?

Just thought i'd put it out there, has anyone had experience like this ?

cheers

Dennis

omegacrux
18-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Probably just seeing conditions
Sometimes focus is damn near impossible , don't fiddle with the collimation
Just wait for a decent night and you will notice a difference , star's will be pinpoint and the planets will be a nice disc

David

dennisjames1
18-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Hi David

I notice a little play in the focuser i can see movement where the grub screws attach the focuser body to the tube, ever so slightly but it's there.

should that be more snug?

cheers

Dennis

ps

Are there collimation screws for the lens, doesn't appear noticeable but i guess there must with a triplet ?

cheers

Dennis

casstony
18-04-2014, 11:02 AM
If you have a collimated laser collimator, put it in the focuser, check that the dot is hitting the centre of the objective and firm up the screws attaching the focuser to the tube. At this point the return bean should be hitting the centre of the collimator target, assuming the objective is properly square to the tube.

To find the centre of the objective you can make up a paper mask with a centre dot to put over the dew shield.

dennisjames1
18-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Thanks Tony
No I don't have one, i assume the same as for a reflector, i can get one

cheers

Dennis

casstony
18-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Any cheap laser collimator will do the job Dennis, providing it comes properly collimated or has collimation adjustments.

dennisjames1
18-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Hello Again David and Tony

David you are so right focus is more of a challenge with a triplet and i have also discovered that all eyepieces are not equal :) Some appear to show their weakness in a triplet.

The seeing much better tonight

I have only one Televue an old Plossol and it was nice, better colour and image compared to the Meades i thought were ok.

cheers

Dennis

omegacrux
19-04-2014, 07:16 AM
Cool
The play in the focuser can be reduced by tightening the screws under the focuser , but keep checking the focuser works well .
Too tight and focuser won't move , you have to find a happy medium

David