PDA

View Full Version here: : Worth getting a shroud for 12 inch truss Dob?

SimmoW
07-04-2014, 05:08 PM
Is it? I've just acquired a lovely Meade Lightbridge 12 incher, spectacular scope and even fits in my car for dark sky visits!

But I'm left wondering whether it's worth investing in a shroud to improve the contrast, or whatever. I observe from Cheltenham Vic, light polluted but doesn't seem too bad, and no immediate bright lights in view.

Anyone use one & compare? This astro gig is so expensive with all the addons, I'm reluctant to invest money (and setup time!) without hearing that it's worth it.

Thanks

Simon

JethroB76
07-04-2014, 06:00 PM
I have one on my 12" lightbridge and find it causes a noticeable difference in my backyard in Launceston

-George-
07-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Nice telescope. Was going to get that one myself in a week or 2, but decided to save some $ since I didn't need the truss rod convenience. Happy Seeing!

SimmoW
07-04-2014, 10:35 PM
Thanks Jethro and George. Yes it seems to be a nice scope, except for the red dot finder which is pretty much impossible to adjust. It's way off. I feel a return visit to Bintel is needed!

gary
09-04-2014, 03:58 PM
Hi Simon,

I have a couple of new JMI Lightbridge 12" shrouds on the shelf here,
JMI part number SHRD1432.
http://www.jimsmobile.com/images/shroud_1432.jpg

If you are still looking for one I am sure we could supply one of these
to you for a price well below current retail as I would sooner see it
on your scope rather than taking space on my shelf.

Best Regards

Gary Kopff
Managing Director
Wildcard Innovations Pty. Ltd.
20 Kilmory Place, Mount Kuring-Gai
NSW. 2080. Australia
Phone +61-2-9457-9049
Fax +61-2-9457-9593
sales@wildcard-innovations.com.au
http://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au

SimmoW
09-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Thanks Gary, I've since taken everyone's advice and ordered one from OS, but am still waiting for them to get back re. shipping. If I cancel it I'll take you up on the offer, Ta!

Simon