PDA

View Full Version here: : Observing Tables

drmorbius
25-07-2006, 07:06 PM
While at the Qld Astrofest, I was impressed with some of the clever innovations people came up with to make observing that little bit easier :thumbsup:. In particular, I saw some very clever designs for portable tables and "desks" to hold charts and miscellaneous bits & pieces while observing.

Unfortunately, I wasn't clever enough to take photos of them to give me some ideas from which to start making my own :doh:. So I was hoping I could talk some of you fine folk into posting pictures of what you've done for your observing desks and tables.

Anyone have some good ideas they'd like to share?

astroron
25-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Hi Dr M have a look at mine when you next come up to my place.:thumbsup:

iceman
26-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Ian Ogilvie wrote a how-to on a very nice one here:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.php?id=63,194,0,0,1,0

astronut
27-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Hi Dr.M, My table isn't as hi tech as Mike's:lol: but it does get the job done.
I will be making a hood for it, to keep the dew out.
Just some 3ply for the base and some decorative edging.
A couple of coats of marine varnish keep everything protected.
The legs are off my kids old swimming pool and the tube is plastic water pipe.
The table can be swivelled so that you can orientate for the changes in the sky. John.:)

drmorbius
27-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Thanks John,

I prefer something nice and simple like yours to high tech any day. I love working with wood but don't have the space nor the equipment to do anything too fancy.

I agree with getting a hood, one of the main requirements for my table is to keep the dew off and provide some red light (like Ians design). I've been trying to have a go at sketching and my paper keep getting all wet.

cheers -- randall

astronut
27-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Randall, Trust me you don't need a woodworking shop to make this.
I used a standard hand saw, and a homemade mitre box ( a 15cmx 15cm piece of wood with a piece of u shaped aluminimum with a 45degree cut into it) My work shop was my back porch. Everything was handsanded, and the table was inclined to 22degrees for viewing comfort, again with a piece of angled pipe:eyepop: But in the end I have a table that serves me well.:thumbsup:

Dennis
29-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Here are some photos of my observing hutch. It folds up into the table top cavity which can hold all the legs, cover, curtain, shoe holder, power boards, light, etc and can be carried like an oversize attaché case.

I designed and built it some 10 years ago and continue to modify it and improve it each year.

Cheers

Dennis

drmorbius
29-07-2006, 08:47 AM
That's excellent Dennis :thumbsup:. Although I'm struggling to work out how all those tiny bits and pieces turn into a full-fledged obersving desk. :) Thanks.

John - I'll be interested to see what you do to put a hood on yours.

BTW - I've been waiting for Nightshift to post his observing desk... Morbius Jr was most impressed (or was that confused) with it at Astrofest... ;)

Dennis
29-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Hi Randall

I've just added a 5th photo showing the framework that supports the blue shoe carrier (pockets for cables, accessories, etc) and canvas fly sheet cover.

Cheers

Dennis

drmorbius
01-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks everyone, that's given me some great ideas to get me started.

I went down to Bunnings and priced some plywood... Crikey! This may not be the cheap project I'd planned on. MDF is more reasonable priced, but probably not a good choice for use outdoors in the damp.

I'll let you know what I end up with... cheers!