PDA

View Full Version here: : Samsung Galaxy S3

ZeroID
03-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Splurged out and bought one of these over the weekend. I've already got a SONY tablet, 10" which is great in the house but too big and heavy out in the Ob. This was the lowest spec that had the GPS and therefore the location capabilities to run Astro apps. And I have to say I'm quite impressed with it. Seems quite responsive and plenty of free apps for my purposes. Battery life seems excellent, it's currently showing about 18 hours left and I've been using it at work for 4-5 hours. Even comes with an 'Office' app that works quite well.
Price ... $288 NZ which I thought was ok.
8 gigs RAM of which I still have 4.5 gigs left but I'll get an SD card later to hold more .
New toy, good fun ... :D

ZeroID
04-02-2014, 09:08 AM
Correction, it's a Tab 3, not S3.
No phone.
Still like it. I've put Paddies LMC and SMC pdfs on and Takahashis(?) global star maps. Google Sky, SkyEye, Lunar maps and some generic logging application for observations.
I don't do games but I'll get some music loaded for nights outside.

lazjen
04-02-2014, 10:02 PM
You might like to check out SkySafari and AstroPanel as well - can be useful.

ZeroID
05-02-2014, 11:08 AM
SkySafari costs $$$ :rolleyes: , Google Sky works well. I've loaded Astropanel. Seems to have some mixed reviews so we'll see how it goes. I normally check our metservice site and their satellite pix to see what's happening.

MortonH
05-02-2014, 11:16 PM
I have the Tab 3 as well.

Can recommend Stellarium mobile (free) and Mobile Observatory (v cheap).

Also PrediSat & SatTrack for ISS passes and Iridium flares.

Camelopardalis
06-02-2014, 03:36 PM
Given you've just blown almost $300 on a phone you might as blow a few $ on sky safari, it's arguably the best astronomy app on any mobile platform. The regular version is AU$2.99 (at least, for iPhone...), that's less than a cup of coffee on this side of the ditch, but the Plus version has more comprehensive databases at AU$15.99...treat yourself ;)

MrB
06-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Same for the Droid machines, tho the Plus version is $1 more at $16.99.
It's the only app I've ever paid for! :D

I will be upgrading to the Pro version eventually, the iOS version was recently only slightly more expensive than the 'Plus' version at ~$20 for the newly released revision.
There are hints that the new revision of the Driod version will have a similar introductory price when it is eventually released.

Camelopardalis
06-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Yeah, even for those of you that enjoy having their ads tracked and your freedoms violated, SkySafari is a worthy only purchase :lol:

But great tip also Simon, the sale prices do come around with some regularity ;)

MrB
06-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Yeah because Apple is squeaky clean :rolleyes:

Camelopardalis
06-02-2014, 05:07 PM
That'll be because their company slogan isn't 'do no evil' :lol:

OT I know, but please enlighten me in a separate thread or PM as I could use having SWMBO's errant apple buying discouraged for some good reason :thumbsup:

Regardless of platform, SkySafari is one of the ones I happily hand over my $ for...great piece of software IMO

MrB
06-02-2014, 05:26 PM
Apple apps have just as much access to data on your iOS device as on any other device, the only real difference is that since iOS6 you can go into the settings on an iOS device and disable the access that the apps have to SMS's and contact lists etc. Tho this is not something the majority of iOS users are aware of. http://ipod.about.com/od/UsingiOS6/ss/Using-Iphone-Privacy-Settings-In-Ios.htm

This was also possible, briefly, with Android 4.3, in 'App Ops'
Google revoked user access to 'App Ops' in 4.4.2 and now there's a bit of a furore on. Hopefully(but not likely) Google will buckle and return the 'feature'.
The only real option for droid users in the meantime is to 'root' the device. http://www.howtogeek.com/177915/how-to-restore-access-to-app-ops-in-android-4.4.2/

Having said all that, Sky Safari's permissions list for android contains nothing alarming, they're not accessing the phone, reading contact lists, reading SMS's or anything dodgy like that, it all appears above board.

Camelopardalis
06-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Given the iOS adoption rates, most iOS users have the option to keep an eye on it. Google should step up and do the right thing by their user base, users shouldn't be compelled to root their phone for it. Their respective bowing to media and advertising lobbying is shameful IMO, but then I'm just an old fart :sadeyes: and don't get me started on shady app devs :lol:

I've seen nothing untoward trying to escape from SkySafari in my packet sniffs, but I haven't checked the latest version :sadeyes:

ZeroID
09-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Tablet only, no phone. I've got a couple of those for work, I don't need no more !!

I haven't been able to find Mobile Stellarium for free anywhere. I'd prefer it if it's around. I'm very loathe to pay out for apps as I don't trust the sites with my credit card numbers. In most cases there are free alternative apps available.

I just threw a 16 gig micro card into the Tablet, I'll get some music and other stuff in. The more I play with it the more I find how similar it is to a PC in operation, you just have to find the paths to all the functions it has. Sometimes they are not obvious. Been useful at work too.

MortonH
10-02-2014, 08:23 AM
Go to the Google Play store and search for "Stellarium mobile Noctua software".

coldknights
10-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Download and install Bluestacks and what app you have brought on Google play you now can use on the pc .
We downloaded and installed it the other night and was very easy to operate because we had Allready bought SkySafari Pro from google play we did a search for it on Bluestacks program once we logged in to our google play account and downloaded it to the pc for FREE and could use it !
But it won't control the scope as no active com ports.

May be at a later date Bluestacks will port a serial coms . :eyepop:

But that may be just wishfull thinking

ZeroID
10-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Not free... I keep my card OFF the web but I might have to bite the bullet on this one.
I'll keep working with SkyEye and Google Sky for now but Stellarium is my preferred option.

lazjen
10-02-2014, 07:21 PM
If you're concerned about your credit card, you could open a special account just for internet usage, with a low limit.

Also, for the Google Play Store, you can enter your card details but not have it retain them online. It's a bit more painful to re-enter the data each time, but I have little faith in organisations keeping that data securely long term.

SteveInNZ
11-02-2014, 05:57 AM
We have a different tactic. The card is so full that even if I gave someone all the numbers, they'd only have a few dollars to spend.

MortonH
11-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Sorry, forgot I had to pay for it.

noeyedeer
11-02-2014, 07:47 PM
the thing with android is most if not all paid apps can be found for free with a Google search for name .apk I'm not saying you should .. but it is all out there.

also, for what it's worth mobile observatory is my most used app. I prefer it over sky safari just because it's a lot cleaner and not as junked up with features I don't use. if I want to zoom into planets, I use pocket planets.

matt

tlgerdes
12-02-2014, 12:22 PM
That's how you get nasty infections in your dongle :P

ZeroID
12-02-2014, 01:30 PM
OK, I have avoided all the nasty infections, my dongle is clean.

Enough double inuendo anyway ...

Found a rather cute astro app which puts a solar system clock on the screen with real planetary movement out to Jupiter. No ads or bugs with it so far. And FREE !!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kuba.livewall.astroclock&hl=en

Actually quite useful if were explainng to someone the planets positions.
Cool ..

ZeroID
12-02-2014, 01:53 PM
Just had a look at that and went through the video. Looks damn good to me. Another one to seriously thaink about.

noeyedeer
13-02-2014, 05:57 AM
honestly it's not up there with catalogues .. but for me as a visual observer it does what I want. specially having telrad circles to star hop, and is cleaner than skeye (pro) and ss pro .. but not the full ngc (a select 2500) but it does have the Messier Caldwell and the hidden treasures list from the book. the PPM star catalogue with stars to 11th mag. Either way it's clean and usefull when combined with other apps.

matt