PDA

View Full Version here: : Takahashi Mewlon 210 F11.5

Kunama
26-01-2014, 02:40 PM
I finally got to experience the Tak Mewlon 210 at its best. Last night we had very good seeing so I set up the Mewlon outside nice and early around 9.00pm ................. then promptly fell asleep watching television :mad2: ...........
fast forward to 2.30am the new puppy's whining woke me :D .....

By now the Mewlon had been sitting out several hours under its dew cover and the OTA was COLD !!!

Using various LVWs as well as the Pentax XF8.5 and my new Hyperion Aspherical 31mm I was treated to brilliant views....... their advertised "APO like" views are pretty well on the spot. :eyepop:

The Tak people certainly knew what they were doing with this design ..... :thumbsup:

Allan
26-01-2014, 03:23 PM
That's a very classy looking set-up you've got there Matt. It's no wonder the views are so good.

MortonH
26-01-2014, 03:38 PM
The scope and mount look made for each other.

casstony
26-01-2014, 03:51 PM
How does the Mewlon compare to the TSA120 Matt?

Kunama
26-01-2014, 05:09 PM
Thanks, the Mewlon only really shows its pedigree when its allowed to reach ambient, no surprises there.

I'm pleased with the package, actually the 210 was bought to test the water before committing to the Mewlon 250.

The TSA shows more contrast but the Mewlon shows more of the fainter stuff so like everything in this game you have to decide what things are important to you. I think the TSA is as good a 120mm refractor as you will find anywhere but 120mm does not show you nebulae and fainter DSOs like the M210. Compared to what I remember of 8" cassegrains, the Mewlon is in a different league once it has cooled sufficiently.

The Baader 2" Dielectric diagonal is also a noticeable step above standard 2" mirrors and has the benefit of very secure eyepiece clamping with no eyepiece tilt or off-axis shift.

brian nordstrom
27-01-2014, 02:39 AM
:) I here you there Matt when perfectly columinated and cooled these are an awesome visual scope , looks happy on the T-Rex there .

I took this one to 806x using my TV Radian 3mm , one special night in Darwin with zero image breakdown , spectacular views and image scale that only happens once in a while , I hope you get the chance to see what this scope can really do when every thing falls into place .
She is a special scope .

Brian.

Larryp
27-01-2014, 09:17 AM
Great looking outfit, Matt!

issdaol
27-01-2014, 12:20 PM
Hi Matt,

Welcome to the Takahashi Mewlon owners family :cheers:

Now that you have used the 210 You can imagine the types of visuals that the Mewlon 300 provides :D

I have used the Mewlon 250 extensively and it is an ideal scope for portability in this class of scope.

Maybe a the first annual meeting of a Canberra Takahashi owners club is called for.

When my building is complete I will offer my property as a Dark Sky Venue :)

Cheers
Phil

Kunama
27-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Hey Phil, Happy New Year, has the construction started yet?
I spent sometime on Jupiter last night and even at 58x with the LVW42mm this scope impresses.
The detail was very good although the seeing fluctuated as I was looking over a neighbour's roof and the scopes was still cooling down so I stuck with the 17, 22 and 42 eps.
I will be keeping my eye out for an M250 and would love to have a look through your M300 at some time.

The diff spikes took a little while to get used to but are certainly not distracting enough to be of any concern. I am going to see about some modifications to the finder, I will shorten the tube (actually get another tube made )and then fit the Tak 1.25" prism diagonal to it with the Pentax 12mm ep, should be a goer.

Cheers,

LewisM
27-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Can I bring my VC200L? Can I? Can I? It's like a Poor Man's Mewlon ;)

It's good having my original VC200L back (AGAIN!) - Dave Trapp would be happy :)

Allan
27-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Hey Phil, just looking at your signature there, you wouldn't happen to like Takahashi gear would you?

issdaol
28-01-2014, 09:36 AM
What gave that impression ??? LoL If I could convince the good Minister of Finance I would have more :whistle:

issdaol
28-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Hi Matt,

The good ole NSW department of lands is taking their sweet time as usual so I cant start construction until after that. Yass shire council had all their surveys and paperwork done in hardly any time.

Happy for you to have a go. Though if you suddenly get convinced that you need a M300 instead of a M250 the missus had better not blame me :lol:

Sounds like some good tinkering you have planned there :-)

Cheers
Phil

issdaol
28-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Welllll .... we might have to charge a corkage fee ....... :lol:

Actually I would be very interested in looking through a VISAC scope :)

Many years ago I did own a Vixen Refractor. It was very nice but in those days very expensive and hard to get in Australia.