PDA

View Full Version here: : Android App

T-Dogg
15-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Having read everyones comments on the different apps I'm still trying to figure out what are the main differences (or which one is the best) between:

- SkySafari Pro;
- SkEye Pro; and
- Mobile Observatory.

Also, is there such thing as using an app to e-align my telescope to true south? I even have a good cradle to attach to the telescope.

Cheers

glend
15-02-2014, 09:31 PM
Most people don't need, or would use, all of the features of SkySafari Pro, the Plus version has full telescope control functions. I tried Mobile Observatory but it is not up to Sky Safari IMHO.

The problem with using an Android phond or tablet for alignment is the varibility of the device hardware. A good handheld compass is more accurate. What do you need to align? If your mount has GPS onboard all you really need is to level it and align to true south.

noeyedeer
15-02-2014, 10:09 PM
I prefer skeye pro and mobile obs over ss. mainly because in skeye, I stick my phone to my dob with some velcro, and align to a few stars and away I go ... but I havnt done this for some time because of the weather, but it works (even with skeye)

I like mobile obs because it's uncluttered, has telrad circles (which I can't figure out to get with ss pro) to star hop and is what I use as a visual observer without goto etc. I don't rely on one app as such, I use various, even books and charts ... but it's easier to use a phone app outside than a book.

not knocking skysafari, it's probably good if you have the need for it which I don't, but you may with a goto ...also I don't need 500meg hogging my phone with images from Hubble when the net is available nor do I need a trillion star catalogue when I can only view half a million etc. whatever works for you I guess

matt

T-Dogg
16-02-2014, 06:02 PM
I was pretty much trying to find an app version to align my mount/scope to true south. Amongst other things the app can do.

noeyedeer
16-02-2014, 09:36 PM
I wonder if there's a compass app that has a true pointer, that takes into account magnetic variance for a given GPS position. I might search for one after inxs lol

matt

smart compass pro has true north ... hmm might find it. lol I already had it in smart tools .. which I use to level and use as an inclometer for alt measurements. just didn't realise I had to turn on some setting on my phone to give me my true north variance.... which I'm figuring out if it's live .. or I manually have to minus the 11.1°

I think it's not live and I have to adjust ... that said other compasses have that dooby thing to rotate on the outside to offset, like in orienteering .. dunno what it's called but I'll try it when the skies clear. also you should have email and pm Ted

noeyedeer
16-02-2014, 10:53 PM
skeye pro can look a bit lame compared to fancy apps .. but it does have the full ngc and ic catalogue .. and you can vary their display by surface brightness and magnitude .. as the saying goes .. simple things are often the best. (that and what I've already added earlier)

matt

ZeroID
17-02-2014, 11:05 AM
I find any of the star apps or compasses apps somewhat variable and not accurate. Useful nonetheless. Google Sky seems most stable of the free ones but lacks information. SkyEye is pretty good. Tossing up whether mobile Observatory is worth trying, or Stellarium.

The Inclinometer is useful and seems quite accurate to set your dec angle. The trick with it is to use the device aligned in both directions ie take a measurement then turn the tablet\phone 180 * and check it reads the same. If it doesn't then you split the difference and there you have level or dec angle pretty dang close.

AG Hybrid
18-02-2014, 03:11 PM
I use SkySafari Pro because it allows me to use the Nexus Astro Device (http://www.astrodevices.com/products/Nexus/Nexus.html) for wireless DSC's connected to my tablet star charts. Very very cool product indeed.

coldknights
18-02-2014, 05:48 PM
SkySafari pro for android is great you can use Bluetooth or wifi but hold off until the next version is out next month we believe ! And they do discount it so hoping it will be like the apple version around $20

Shano592
18-02-2014, 06:38 PM
If you are looking for just true South, there is an apk called GPS Status.

It shows true, as well as magnetic North and South.

coldknights
18-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Hi Shane have you got a link to it as there are a few with the same name on google play !

noeyedeer
18-02-2014, 06:56 PM
thanks Shane .. works a treat.

matt

ps, sorry Cathy I downloaded mine off the interwebs not Google play.. but can give you the link if you want it

coldknights
18-02-2014, 07:03 PM
That would be great Matt !

There are a few with the same name on google play ,

noeyedeer
18-02-2014, 07:12 PM
sent a pm Cathy. posted a pic to show it's working

matt

coldknights
18-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Got it !

Gps Status & Toolbox !