PDA

View Full Version here: : Tak FS-60C and Introduction

eeyore
15-01-2014, 12:25 PM
This is my first post to this forum, and just thought I'd provide a little background. I was previously quite passionate about astronomy about 10 years ago, but then work, life and then family got in the way, and I have recently re-kindled my interest. Mainly on the back of two things, firstly, my eldest son, who is 5, starting taking an interest in stars and second, that i wanted to get back into it, and move eventually into astrophotography. During my last period of interest, I ended up with a WO Megrez 80SD, EQ5 mount and a small range of eyepieces. In recent times, I have invested in a Tak FS-60C and plan to do a general upgrade of my equipment, of which, I am sure I will be posting about later...

My main question. I am about to receive the FS-60C sometime this week, and I am quite excited about it. I have a few questions, which really relate to the accessories, of this (essentially a) telescope system. I would appreciate for any advice, mainly relating to:

1. Is the Tak 1.25" prism diagonal a really good match for visual performance. Or is an alternative a better match, say a WO 1.25" dieletric or Baader 1.25" prism?
2. C2x, is that a barlow, or a custom designed extender for the Tak?
3. What is the difference in performance for visual and astrophoto between the Q and the CQ. I understand the CQ fits just after the lens module and well ahead of the focuser, whereas the Q fits just before or after the Q. So I imagine that they will perform and function differently. I read that they can be combined, to make a FL=960mm scope.
4. Best 'high power' eyepiece for this (that can be readily purchased), my short list is: TV 3-6/2-4, Tak 3.7mm Hi-LE. Other alternatives? Prefer decent eye relief, so high power orthos are out.

My initial interest will be in Lunar and Planetary observations with my son. Then it will move to a wide field imaging. Anyway, thanks for reading and appreciate your response!

Kunama
15-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Hello David and welcome,
Welcome back to the hobby/passion/obsession that it is. I too took a sabbatical for family/work etc reasons.
The FS60 is a very nice little scope and in my opinion its performance belies its modest aperture. It is very sharp and almost devoid of CA.
I have just today bought the 1.7x module so can't vouch an opinion on them, however the little scope has shown itself to be a great performer.

I use mine with the Vixen LVW and Pentax XF eyepieces. They give a very usable eye-relief of 20mm. The LVW 3.5mm at 101x gives brilliant views if the seeing is reasonable, the stars are pinpoints without any halos or flashes of colour. I also use the 8.5mm XF for nice wider views.

I am waiting at the moment for some Baader bits from Telescope Express to install the 2" ClickLock and then will use the Baader Cool Ceramic Solar Prism to view our nearest star.

Up to now I have been using the Tak 1.25" prism diagonal, it is very good. I am also waiting on the Baader 2" dielectric mirror diag, so will let you know more when they arrive this week.
Obviously at 60mm it won't satisfy everyone's tastes but for Lunar, Solar and wide views it is worth every cent to me.

Look forward to reading your thoughts.

Cheers,
Matt

eeyore
15-01-2014, 02:25 PM
Matt,

Thanks. With kids, I find that picking up this hobby/interest has been good on a number of fronts, as I can share this with a few others! I am waiting for delivery/arrival of the scope, but given the weather forecast in Melbourne, looks like not many good opportunities this week.

Question, why did you choose the 1.7 Q rather than the CQ 1.6 extender? Also, I have been reading that you can adapt 2" accessories to the back, but I can't find the exact adaptors that is available currently to do that, any ideas?

Actually interested in the white light solar observation, as I have never done it, and I think the kids would be really interested in that, since a. it can be done during the day, and b. things actually happen... Have you tried any H-alpha filters on the scope?

Kunama
15-01-2014, 07:30 PM
I bought the 1,7Q from the IIS classifieds no reason for this instead of the other except that this allows me to use the Baader ClickLocks on the back.
I was about to get an adapter made for the Baader ClickLock but just found that Optcorp sell them. You can however get a Takahashi adapter which has a compression ring from any Tak dealer. (TOA0060 refers)

I haven't done Ha with this scope at all only whitelight with the Baader 2" Cool Ceramic Herschel Prism. Hopefully my Baader bits arrive this week so I can post some pics of the setup.

eeyore
15-01-2014, 10:08 PM
Matt, be great to see the setup once all the bits arrive. My scope should arrive tomorrow...

anj026
15-01-2014, 10:17 PM
For high power eyepiece I recommend the TV 3-6 zoom. I use mine in a TV60 which has the same 60/360mm focal arrangement. At the 3mm setting the exit pupil is 0.5mm and about as small as I like to go. The zoom feature makes it very versatile. It is great for lunar and planets.

Having said that if you have the 1.6x or 1.7x focal extender then you probably don't need the 3-6 zoom.

brian nordstrom
16-01-2014, 08:47 AM
:sadeyes: Hi David .
I had , and never should have sold a lovely FS60C last year , beautiful little scope that as they say ,' Punched well above its weight ' from using my Celestron Axiom LX 31mm to my 3mm TV radian it done it all very well .
I used a 1.7x X-tender Q to get higher powers easier and often hit 150-200x on the moon and Jupiter ( I am mainly a luna/planetary viewer as well ) , as Matt said awesome little scopes and you wont be dissapionted .
Brian.

eeyore
16-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Brian, thanks, what EP did you use when you had the FS60c+Q? Did you ever use the 1.6 extender, and from what little I understand, it can be shared withy the Sky90 and FC100d.

Andy, thanks, I don't mind the zoom, how would you compare it to other high quality short FL EP? As mentioned, I was looking at Tak Hi-LE, Abbé, Orthos, etc.

anj026
16-01-2014, 03:29 PM
In the short focal lengths I have only compared the TV 3-6 zoom to TMB Planetary eyepieces 6, 5 and 4mm. I sold those three after getting the zoom. I also had a 5mm Nagler t6. That one also got sold because the view is just as good with the zoom at 5mm except for the apparent field size. The zoom is more versatile. I am sure there are better eyepieces such as Zeiss AO, Pentax XO and TMB Monocentrics. However for a 60mm apo I feel the Nagler zoom is ideal. It is compact, versatile, enough eye relief and almost as good as the ultimates. :)

jamespierce
17-01-2014, 07:00 AM
I've use the FC60, Sky90, FC100 and the TSA120 ... all perform better with straight high power EPs than the 1.6x unit from Takahashi ... if you can handle the eye relief. The nagler 3-6mm zoom is exceptional in all regards except the small 50 degree FOV. The takahashi LEs are also stunning, but expensive and much more fiddle for small percentages of improvement vs the zoom.

eeyore
17-01-2014, 10:20 AM
Thanks guys for the feedback, it looks like the consensus is the Nagler 3-6mm zoom is indeed a fine eyepiece - but more importantly, a good match for the FS60C. Well, now to justify this purchase (after just buying the FS60!)

N1
17-01-2014, 11:55 AM
Hi David, regarding H alpha - I use a 60mm Solarmax II on my FS 60C, which yields addictive views. I had to buy an adaptor to mate the two.

My little Tak gets used with TV eyepieces ranging from 3.5 to 40mm. Couldn't be happier. The 7 Nag and 24 Pan are my favourites, for Solar/Lunar and wide field/large DSOs, respectively. Initially considered another even, shorter EP for >100x power but never felt the need.

I use a WO 1.25" dielectric diagonal, works fine. However all of my EPs of 24mm or greater vignette in it. I understand this is regardless of brand of the diag. Only straight-through will give a sharp edge for those.

Have had the scope to 2 years now and have spent absolute hours at the eyepiece.

Cheers Mirko

eeyore
17-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Was hoping that the scope would arrive today. But given the bush fires in SA and VIC, and that tonight is pretty crummy, a smaller loss. But still, it would've been good to play with it though.... Still awaiting.

Kunama
18-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Don't you just hate waiting ...........

Here is a couple pics of my white light solar setup to keep you going till your scope arrives :D:D

The Tak FS60CB + CQ 1.7X module + Baader 2" SCT Clicklock + Baader 2" Cool Ceramic Herschel Prism + Vixen LVW 22mm 2" EP.

At the moment it is 'jury rigged' while awaiting an adapter and a 105mm CSV conversion kit from TakAmerica. As it is the ClickLock adapter is locked onto the focuser directly using the 6 grubscrews but this will be replaced by a M55.9>50.8 UNC threaded reducer next week. The picture shows the remaining infocus available with the scope focused on Sol. The CSV tube will gain 22mm less the 10mm lost to the thread reducer, so a net gain of 12mm.

eeyore
18-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Matt, a very nice looking rig! I was thinking about the Baader wedge, or either a Thousand Oak glass filter. How are views from your combo?

Kunama
18-01-2014, 08:36 PM
I only had a short time with it today before the clouds and smokey haze rolled into Canberra but it compared very well to my previous setup which was the TSA120. The Baader wedge is excellent. Today was the first time I used the CQ1.7x module but I did not have time to compare the view without it at the same magnification.

eeyore
19-01-2014, 12:03 AM
Yeah, the heat and bush fires down here is pretty bad, so the air quality hasn't been great, and now very clouded. I think the solar filter would be a cheaper start, as I have never done any solar observation before. The Baader gives a white/grey view right? The Thousand Oaks gives a orange/yellow right?

eeyore
20-01-2014, 08:15 AM
Just got the scope this morning, and only had a chance to open and look through it for literally 2 minutes. Beautiful fit and finish. Very lovely - no complaints from any of the physical appearance of construction. I had a chance to put a 15mm TV Plossl (that I got over the weekend) on it, and look at a tree in the distance whilst hand-held. So pretty poor setup. The image looks pretty good. No CA that I can see, good contrast and sharp details. I can't wait to use it properly! Now, all those accessories seems so mandatory (like the C2x, Q, flattener, CAA, etc.)