PDA

View Full Version here: : 12V Hairdryer

JohnH
27-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Where to buy? How much to pay? Given all the rain in Sydney - if we get another clear night I recon I'll be fighting the wet stuff....the OTA is OK but my eps and guidescope are vulnarable....

astronut
27-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi John, I would recommend dew heaters over the hair dryer.
You can buy them, but they are expensive. Homemade heaters are just as good and A LOT CHEAPER. If you are handy with DIY there are articles in the projects section of I.I.S. on how to make them.
I have made them for my scope and couldn't live without them, and I don't have to think about it once turned on.:) John.

nightsky
27-07-2006, 12:10 PM
G'Day JohnH
Not sure if this item would suite your needs, I saw a 12v Hair Dryer in "Boating Warehouse" for $19:95 1.5 metre cable plugs into cig lighter 180 watts Item No7044 they have a branch at West Gosford here is there web page www.biasboating.com.au (http://www.biasboating.com.au) phone 1300727695
NightSky

wavelandscott
27-07-2006, 12:38 PM
I too would recommend the dew heaters over the hair dyer but, it does come at a cost...you will be a slave to "electric power"

The hair dryer is a good "short term" portable solution...

Most any "nautical supply store" should have them around AUD$20 (give or take)

I use both on depending on the night...

Lester
27-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Hi John,

the resister type heaters are very easy to make and cheap. I have one on my SCT, which keeps dew at bay most of the time. I should have made it a bit more powerful. The hair dryer is simple, but the 12 volt don't put out the heat that a 240 volt does, so to get rid of dew will take longer.

RAJAH235
27-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Hello John. 12 volt hairdryers are avail from any/most boat/caravan parts suppliers. They average $20. Any more than that, don't buy. Email John at > john_at_five-islands-marine.com.au < for good prices on them.
They do draw/use a lot of power from your battery tho. So be frugal with it's use, or buy a bigger battery.
HTH. :D L.
ps. Resistor type dew heaters are easily made. Lots of diff designs around.