PDA

View Full Version here: : My new Pier

g__day
23-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Well its close to completed now, just wondering whether to weld extra corner balkwards to reduce any vibration...

So a piccy or two and if folk are interested I'll write a more detailed how to guide!

Under the mount there is 180KG of cement with 30cm 15mm bolts anchoring it (hidden below the pavers).

The mount is a 1.3 metre length of 5 mm thick steel cylinder of 140mm diameter, filled with sand, MIG welded to a 45cm square 8mm plate that is cold galvanised underneath and painted gloss black on top.

The tube at its top is bolted to a 75 cm long rod of marine grade aluminium cylinder that is 130 mm in diameter, professionally milled down to 128.8 mm. The cylinder has a 150 mm diammeter stainless steel cap 3mm thick bolted on. The cylinder and cap have a 60 cm diameter well drilled 2 cm deep with the core locking bolt passed through.

I took the original Celestron South peg and drilled and taped this into the mount attackment head and voila!

Finally the rod is then locked into the mount with 8 stainless steel bolts and its dead level!

Total cost - about $400 for materials and milling labour :)

xelasnave
23-07-2006, 10:22 PM
Looks great. It will be worth the effort when the photos start to happen.
Love the al.cylinder
alex

Astroman
23-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Nice pier there G_ looks like it should do the job :P

Hammerman
23-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Gotta love a well made homemade project. Very nice!:thumbsup:

sheeny
24-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Looks good!:thumbsup:

I have been thinking about how I would do this, and your solution is down a different track to what I've been trying to design. Yours is simpler (which is good!). I've been trying to work out a pier design that would be relatively easy to remove the mount for portable work... in reality, that's probably not a big requirement once I'm set up in a suitable permanent spot!

Al.