PDA

View Full Version here: : Observatory advice, please

daik
18-02-2014, 08:53 PM
Hello all,
I have a slight conundrum. We are in the process of getting extensions to the house, however this will mean I loose the spot that I have for my telescope. At the moment it is not a permanent set-up. Now with the plans still being drawn up I am contemplating if I should try to get a permanent set-up on the second floor. I understand that I may have some issues with hot air and such. Of course having a dome would also make my house look seriously cool :)

I do not think I can put up another structure in the backyard, and the only spaces left would be under trees anyway. I'm thinking that with proper insulation in the floor, and insulated walls and doors perhaps a dome on top of a heated house could work. Is this a fool's errand? Am I better off spending my money on something else? Right now I am quite uncertain of what to do, I do not want to loose my ability to use my telescope but at the same time if having it in the house will only give me grief perhaps I am better off doing something different, whatever that may be.

-daniel

PhilTas
18-02-2014, 09:15 PM
Hi Daniel,
Have a look through the photo gallery on the SkyShed Pod website. There are some very impressive roof top observatories pictured.
Cheers Phil

Peter.M
18-02-2014, 09:20 PM
for imaging or visual? I say because as an imaging platform I imagine a rooftop system will have problems with vibrations too being so high and attached to something with people moving around in it.

Bart
19-02-2014, 11:04 AM
I am not an engineer so feel free to tear me to bits. :rolleyes:

I think you are going to need some significant flooring structure to stop vibration and bounce from moving around on the floor while using the scope. Maybe even a concrete pillar coming from below ground level to at least hold the mount with an wooden floor around it.

Nothing worse than trying to look through a scope that is vibrating all the time. :question:

daik
19-02-2014, 09:09 PM
Thank you all for your advice, I've gotten some things to think about.

To answer some of the questions:
Imaging or Visual?
Two months ago I would say imaging, but recently I've been thinking about doing all imaging through something like itelescope.net (have yet to try it out, of course). However, the 'upstairs' is an attic space so there will not be anyone but me moving around up there, especially at night. I think vibrations may actually not be a problem.

I've looked at a number of domes, not quite certain yet. Right now I'm just trying to decide if this is the right thing to do, or if I am better off doing something different. I think I still have some thinking to do. Heat and vibrations seems to be may main adversaries in this venture.

Again thank you for your thoughts, I have never built an observatory yet so I have lots of research to do to come to the a workable decision.

-daniel

lazjen
19-02-2014, 09:32 PM
You might be better off doing the imaging as you suggested through itelescope.net. Maybe you shouldn't bother with anything permanent at home, but get a good portable setup?

ZeroID
20-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Without isolation a scope mounted to a floor upstairs will be susceptible to vibrations and flexure from anywhere in the house, not just your self moving around up there. Visually not a problem amybe, even for lunar and planetary video but long exposure DSO it's a dubious proposition.
You will also find that your house moves slightly with the seasons, dry earth, wet ground and that will throw any alignment out and you can't adjust it as you will be standing by the mount when you do so it will be affected.
I don't know what a dome on a roofline will do for later resale value either. I have read of some upstairs\attic ob builds but they have always involved an isolated pier going down to ground level. If you can do that then it's workable, expensive, but workable.

daik
20-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Again, thank you all for your thoughts. I am glad I did ask, as it pretty much came down to: "it will probably give you more grief than joy". To that end I have decided over the past few days to not go ahead with a roof top dome, and instead put that money towards something different. Perhaps I can get some trees down and invest in a SkyShed Pod, perhaps something different again. I will work it out. Thank you all for all your advice it was invaluable!