PDA

View Full Version here: : VMC 95L feedback?

st1000
10-04-2014, 08:48 AM
I'm considering buying a VMC 95L because I need a compact, easy to transport (as in transport overseas) telescope. I've read some reviews on the internet about the VMC 95L saying very positive things about this scope, and haven't really read anything negative other than one person experience collimation problems. Most of the reviews are about the VMC 110L, about which there have been positive and negative things said. I'm not sure if the negative experiences reflect earlier production models or if they apply to recently purchased models.

So, I wanted to specifically ask for any member feedback about experiences with the VMC 95L? There may be a difference compared with the VMC 110L because the 95L is slightly slower, which might make it more forgiving of any optical aberrations. Therefore I am specifically interested in feedback on the VMC95L not the VMC110L.

Also, I am particularly interested in feedback from people who have purchased the 95L in the last 2 or 3 years.

Steve

ZeroID
10-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Good reveiw on CN

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2704

st1000
10-04-2014, 11:50 AM
Thanks, yes that was the one I was referring to when I mentioned there are some very positive comments about the VMC95L.

There is also a review at http://scopeviews.co.uk/VixenVMC95.htm : "Not really recommended."

As a result feedback from users here who have them would be much appreciated.

Larryp
10-04-2014, 01:52 PM
I once had a VMC110, and the image was incredibly dim. I didn't find it satisfactory for anything other than the moon. I think if you want to go that small, buy a refractor.:)

st1000
10-04-2014, 04:10 PM
The thing is, those two links I gave, one a very positive review the other with the conclusion "Not really recommended" said respectively:

" I can’t think of anything I don’t like about it, and it collects a lot of light considering its size" (http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2704)

"Compact DSOs – The Ring, Dumbbell, Orion Nebula etc - generally looked good in the VMC at low-medium powers, with the large (for its size) aperture and flat field working in its favour. In particular, M13 looked brighter and resolved more deeply than with most small refractors. So the VMC 95L might prove a satisfying compact deep-sky tool." (http://scopeviews.co.uk/VixenVMC95.htm)

The latter comment, part of the "Not really recommended" review, suggests that the smaller VMC95L is working better in terms of light gathering than most small refractors.

Also remember that I am looking for something I can easily travel overseas with. If we consider the Vixen ED80Sf as a possible "small refractor" candidate, it is 22.4" long and weights 7.5 lb. The VMC95L is 14" long and weighs 4 lb so it is significantly more compact.

Larryp
10-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Stellarvue 80 mm is 17" long with dew shield retracted-much smaller than the Vixen, and a really excellent scope-I had one of them as well. I stand by my comments about the VMC 110, and that is from personal experience!:)

BlackWidow
10-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Well I might be what you are looking for. I own the 95 and am using it as a guide scope. I had issues with this scope to start with and sent it back for a replacement. Could not get nice round stars no matter what I did. The one I have now is far better than the first one, and I am happy with it as a guide scope and a grab and go..

After saying all of that It is the base model in the range and made in China. Unlike the 110 and above are made in Japan. It presents good value for money but lacks a little in overall image clarity. It really gets down to your expectations and needs in a scope. This is really a well priced little unit. For planet viewing it's pretty good and easy to carry around. I took mine to Alaska last year. Some good points are that it has no corrector plate so you won't get dew problems which is a real asset when you are using a grab and go.

I purchased the PortaMount and find that very good to use. Nice looking scope also, but I don't think they are stocked here in Australia. I purchased my from ScopeCity in the USA whilst on holiday

Hope this helps

st1000
10-04-2014, 07:49 PM
Thank you for your reply. I think the VMC110L is made in China too. When did you buy the first 95? It sounds like the replacement unit has no problems then?

st1000
10-04-2014, 07:57 PM
The VMC110 is not the VMC95 though - the 110 is faster so there might be a difference in how it handles aberrations - and I'm not sure when you bought your 110 or if there is something defective with your particular unit?

Larryp
10-04-2014, 08:16 PM
I did not have any problems with aberrations-optically it was fine-it was simply dim! An 80mm ED refractor would be at least 50% brighter.
Anyway its obvious you do not wish to hear any criticism, so I will not comment any further.

BlackWidow
11-04-2014, 01:19 PM
I purchased the 95 about 2 1/2 years ago in San Fran. When I got home I was not able to collimate it at all and nor could anyone else. I contacted the Asto shoppe here in Australia and they were very helpful but could not replace the scope as they did not stock it. So I contacted Vixen in the USA and they were great. They asked me to send it back for a full replacement. Fantastic service. The new one works fine and I am happy with it. Performs great for it price. It's not going to give you the results of a bigger or more expensive scope, but for its price and size it performs well....

Would I purchase another one if I lost this one? Yes

No point talking about the 110 as it is not the same scope. You won't find many people here in Australia with the 95 as the agent claims he never stocked the 95.

st1000
11-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I'm fortunate to hear from a VMC95L owner in Australia. I have checked with Steve at Astro Shop and he said he can order one for me.

One of the reviews I mentioned stated:

"The first thing I noticed was how long the VMC 95 took to cool and how poor the image whilst it was doing so, with massive astigmatism (so much so that it was impossible to get consistent focus across the field)."

"Like Jupiter, the view of the Moon was good up to about 70x, giving a bright, sharp, high-contrast view similar to a small APO. But again the image went soft at higher magnifications – radically different from the Questar whose excellent optics swallow high magnifications with ease."

Was this your experience?

st1000
12-04-2014, 12:45 PM
You use the VMC 95L with the Porta Mount and not the Mini Porta Mount?

BlackWidow
12-04-2014, 10:00 PM
No I can't say I have really had this problem. I have read that also when I was looking at purchasing one. It is open at the end with no corrector plate so I am not sure why this guy had this problem. I have the problem with my LX200, but not with the vixen.