PDA

View Full Version here: : Çelestron 102 or Saxon 80ED

Karls48
14-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Hi
I seek opinion and advice from learned Iceinspace forum on which scope to buy.
For last few months I have been using wobletronic 80mm refractor I got from eBay for 50 bucks. And I was quite impressed by easiness of use and quality of view and the images I was getting from it. Sure, the focuser is a garbage and optics are not very good, but it is easy to set up and to use. It was first time I used refractor, I got 4” Mac Meade ETX 105 and GS 6” Newtonian scopes. Because I’m got very little time to set up 6”reflector on equatorial mount I basically use 6”refractor only when I’m on holidays. ETX105 is a nice scope but for visual use I find view to dim at F14. My main interest is in acquiring database of images of G type stars up to 30 LY distant over period of 3 to 5 years and to do astrometry on it. But now and then I like to have peek on the universe and the planets near by.
I’m tossing between Celestron 102 wideview and Saxson ED 80
Celestron 102mm x 500mm focal length F5. It got very good reviews and got extra 20 mm aperture. It also includes diagonal, Finderscope , Tripod mounting block, 2 “ Rack and pinion focuser and two eyepices for $469.
Saxson 80ED 80mm x 600 focal length F7.5. 20mm less aperture, ED lens, Tripod mounting block and 2”Cryford focuser for $549
I will use one of those scopes occasionally on photographic tripod and on old Celestron GoTo mount most of time.
Finally, I’m pushing 60 and my eyesight is not as good as it used to be. Brighter image, better I can see the details.
All advice will be appreciated, and yes the cost is an object.
Karl

astronut
14-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Hi Karl, With all things being equal, and with these two scopes it is, I would go for the extra aperture. It will make your objects brighter especially the D.S.O.'s It will also give good wide field views and still give respectful magnification. Cheers, John:)

Lester
14-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Hi Karl,

Go for the Celestron= larger aperture, brighter views and not as expensive. Hope someone will jump on here that has used one to inform you on what the star images would be like.

All the best.

Karls48
15-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Thanks guys, I was thinking along those lines too. I want to see if someone would come up with good argument for 80mm ED.
I have ordered Celestron 102 from Andrews.
Karl

[1ponders]
15-07-2006, 11:18 AM
I have the 102 f/10 and its not a bad little scope. At 500mm f/5 though I'm wondering what the chromatic aberation is like. While not objectionable in mine, at that short FL it may be more obvious. As for the 80ED, mine gets far more use than the 102, if only for the much better focuser, the R&P on the Celestron is a bit rugged though it can be improved. The views through the 80 definately show much less CA, and would want to for the price comparison.

Starkler
15-07-2006, 11:26 AM
FWIW, I bought an ed80 and was quite dissapointed in what I could see with it, especially where there is light pollution. I subsequently replaced it with a 130mm f5 alt-az mounted newt (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9484)and am much happier :)

ving
15-07-2006, 11:30 AM
seems to me it depends on what you are looking at. if CA doesnt bother you then the bigger aperture seems advantagous :)

oh and welcome aboard :)
:hi:

xelasnave
15-07-2006, 11:49 AM
What about a pier for the 6inch with a good cover you can leave the mount in place and only have to bring out the ota. I dont have a pier yet and leave tripods outside and only bring them in when it rains as a simple cover protects them under normal conditions. MAybe a garden shed observatory $200 will get you a squat shed which would be large enough( I have been looking at this myself)
alex
alex

Karls48
15-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Ving
On the woblertronics 80mm x400 CA was noticeable only the Moon and planets. And planets have kind of yellowish colour. Stars seem to be CA free. So I hope that the Celestron will be same or better. Any focuser will be better then the one that is on this scope. Slightest touch and star image may disappear from the view.
Alex
I’m thinking about building pier. And replacing 6” tube with GS 8” x 800mm OTA. That’s about the limit that GSO SV1 mount can carry. We bought land in Philippines will move there when I retire. Cost of living is cheap and sky is dark. But I will miss the southern sky. Shed is out of the question. We live in townhouse and the backyard is size of handkerchief.
Karl

dhumpie
18-07-2006, 09:25 AM
Hey Carl,

I tend to agree with Alex and since you already have a 6" f/5, how about making a dob mount for it so you can use it as a grab and go? I had the same dilemma as you as did and went down the 102mm f/5 route. I also have one of them Orion/Synta 80ST's (80mm f/5). Surprisingly the 102mm was a worse performer. My little Orion could be pushed to about 133x and showed me 4-5 belts on Jupiter, with the CA and all, but the 102mm could not go beyond even 100x. Also the views were not much brighter than the 80ST and views of globs were disappointing. Resolution levels were almost the same. The other strike against it was that it was much heavier, requiring a beefier mount than my Optex photo tripod. I had all three out one night and the 102mm was totally blown away by my 6" f/5. Southern globs were resolved down to the core in the 6" f/5, while there were a few twinkles in the 102mm and 80ST. Also planetary views were unreal in the 6" as opposed to the other two smaller scopes, with old Jupiter showing festooning, etc. In the end I sold the 102mm f/5. I reckon if you can go the dob route for the 6" f/5 go for it. I know I am slowly going down that path as I too have little time to set up the big dob or the 6" EQ on weekday nights. Hell most time I only use my 20x80LW's :)

Just my 2 cents worth.

Darren

Karls48
18-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Hi Darren.
Thanks for input. Yes I agree with you, the view from 6” is far superior to my 4” ETX Mac. After seeing Astroman's pier I make up my mind to build similar pier. That will give me more time for observing. I stared scrounging for pipe and steel plate. I will not make it as beefy as Astoman. It will carry just GS SV1 mount and maybe 8” x 800mm sometimes-in future. Just clip the OTA on and maybe touch up alignment (I hope). I have ordered Celestron 102 and will use it when I go to my sister’s farm for weekend. Should pick it up tomorrow. I will let you all know if it is any good. My ETX-105 is a nice scope and when used with the Sky Map to synchronise it on chosen star it will keep the star in the view indefinitely. But after slewing it must be left alone for minute or so, to settle down. The problem for me is that at F14 image is too dim for my failing eyesight. I use it for imaging or to view the stars on the monitor instead in eyepiece.
Karl