PDA

View Full Version here: : Who said that Professional Astronomers and Amateurs cannot work togeather!!!!.

Park123
04-02-2014, 09:43 PM
This is another great example of how both can work together for real scientific work.
This was great team work between Me,Dan Milisavljevic and Maria Drout and worked out very well.
I only had one image of a new suspect Supernova in a small 14.4 magnitude galaxy in Vela. I was not happy with reporting a TOCP to the wider astronomical community till I had more data and it was daytime in New Zealand.
Dan Milisavljevic a Professional Astronomer from Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics had informed me some days before that he was at the 6.5-m Magellan Baade telescope at Las Campanas Observatory Chile, just in case I had any supernova suspects if so he could attempt a spectra to confirm its type. As I know Dan would not mind I emailed him directly as I have done many times before with my new suspect.Dan was able to both confirm and do the spectra.This was pretty cool to have a 6.5 metre scope do a confirming image for me!!! It worked out very well. This was before even the TOCP report had been posted and all in the space of about 5 hours!!!,
As a bit of back ground after a few years of sending Dan supernova suspects I finally met Dan in October 2013 at Kitt Peak where he asked me as a guest observer.Dan has done many spectra for us and some of the BOSS discoveries have had papers written by Dan and we have even had the HSTimage 2013ek which was exciting for all.Here is a link if you are interested in his story
http://www.bosssupernova.com/hstimageofsn2013eknew.htm
Attached is the image taken with the 6.5 m telescope and spectra

mithrandir
04-02-2014, 10:32 PM
Now that is serious oneupmanship Stu. It goes to show how an amateur with runs on the board can have even suspect observations taken seriously.

DavidTrap
04-02-2014, 10:46 PM
Like!

rally
04-02-2014, 10:52 PM
Well earned and deserved Stu.

As far as SN discoverers go, I expect most would now regard you as the professional !

Cheers

Rally

gary
04-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Great stuff Stu. Great story. Well done!

Greg Bock
05-02-2014, 10:06 AM
Yes, you've been on fire for the last couple of years, let's see if you can outdo all that in 2014. You're certainly well and truly on your way.
Excellent work.
Now, if only the weather here in SE Qld would clear enough to help out...grrr

PeterM
05-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Not only is this a great and ongoing story about amateurs and professionals collaborating but Stu and his wife Lyn are really down to Earth, nice people.
BOSS team 100 sn will come up this year and maybe even Stu's personal 100.
It's a great ride so far, maybe only a few more years until the really big scopes that are coming will make what we do a lot lot harder.

multiweb
05-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Well done. :thumbsup: